Back & Neck Community
Symptoms of Disc Bulge?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Symptoms of Disc Bulge?

I have been having some strange symptoms for quite some time now.  I am a 31 year old female, overweight, and smoke just under a pack per day (trying to quit).  

My symptoms over the years have been:  chest pain, upper back pain, neck pain, left shoulder and arm pain, fatigue, dizziness, jaw/facial discomfort.  

I have seen a neurologist who dismissed white spots on my brain MRI as nothing.

I have had a couple of EKG's and blood tests for heart, but they all dismiss me as "too young" for heart problems.

I have had upper endoscopy, which showed mild reflux and am taking Protonix 40 mg per day.

I have had gall bladder tests, which they said were ok.

I started seeing chiropractor who noticed I had some problems.  Sent me to Physical Therapy, who is the one that sent me for the T-spine MRI.  Nothing they are doing is helping my problems.

I finally had MRI of C-spine, which showed mildly protruded discs at C3-C4.  Saw neurosurgeon who said this could not cause pain.

I also had MRI of T-spine, which showed mild protrusion at T6-T7.  PCP said this could not be causing my pain.

My question is...do you think this pain sounds like it could be coming from my spine?  Or do you think it sounds more cardiac related?

My heart rate gets up to 120's after mild activity and it takes a long time for it to come down.  My symptoms are present at rest most of the time, and occasionally with activity.

I can't get anybody to take me seriously, so just looking for any advice!

Thank you, Kelly

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Kelly,
How are you? Bulging disc symptoms can vary widely from person to person and important considerations include the location of the disc and the severity of the damage.  It can present with pain, tingling, and numbness that branch out to the shoulders, arms, chest, hands, and fingers. It can also  cause pain to radiate anywhere from the chest to the upper thigh or from the lower back to the buttocks, legs, and feet. The symptoms are usually worse when physically active and gets better  with rest. If the diagnosis is confirmed, conservative treatments like heat application, exercise, physical therapy, medications, and injections are initially done. If it becomes severe, surgery may be indicated. With regards to cardiac issues, additional diagnostic tests such as treadmill, Holter or 2D Echo may also be done to rule out any cardiac problems. Take care and do keep us posted.