Back & Neck Community
Synovial cyst and Possible Surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Synovial cyst and Possible Surgery

I was diagnosed with a synovial cyst on L3 L4 about a year ago.  I have had 3 epidural injections and 1 aspiration and the cyst is still there.  It sits on all the nerves effecting the left side.  I have chroic pain in the legs, pelvin area, across the buttocks and down the back of both legs.  My left leg is weaker and at times I feel like my legs may gave way and lften they are shaky.  My understanding is that the chance of the cyst returning with future epidurals is 70%.  If I undergo surgery and have the cyst removed, the neurosurgeon says it will not return.  Has anyone experienced this or had the surgery that can relate and give me some insight?
Hey laurie how are you.I am a full time firefighter 17 years.I had a L5 S1 spinal fusion done in december of 2008 and 2 synovial cyst were tethered also on my nerves worst pain down leg and they extracted them and my back is great now.Was out from fusion for 4 months but 3 months later ran my first 70.3 mile ironman.cyst are rare but it happens.
It's been almost a year since you posted so I am not sure if you still have your cyst. If not let me tell you my story. I found out in 7/10 that I had a synovial cyst on L5/S1. The pain was unbearbale in my whloe left leg and I had weakness too. Surgeon said nothing will work except surgery. Epidurals do not cure cysts, they simply reduce inflammation in the joints.I had epidurals, facet join injections and took every pain killer u can think of. Anyway, I had surgery, a laminectomy and the cyst was removed as well as scraping some arthritic joint to get to it. Surgeon said cyst was "twisting" my nerve. After about 3 weeks of rest I was back to walking on the treadmill every day. I felt great. I was pain free for 1 month but a new horrfic pain started in October. Now I have left sided thigh, groin and hip pain. Just had an MRI 12/10 and the cyst grew back!!!!!! I can't believe it and neither can my surgeon!! I just told the dr. on medhelp (Abhijeet, V) and he can't believe it either. I have 2 apts. scheduled this week with 2 different surgeons. The only way the cyst will not grow back is to FUSE the 2 bones together. I have a feeling that is what these surgeons will tell me. I have done copious amounts of research on synovial cysts and that seems to be the only conclusion. If u have surgery make sure they fuse the bones together. Recovery seems to be  a lot longer, 6 to 9 months but I hope and pray it's worth it. It's my only shot to get out of this miserable pain. Good luck to you. Keep me posted.
i had a snyovial cyst removed 13 weeks ago.  I had no fusion....but now i am starting to get pain again and the start of numbness. I am worried it grew back I go to the doc this Friday....we shall see.