Back & Neck Community
T-11,12 Disk Herniation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

T-11,12 Disk Herniation

Hi.  Maybe someone can help me.  I just dont know what to do.  I was sent to a pain clinic and walked away very frustrated and still confused.  I have had a burning sensation in the middle of my back, in my right side have hip pain, I have a stiff neck all the time and my arms hurt when I have to reach high for something.  I am a mess.  I  Had an MRI and they told me the following:

Findings:  There is a normal lumbar lordosis and the conus medullaris is in normal positon.  Diffuse discogenic endplate changes are seen and there is slight loss of T2 signal within the disc spaces throughout the lumbar spine consistent with degenerative disk disease.

At T11-12 there is a moderate posterior disc herniation which begins in the left paracentral position, but extruded disc material is seen extending caudally behind the T12 vertebra and extending down the midline.  This does result in mild spinal cord impingement.

Mild diffuse annular disc bulge is seen at T12-L1 without nerve root encroachment.  No significant herniation is seen at L1-2.  Mild diffuse annular disc bulge is seen at L2-3 without nerve root encroachment.  Mild diffuse annular disc bulge is seen at L3-4, again without nerve root encroachment.  The L4-5 disc space is within normal limits.  Mild facet joint narrowing is oted without spinal stenosis.
Small posterior disc bulge is seen at L5-S1 without nerve root encroachment.  Mold facet joint arthropathy is also seen with spinal stenosis.

Can somebody please explain what all this means?  What is the reason for my pain and what and where should I go from here.  I am very confused!
Can I ask your age?
The MRI results do not appear significant except at the T11-12 level with "mild impingement".
That would account for the mid back pain and burning. Not for the hip or neck problems. The arm reaching problem may be because the nerves are inflammed and exacerbated by the stretch.

Who sent you for the MRI and who/why send you to a pain clinic?

I am not a doctor and only speculating on portions of your pain.

Why not go and see a spinal/back surgeo? Bring the MRI films, not the report, for he/she to evaluate.
Good Luck
I am not sure whether you have had any further treatment for your back but I have a similar result with my MRI and have a disk herniation at T11-T12. I am having no luck with pain meds and have been sent to an osteopath who has made things severely worse. My GP has just put me off work for 7 days and so far the rest has no improved anything. I have severe pressure in my midback and burning down to my hip with really bad spasms in my right leg. I am not sure what the next step is but I am going mad with the process of treatment options. I was a pedestrain hit by a car back in May of this year and its now November with no improvement.
I had cervical, thoracic, lumbar-sacral vertebral/disk injuries from a car accident in 2000.  I had a C5-6 fusion.  I was then referred to a pain center and received several steroid epidurals and radiofrequency ablation treatments which gave me some pain relief.  Since then, I have had daily moderate to severe pain which I was told "you just had to learn to live with it" - taking 100 mg of Tramadol (Ultram) 3 times a day for 5 years, and then 800 mg. of Ibuprofen 3 times a day for the past 5 years.  Recently, I had a severe pain episode on my right side which was caused by compensation for all my left sided chronic pain and weakness.  I went to a Chiropractic doctor whose treatment methods over a 3 week period have eliminated ALL pain!!!!  For the first time in 10 years, I am pain free!!!!  I wish my neurosurgeon and anesthetist at the pain center had referred me to a good Chiropractor 10 years ago!!
I need help I have severe back pain at times like I can't get out of bed etc. Got MRI results from doc. but I dont understand them. Small left paracentral disk protrusion at T12 and small bulges at L1 and L4. doc. says MRI is normal but with this pain it's far from the norm. any help?

thanks in advance