Back & Neck Community
T12 Hemangioma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

T12 Hemangioma

I have suffered from severe back pain since September 2010. I had an MRI September 2010; radiologist reported minor degeneration of L5-S1 but no reason as to why there was severe pain. November 2010 began PT (12 visits). During final PT visit onset of sciatica occurred, informed PT Therapist, PT Therapist said this was no problem and would go away in a day or two. Sciatica and severe chronic lower lumbar pain has continued since. It is now July 2011. July 22nd 2011 was given another MRI of lower lumbar. Received radiology report, that states; " Lumbar Spine is normal in alignment. Signal texture of the spinal hernia desiccated L5-S1 disc. There is also subtle end-plate signal heterogeneity about the inferior anterior aspect of T12. There is no fracture or high-grade lesion. A small hemangioma about the inferior aspect of T12 is notable also. Incidental. Disc spaces are preserved, but L5-S1 is desiccated.  Conus maps to L1 normal in appearance and configuration. Assumes 5 non-rib bearing lumbar vertebral bodies and maintained numbering from the patients prior exam. L5-S1: A herniated protrusion of the desiccated disc, increased and now measures 7mm in the superior inferior dimension, 5 mm the end-plate and in the transverse--9mm. The exiting L5 nerves escape but clear mass-effect upon the descending right S1 never is demonstrated. Compared to the prior examination- - worse. Correlate with new or increasing S1 symptoms."

IMPRESSION
1.The disc herniation at L5-S1 has increased. A clear protrusion is now demonstrated which significantly affects the descending right S1 nerve and is likely explanatory to radiculopathy.

Can someone please, please, please, tell me what this means? My Neurologist says I am fine and should not be experiencing any pain, or weakness, numbness with my kinds of injuries. Additionally states that there is nothing to worry about and that there is nothing they can do to help me. I am now 9 months out of work, and am in chronic severe pain. I would like to get back to work. But the drs also state I am not disabled. I can't even bend at the waist, or sit for more than 10 minutes. How am I supposed to find a job that will work around this?
I had almost all of the same symptoms. Suffered from extreme pain, bouts of paralysis, burning in legs (felt like a blow torch!). Suffered for 15 years, 2 states, and 12 doctors. Went through Orthopedics, Neurologists, Chiropractors, Pain Management centers (what a joke they were!) and Physical Therapists. No one listened to MY COMPLAINTS, WHERE I HURT, and WHAT triggered an 'episode of pain".

I finally found an Orthopedist that specialized in Sports Medicine and is working for several major sports teams in the area. He was very conservative. He tried Nerve Blocks (3) which did not work and we went right to Lumbar Microdissectomy. This was in 2008.  I was in over night, but I woke from surgery and did not need any pain meds....it was heaven!!! Went home next day with a 2 " stitch line which is gone, no pain and no problems since. Appears I had 3 nasty bone spurs that the 3 MRI's, countless x-rays etc. did NOT FIND! Once they were removed I felt like I was 20 again! Lets just say that is almost half my age now.

I hope this helps you...DON'T GIVE UP. Keep going till you find that one in a million that really listens. It is worth it. Do not be afraid of the surgery. I was and suffered too long.
God Bless.

TD

P>S> I got the," your just getting older," "It's normal wear and tear,"
"Do more excercise,' and of course the "nothing wrong with you for your age" comments too.