Back & Neck Community
Thecal Sac Nerve Roots

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Thecal Sac Nerve Roots

I just saw a neurosurgeon today to review my lumbar MRI.  He mentioned that the nerves in the thecal sac are all bunched in one area and are not spread out as they should be and this may be part of the cause of my chronic pain.  I would like to research this but dont know what to look for.  Any input would be great.
i have it too. there is alot of stuff on the web about this
I had an MRI done and was told there was intrathecal nerve root clumping suggesting a possible a "possible" prior episode of Arachnoiditis.  How does one determine if they truly have Arachnoiditis?  Do you know if the MRI is enough evidence?
Can anyone tell me if it would be "normal" and I use that term very losely for Arachnoiditis to go unnoticed after several MRI's.  I have been having chronic pain for almost 8 years, and seeing a Pain Management doc for 3 of those years.

I have a call into my pain management doctor  to make my next appoinment so I will definetely talk to him,  since it will months before I can see the other doctor to get any answers.

I quickly did a search for Arachnoiditis and found some very similar symptoms to what I have , but I know they all cross at some point.  Would bowel/bladder dysfunction include difficulty initiating going?  

Thanks for the responses
I understand from all the articles I've read that it is one of the most "underdiagnosed" conditions because it is considered to be rare.  I'd keep pursuing the matter until I got a satisfactory answer from a reputable doctor.  That's what I intend to do.  Wish I could answer your question for you, but my MRI shows typical signs of arachnoiditis, but no one has given me a clear yes you have it or no you don't.  It's really frustrating to suffer with back pain and not know why.  I can empathize with your pain.  
In looking at symtoms (symptoms) I do fall into those categories, but so do other diagnosises.  I have a copy of the MRI, and can compare it to "normal" looking ones and see the difference.  The doctor cant get me in until May, so I am very anxious, not that a diagnosis will change anything.  

I have been told for years that we just need to get over the hump and the pain will be gone, now  I am not so sure.  Its just planning for the future, I was to start taking my Masters level courses for my Occupational Therapy degree and if this is something that will be sticking around for a long long time I need to rethink my plans.  OT is a very physical occupation and I just wont be able to do it.  Thats what is the most frustrating, not knowing.
It is very difficult to get that diagnosis-I dont know why. I have the record of every procedure, examination, medication, test, or consultation I have ever had since this started it was supplied by my insurance company and there are at least 25 different billing diagnosis on it. I have been told verbally I have arachnoiditis but nothing in writing. It may be related to payment issues or legalities. The latest studies I have seen suggest that internal scarring is related to the amount of bleeding present after the incision is closed. There is a way to prevent this bleeding by inserting something - I think it's a piece of the patients fat into the area that stops the bleeding, thus preventing scarring. I could be wrong that it is fat (lord knows I could donate enough for everyone) but the insertion of something I know is correct. Good luck getting a diagnosis. I'm 3 years and counting with constant pain--basically lost all resemblence of my life. I will continue to fight this until I have pain control, which I know is the right of all patient's in pain!!
Hello, My MRI reads that I have a  bone fragment sitting on a nerve root, Can someone tell me what the heck this means in relation to arachnoiditis????? I just was hoping once I got my disability going that I could get surgery, I have talked with others who have had this and siad they got instant relief after the surgery. Someone tellme why I am hearing it is so hard to address this issue. I am not clear on weather it is something that the insurance companies will pay for or if they just give the run around  for years.......................................