Thoracic Back Pain
I am plagued with back problems.  I have had them for as long as I can remember.  I am now a 40 year old male and next Friday I am having low back surgery for L5/S1.  My bigger problem is that a year ago I had an injury to my thoracic spine.  I was at a spring with my daughters.  Walked down a wooden ramp to help them out and slipped.  Both my feet went out from in front of me and I had no way to brace myself.  I landed flat on my back.  When I landed it was more on the left side of center.  It was a little sore for a month or so and then came the fun.  It started off as very pinpoint pain between two ribs in my back on the left.  Had X-rays done that showed no broken ribs.  Stretches and therapy did nothing.  Since then it has slowly progressed.  It began to radiated laterally throughout my rib cage on the left.  Now it has also crossed over the spine and I am having the same pain on the right.  I can't sit up straight ever.  Before it moved to the right side also, if I was sitting up I had to lean to my right to stop the left side ribs from compressing.  I can't lay on my right side because that compresses the left side.  Can't lay on my left side because of the pressure it puts on it.  I am getting nowhere near enough sleep.  I am beginning to have cervical issues also.  Primary ordered a thoracic MRI which the insurance company denied.  So he sent me to a neurologist.  Neurologist looked at everything and decided he wanted to order MRI's for cervical and brain.  So now my primary is trying to push the MRI for my thoracic spine again.  I have tried not to use narcotic pain melds because I have previous addiction issues with them, but I am to the point where I just can't take it anymore.  I have been trying to take care of this with Advil and Tylenol and I just can't anymore.  I am scared to death that they are going to have to do thoracic surgery.  I know they like to wait, but it has been over a year and nothing makes it better.  And now it's getting worse.  Any info or help will be appreciated.
An MRI will usually show much more then an X ray will. I wonder why your insurance is denying it because it really sounds like you need to have one done, like right now. Does your insurance company require a letter from your Dr?
Things have really change with prescription medications in the last year. You may already know about the new laws. Your Dr will not over prescribe. Actually, you may be lucky if he gives you enough to even get your pain to a somewhat tolerable level. That would help for sure. What I'm saying is that even though you had an addiction problem with pain meds before your Dr will most likely be very cautious with what he gives you and how much he gives you. He may do pills counts and urine tests too. He may even try you on something non narcotic.
I'm not sure where you live but I had to pay out of pocket for my MRI's and I was lucky enough to find a place that was very affordable. It's called Metro Imaging. Check to see if they have a location near you. I'm not saying it was extremely cheap but it was so much less then what I would have pain at a hospital. This is if your insurance will not pay for your MRI. You may have to find a way to pay for it yourself. You need that test to find out what's going on and how it can be treated.
I'm so sorry you're going through this. Chronic pain is just awful. Let's hope that you can get the MRI done soon and that you will not need surgery.
We're always here to listen and to help anyway we can.