Back & Neck Community
Thoracic Spine MRI Interpretation HELP!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Thoracic Spine MRI Interpretation HELP!

Hello everyone.

I just got a Thoracic Spine MRI, and the results are very hard for me to decipher, results below. Number 2 doesn't make sense to me and I'm ESPECIALLY concerned about #3, which sounds VERY SCARY. Here's what the report says:

DIAGNOSIS

1. T9-T10 small central bulging annulus
2. Mild dextroscoliosis of the thoracic spine
3. Probable tiny thyroid nodules. Further evaluation with thyroid sonography could be performed if warranted.

COMMENTS

There is mild dextroscoliosis of the thoracic spine. There is a small hemangioma in the T4 vertebral body on the left.

At T9-T10, there is a mild central annular bulge with mild effacement of the ventral CSF space with very slight thinning of the ventral sleeve of the CSF. There is subtle flattening of the ventral thoracic spinal cord at this level without signal alteration within the cord, without significant spinal stenosis at this level. The thoracic spinal cord is otherwise normal in caliber and signal intensity.

On the most superior axial T2 image 21 and correlating sagittal images, there are small FOCI OF HYPERINTENSE T2 SIGNAL I NTENSITY WHICH ARE ISOINTENSE TO SLIGHTLY HYPOINTENSE ON T1 WITHIN THE THYROID GLAND SUGGESTING SMALL NODULES.

Does anyone know what any of this means? I mean, I'm going to have to go to an orthopedic specialist, but this all sounds very scary, and I was just hoping for some general information until I can get in to see him.

Thanks everyone. :-)
These MRI reports always sound worse than they are.  Spinal stenosis is bad, but you don't have it.  Everything else sounds ok.  You have a mild disc bulge.  It says everything else is normal.  The only thing I would get checked out is this *thyroid nodules* business.  

I'm not a doctor, but I've had a lot of MRI's so I kind of got used to the language.  Also, keep in mind that this is just the interpretation of the radiologist.  The doctor has to really look at it.
Hi, Cindee.

Thank you for the response. I appreciate your advice greatly.

I am 33 years old and have been having back and neck problem on and off for the last three years. 3 years ago, I had MRI's of the cervic and lumbar spine, but no thoracic was ordered then. I went to Physical Therapy and I was fine... until several months ago, I started getting ocassional tingling in hands. I thought it was just over extending myself at work. Though the week before last, when I was at a picnic, all of my toes went numb and stayed that way for almost 24 hours. I had another round of MRI's, this time adding in the thoracic, the results of which I posted here.

Now, you mentioned that spinal stenosis is bad... the MRI of my lumbar has the following diagnosis:

L4-5 disc bulge with central annular tear resulting in mild stenosis.

Can I ask you, Cindee, exactly what stenosis is and what kinds of treatments generally treat it? I have an appointment with an orthopedic specialist, but I can't be seen until July 29th. So, in the meantime, I'm just trying to understand my tests as much as I can.

Thank you kindly for your help,
Cee