Back & Neck Community
Thoracic area skin burning pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Thoracic area skin burning pain

I have had almost 2 years of a burning sensation on the skin in my T3 through T7 area.  Sometimes is gets so bad, it radiates into my chest and arms.  I have been to a lot of doctors, no help.  They say they have never heard of such a thing.  One neurologist suggested I had shingles without the breakout, but that was highly unusual.  Well, other doctors have told me I do NOT have shingles.  Have had an MRI of my thoracic spine and they found nothing, like a nerve entrapment or discs that would account for the burning.  I am at my wits end.  Just went to a neurologist yesterday, he said I should see a pain specialist who may have seen this before.  But he hasn't seen it himself.  All doctors are stumped.  On top of all of this, I have an esophagus that continues to spasm,never stops.  I take not only Neurontin for the back pain (which makes me extremely sleepy), I also take Nexium for the spasms. Strange feeling the other day.  Sat Down behind my computer desk to change wires, and I felt as if something was protruding outward, like a baby pushing out, on the upper stomach, just below by the rib cage.  Strangest thing I ever felt.  What in the world is wrong with me?  Any help out there???

Thanks -
I am sorry to hear of your prolonged health problems.  It would be difficult for anyone on this forum to provide significant assistance based on your current symptoms and the reports of your medical treatment.
No clinical findings on MRI and no clear neurological symptoms do create roadblocks for everyone, including the doctors you have consulted.
Burning sensations confined to the thoracic spine (T3-T7) is an unusual presentation. If it were more widespread, it could be a symptom of the complex condition known as fibromyalgia.  The recommendation to see a pain specialist seems appropriate.  Perhaps he would have some diagnostic tools that have not yet been utilized in assessing your condition.
The esophageal and stomach problems are unfortunately beyond the scope of this community.  If you search through the "Health Topics" segment at the top of MedHelp's site, you might find a forum that could assist you further.
Best wishes ----
I just read what Kittyluvl mentioned about pain in T3 area of spine.
I've been having the same thing, however the burning pain I'm experiencing in behind my breast bone area through to my T3 area.
Drs. just ran lots of labs and an MRI and found a spot on T3.  I'll be doing a nuclear bone scan next week.  These symptoms are very strange and today's pain reached (on a scale of 1-10) about an 8.
Have you found any more information as to what this could mean?
I'm 63 and in a lot of pain.  All my blood tests were normal.  I even had a 1919 and a CA125 as I had cervical cancer 11 years ago.  Please let me know if you have researched this further.  Thank you. dj