Back & Neck Community
Tight front and back of neck, clavicle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Tight front and back of neck, clavicle

For about a week now I've had some painful neck muscle problems that seem to be getting worse with time, and are aggravating some of my other health problems. It started with a feeling of tightness at the front of my neck, just under my chin, whenever I tipped my head back. Now the entire neck front and sides are rock-solid tight down to the clavicle (so is my trapezius.) The clavicle area burns, I'm having a hard time keeping my shoulders down, and I feel like my collarbone is being pulled upward into my neck, forcing my shoulders back. My face also feels like it is being pulled downward.

My question is: Is this likely to have been caused by poor posture/lack of exercise? Does anyone know of any stretches I can do to release the muscle tension? (I can find things for the trapezius/sternocleidomastoid, but how the heck do you stretch the digrastic muscle area?)

I'm surprised by how much this tension is increasing my other structural issues--it's even aggravating my hiatal hernia.

For full disclosure, some of my other issues have really screwed up my spine and muscle structure in my lower body, so I can't say whether I did this to myself or if it's just new muscles taking on too much extra work over time.
Tags: Neck, clavicle
That would be "digastric," not digrastic. Wish I could edit!