Back & Neck Community
Tightness at base of skull, Dizzy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Tightness at base of skull, Dizzy

Hello everyone,

I am a 27 year old female and since May 2013, I've been DIZZY.  It all started while sitting at work one day. I started getting a tight/pressure feeling at the base of my skull.  It escalated over the next few days until I ended up in the ER afraid I was having a stroke or something.  Four days after that, I went back to the ER, so dizzy I could barely walk.

Since then, the pressure has let up a bit but I am still extremely dizzy.  The floor always feels like it's moving.  I started getting jaw pain too.  The tightness is always at the base of my skull and goes in like a circle to my eyes. I originally thought it was a tension headache but almost 6 months later, and it's still there.  I've been to every doctor  you can imagine, too many to list and no one has come up with anything. I've had Cat Scans and MRIs and everything comes back normal.  

Now my right shoulderblade area on my back is VERY tight too. It radiates pain to my collarbone and down my arm. I've been taking Epsom salt baths and when I do, the "pulling" feeling I get in this area is almost too much to handle. I've been getting tightness in my throat now too.

I went to a doctor who suggested that he thought I had Lyme disease. I tested high negative on the normal blood test and on the Western Blot, only had one band positive but being a Lyme literate doctor, he said it was the only band he looks for to confirm chronic Lyme.

Well I started the doxycycline over two weeks ago.  I've seen a little improvement but nothing that suggests to me that it IS Lyme disease.  I mean, doxycycline is an anti-inflammatory so it could be helping something else.  

I originally thought it was related to hormones since I quit birth control after being on it for 7 years in May. But 6 months later and with these symptoms, I am definitely doubting it's hormonal. Plus I've started BC again a few months ago and no improvement.

I am DESPERATE.  Lyme disease is the only answer I got but am not sure if I believe it. I live in Northeast PA so it's definitely prevalent in this area but I can't remember the last time I was even outside since I work all the time.

Thanks!

I guess I should have put that back in January 2012, I was in a bad car accident.  My husband and I were hit by a drunk driver going about 60 mph.  No serious injuries thank god but I was in physical therapy, chiropractor, acupuncture, massage therapy for 7 months for muscle injuries to my right side of neck and back.  I am wondering if this has anything to do with my symptoms now?

Funny u added the accident as I was going to ask if u were ever in one....do u have copies of ur MRI and the report? IF not request copies and get a 2nd and if need be a 3rd opinion....there are some conditions reported back to the patient as "normal" results when in fact that is not the case, so push for answers ....

Get those MRI's and the reports and start there....
Thanks for the reply.

It is almost impossible to get a second opinion in the area I live in .First, the doctors are AWFUL. When you ask for a copy of the MRI/scan, all they give you is the doctor's report who read it.  Or they give you a CD of it.  I've gotten second opinions and they always tell me to bring a copy of the MRI with me but no one even looks at it. Or they read the report the doctor wrote who read the scan and go by that.  I am thinking about trying to go outside my home area now.

That is what u need the CD and the radiologist report.....where in PA do u live?...I am also in  NE PA....

I found I had to travel to get the best care too....hang in there and keep pushing for answers.
I live in Scranton! Crazy you live in NEPA too. Where did you travel to for health care? I don't know where to go. I called the Hershey Medical center and they don't accept my insurance. I have Geisinger.