Back & Neck Community
Tingling/back pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Tingling/back pain

First of all, I'd like to mention that I'm a 21 year old male and had been quite paranoid about my health as of late so excuse me if I'm being a bit too dramatic about all of this.

Okay, so here's my story. For the past month or so I've been having this weird electrical shock sensation in my upper back. It usually occurs whenever I'm lifting something or walking around for too long. Sometimes it would spread to my arms, face and legs.

I'd like to mention that prior to that I went to the ER because of a strange tingling sensation in the right side of my face. The doctors performed a CT scan, told me it was nothing and sent me home. The situation didn't ease up and, in fact, I would often have weakness in my legs that seemed to start from my feet and went up the rest of my leg/s (it  usually happened to only one extremity at a time)

Anyway, I went to a neurologist, and he told me that I needed an MRI since he suspected a demyelinating disease. The MRI is scheduled in just a few more weeks and I'm still waiting...

The real problem, though, is that besides the tingling upper back that would sometimes spread to my arms and legs   (sometimes my whole body) I've also developed an odd bladder problem. It would often feel as though I can't empty it completely and when I walk or sit it would sometimes leak a bit (just a bit). Also--though I have to admit that this had been going on for WAY longer--I seem to have trouble holding an erection for a long time. Usually it would subside very quickly (especially without any visual "aid")  

Going to my doctor she said that the leaking could be due to the medication that I'm taking (I have ulcerative colitis) and referred me to a urologist. My appointment is next week.  (Btw, no apparent fecal incontinence though a slight tingling sensation in the anus region)

Now, I was wondering: I heard that bladder/erectile problems could also indicate severe spinal cord injuries and since I've been having this tingling in my upper back and some pain in my mid-lower back (very mild and usually when sitting), could this have something to do with it? I did read that I would be experiencing severe lower back pain if it were something related to my spinal cord while I only have some mild pain and the tingling is mostly in my upper back...

P.S. I've been working for over a year now clearing tables at a restaurant/cafe bar and would usually do quite a lot of bending and lifting (surprisingly we have lots of costumers coming to our place--god knows why). Also I usually maintain a hunched sitting posture and wondered if this could have something to do with it?

Thank you
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. In all probability the symptoms are related to multiple pinched nerves due to your work and wrong posture. Correcting your posture, wearing comfortable clothes and shoes and using the right technique for lifting things will go a long way in helping with your symptoms. Can you consult an occupational therapist? If not, try consulting a physiotherapist or chiropractor while you await your MRI. You may also need nerve conduction studies. Other possibilities are low vitamin B12, mixed connective tissue disorders, peripheral neuropathies due to diabetes or thyroid or lupus etc. Please discuss with your specialist. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.