Trapezius muscle?
After several months of pain, a pain specialist recently diagnosed my back pain as being due to injury to my trapezius muscle. I have had trigger point injections on my shoulders, which releived the pain only for about 2 days. The pain I have varies from my neck to upper back, mid back, shoulders and even in the front of my chest near my collarbone. I am also having some pain in the center of my chest--just a dull ache that comes and goes but doesn't seem to be related to exertion. I have had an echo stress test to rule out heart issues, but the pain in my chest really scares me. Does anyone here know if the trapezius muscle can cause pain in the chest? This has caused me a lot of anxiety.
This may not be the cure you are looking for but I have heard that adding moremagnesium to your diet can help alot with muscle soreness.  Maybe this can help lessen some of the effects that you have been having.  Go here for more info:
http://www.jigsawhealth.com/products/magnesium_supplement.html
dbranden-- i had the same problems that went undiagnosed for 2 years-- had the cardiac testing and all that-- the pain under and around the collar bone was scary. i even had a few unnecessary surgeries.  fixed it myself when I learned what was wrong. Check out Upper Crossed Syndrome on the internet, and visit a site by Jolie Bookspan on how to fix it. I would almost guarantee you have forward head posture (do you work alot on the computer?).. the scalenes in your neck are probably ridiculouslt tight and short, and the muscles in your md back are probably stretched and weak. you need to get your head back over your spine and keep it there. You need to do mid back/posterior scapular stablizer muscles strenghthening and stretching and trigger point relaese in yourt traps, scalenes (they insert under the collar bone!!), scms and pecs. do some door stretches. It took me 4-6 months to fix it so be patient. dont rely on doctors or injections to fix this problem. you did it to yourself and only you can fix it. feel free to email me personally at ***@**** or even call me and I will help you. mike 954-873-7741. I am pain free now after almost 3 years of daily agony,  excepy for some tendonitis in my right arm from tennis !!