Back & Neck Community
Treatment for Neural Foraminal Narrowing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Hi, recently my father (who is of 48 years) had some problems wherein he was having numbness in his legs due to which it was shivering and he was not able to walk properly and was facing difficulty in doing day-to-day tasks. We consulted a doctor and he recommended for whole body MRI. MRI reports conclusion reads as follows:
1. Multilevel disc bulge causing spinal cord and neural foraminal narrowing.
2. Diffuse C6-7 disc bulge with large posterolateral extrusion and superior migration causing severe spinal canal bilateral neural foraminal narrowing. The cord shows intinsic illdefined T2 hyperintense signal at this level due to edema/ischemia
3. Diffuse C3-4 disc bulge with a broad based right posterolateral protrusion indenting the right hemicord and causes right neural foraminal narrowing and abuts the right C4 nerve root
4. Broad based left posterolateral protrusion of C4-5 disc abutting the spinal cord and causing left lateral recess and neural foraminal narrowing. It abuts the left exiting C5 nerve root
5. Aymmetric left sided C5-6 disc bulge causing left neural foraminal narrowing, compressing the left C6 nerve root.

Based on the above report the doctor told us that his neural nerve is getting pressedn and henc he is facing this problem. Doctor says that the only solution to this is to do surgery but doctor also told us that the surgery is very risky and might have some adverse effects as well hence I am pretty scared with the same.

I request the experts to suggest me some alternative options (other than surgery) which is available and will help to treat this problem.