Back & Neck Community
Treatment for painful broken or bruised coccyx

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I fell 3 days ago, landing on my tailbone.  The next day, the area was swollen... it is still swollen.
I was xray'd and advised that the coccyx was broken.  I was told to rest and take Tylenol 3 and Ibuprophen.  I was told not to use cool.cold compresses, but to have daily hot showers to alleviate the pain.

This has not been very effective. I am unable to work and in constant pain

I understand (from family members who have had a similar injury) that this injury can be very painful and that the pain can last a long time (years).

I would like to know what I can expect in regards to recovery time and if you can advise me of anything I can do to speed my recovery?  And what any additional treatments are if this continues to be a problem.

Thank you for your time and consideration
Janet

Did they mention sitting on a donut?  Ya know the type of pillow that has a hole in the middle.  You can find foam ones and blow up plastic ones at most drug stores or Walmart.  I'm not sure how long recovery time is but I assume that it is atleast 6 weeks(the usual time people are in a cast for broken bones)You may have to go back to the doctor and get a note to keep you off work for a short time so you can do more ice and heat and rest. Does your work give paid disibillity for medical problems (not on the job injury)?  Good luck with your healing process.
I bruised my tailbone hurts when i sit to long or when i sllep at night. Hard time getting out of bed. Anything i can do for this.
                                                   Cindy
happy to help yas.

always apply ice pack for  10-15 minutes on and off for a few hours a day. this will decrease swelling and pain.

you both need a chiropractic doctor. this is the undisputed expert in spine care. he/sh will x-ray (while standing) the region. apply ice packs and adjust and decompress the spine.

works all the time. pills are not the answer.

yes i'm a DC, and see 400 of yas a week and my advice works all the time. even with fractured coccyx.

dctruth  
I broke my coccyx falling on a rock years ago and it impacted into the left and has caused problems ever since including haemorrhoids, but an osteopath recently said not to have it removed. If I'd just broke it, I would immediately find an osteopath or chiropractioner to see if it could be set like anyother broken bone. The pain went quite soon after the accident but the impacting is still causing problems..  
There's a good website www.coccyx.org with all kinds of advice.  They advise something other than a donut cushion.  It's a special coccyx cushion with a cut-out at the back that relieves pressure on the coccyx.  Having just sat down HARD on the ice, I share your pain.  At the moment, I'm sitting on an inflatable donut, partially inflated and folded in half.  It's a great improvement.

Amy T.
I have seen a lot of information on various treatments for a broken tailbone, I would just like to set a few things straight for people.

There is no treatment really, you just have to wait it out.
Use a donut or other type cusion, you can alos use a phone book and just hang your tailbone off the back.
Do NOT take anti inflammatory pain killers,they retard bone healing by up to 30%

Best of luck to everyone suffering, just remember pain is just a feeling
Problem come from inflammation around tailbone,due to soft tissue damage,so your symptom is soft tissue injure cause conduct pain to tailbone,it's NOT tailbone itself.
i landed on my tail bone from a fifteen foot drop and brusied it two dayss later i broke it during a russian what should i do?
I just broke my tailbone--again.  The first time was about 20 years ago in High School--just the tip--I walked home, not too much pain--just couldn't sit for very long for about a year.

This time, I broke it up high, and couldn't even move for the first week--very painful and I'm allergic to pain killer-so glad to hear they are not good for healing.  It's been a week, I can now type for a few minutes, but the pain makes me light headed.  I rest a lot--and I'm not the resting type.  My husband bought me a donut and it works for a little while--
Believe it or not-I have found the most comforable sitting has come from an exercise ball--REALLY!  I think maybe because most of the pressure is put onto the legs, not the back and bottom.  I usually sit on an exercise ball in my office, I have done it for years--but if you have never sat on one, you might not want to try it for the first time with your broken tailbone, just because I would hate to hear that you fell off trying!

Good luck--I feel like I'm still a long ways in recovery, but glad it happened to me not my elder mother-in-law-- it happen on a faulty step.

D
I bruised my tailbone nearly 5 months ago, and it still causes lots of pain.. sitting is annoying but standing for long periods can be worse, the pain never seems to let up, I have to kneel at the edge of the bed while my partner gently massages the base of my spine to releive the pressure, no other way seems to touch the pain..I must agree with the exercise ball, I haven't used it with my tailbone, not that safe to have in my house with the kids at the moment, but while I was in labour with my youngest I had most of my pain on my spine and lower back and could not sit except on the ball, took all the pressure off my back....
All:

I fell about 2 weeks ago and smacked my tailbone good.  I have not seen a doctor for an xray, because I assumed that if it was really broken or fractured that the pain would be excruciating and I would be barely mobile.  I'm also starting to notice  the pain subsiding.  However, I have not gone to the gym since the accident because I was too sore.  I'm wondering if its OK to do squats and lunges, or will they just prolong the pain.  I've been told bruises can take weeks to heal, is that right?  Thanks!

-John
HI,

I landed on my tailbone while doing crunches on an exercise ball--I slipped off and fell on the gym floor.  That happended two weeks ago and it still hurts alot.  Haven't been to a doctor.  Been applying ice.  Seems to help some.  I have an exercise ball that I sit on at home and it helps to relieve pressure.  Don't know what else to do.  I'm still going to my aerobics class, just being careful about doing certain routines.  I can do lunges.  Just listen to your body and modify your workouts.

Good luck to all.

Jane
I fell on my tailbone while skateboarding about four months ago. I'm not sure how it's injured, but since the fall, it hurts to sit in certain positions. I havent gone to the doctor because I know that there isn't much they can do for me in this case. The injury hasn't limited my mobility, but I'm wondering if being as active as i am will slow the recovery down. Is sitting on it slowing the process too?

And by the way, while I was registering for this site I noticed a term of use stating that the use of this site is restricted to users over the age of 13. could that be a mistake?
I fell 4 days ago on my coccyx, and have not gone for any x-rays. Should I?
Whats the differance whether it's bruised or broken?
It's really painfull to sleep, get up and tender to walk!!!
Is time the only healer?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated ;)

x'K

I fell on my tailbone end of May.  i've learned the coccyx is really three connected bones at the end of the spine.  One doesn't fracture them, but their configuration can be bent.  My doctor had me x-rayed and there was "significant curvature."  Sitting on a special cushion with hole out of the end has been very helpful.  Do NOT sit on soft cushions without a cut out.  Hard surfaces are o.k. because then your hip bone supports you.  On a soft surface your hip bone sinks in and you are putting pressure on your tailbone (coccyx).  Women have more problems than men (I'm female) because we are built differently.  My doctor may do an MRI because he says with my kind of injury there may also be a compression of discs.  -- Once I started sitting on special cushions, the pain has lessoned significantly.  One of the worst things I did was take a long car trip -- before I knew about special cushions -- the pain worsened after that.
I just bruised my tailbone two day's ago. Don't ask how I did it, I don't have a clue. I just woke up a 5:30 a.m. and was hurting really bad. I got up took some pills but I couldn't lay on my back and it was relly hard just to turn and try laying on my side. I callled my doctor that day who called me back later in the evening and told me if it was still hurting bad to go to the hospital and get an evailuation. I decided not to go until 5:00 a.m. the following morning being I couldn't sleep, just to much pain.

The doctor at the hospital did a look-see, then did the "dissapearing finger act", to check for infection, remember I didn't hurt my tailbone in anyway, didn't fall, didn't get hit, didn't sit down on anything hard fast, etc. Being I didn't have an MRI done in this area he wanted me to have an MRI done for that reason "and" its a better way to check for infection. After it was all done and over with he told me I had a bruised tailbone, how? From what?

On top of that about 5 days ago before seeing my regular doctor, two day before seeing him, my left side of my butt really hurt like someone had kicked me on the side of my butt. Again, I didn't do anything to cause this. Being I didn't do anything to cause the bruised tailbone, had me concerned that something else was wrong, I never gave it a thought of it being bruised, no reason to. Today its much better but still hurts and still can't lay on my back. The other day we had to go to town and getting into and out of the car was a horrible ordeal, really painful. I was just glad it wasn't something more serious like the herneiated L5 disc which again, I didn't do anything to cause it that I know of. I never in my life hurt my back where I actually knew I did something to my back.

Just what was said from otheres here, the doctor said use a donut pillow, and use heat or ice on it, whichever works best for you.

Campage1
I broke my tailbone about 8 weeks ago.  
I am forced to sit at a computer at work for 8 hours a day.  Which I don't think is helping me heal.  As every day by evening I am in pain.  Somedays more severe than others.
Does anyone know if there is any truth to this, am I prolonging my healing by sitting for so long 40 hours a week?

Also prior to this I was running Marathons.  Does anyone know about how long I should wait before I can start running again?  Is it okay to run distance even if I am in pain to sit?
I've been hesitant to start it up again because after sitting all day and being in pain I am worried that running after 8 hours of sitting might injur it worse.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated!
I broke my tail bone 2 weekends ago while camping.  Two days later I went to my doc and he x-rayed it and it was broken and didn't give me much advise.  I went to the web and found infor about it and it's best sit on donunt sit ( make sure you put in a pillow case to keep it clean and in a bag to keep it concealed ) Go to see a Chriopractor or a massage therapist and apply heat to it before you get up in the mornings.  It hurts the most when I have to lean over and pick up something.  I hate having this problem and we as humans take our bodies for granted so much.  Take it easy as much as you can and have family members help out with daily chores.  Hope this helps a little.  Thank you all for your advices too.

Cyclone1
I bruised my coccyx last december whilst sitting on the carpet sewing, adjusting the heming of about 7 pairs of trousers! i was in the same position for about 3-4 hours and in that time bruised!
the pain is still there, real bad if anything its worse. i was off work a couple of weeks at first then went back to work due to pressure/guilt etc.been back to work since and been waiting for a more suitable chair.i been using a foam coccyx pillow, helps a little i guess but to be honest i cant handle the pain. they allow me to go for walks but i cant really handle it. its a call centre job where i am sitting constantly. sometime i take time off the phone and just lie on the floor. i really have had enough and dont know which way to turn!
started off taking some medication; declafenac etc,doctor says nothing that can be done, hospital doesnt do x rays on that area. cant sit on it really, in pain all the time, im always tense. i dont feel fit enough to work......... but what can i do?
I fell several times about 30 yrs ago. My tail bone still hurts if I sit for long periods with pressure against the tail bone.Thought I had a cyst on the end of my tail bone.A surgeon checked and found no cyst,referred me to another dr. He did the disappearing finger thing and was flipping the tail bone. I was in unbelievable pain. I didn't know just how much it hurt until he did that. It hurt bad anyway, but it was really intense from him touching it. That was more than 10 yrs ago. He said they actually remove the tail bone with that condition. A co-worker had the same problem from sitting and his dr told him the same thing. His was damaged from continuously sitting, mine from a fall. Needless to say, neither of us had the procedure. Hard seats make it hurt, sitting too long makes it hurt. To me the donut still puts pressure on the tail bone unless you figure a way to keep that part off of it. The pillow they came up with the cut out, holds you up while taking off the pressure in the area of the tail bone. I have a soft cushion chair I found, at my kitchen table that I use and it helps since I do paperwork, etc there besides eating. You can go to a surgeon and if he needs to refer you to a different type dr. he can do that. I don't remember what kind of dr mine referred me to, but I still have my tail bone. I feel that it protects the end of the spine it was not a good idea to remove it. I don't think any different meds, or running is going to have any affect on it. The only thing that bothers mine is when there is pressure. Laying in bed, you can put pillows under your knees and flatten your back so as the tail bone won't have pressure on it. After 8 hrs of sleeping with pressure, then sit in the day, it is going to aggravate it worse. I have sit on heating pads which has helped me at times. The pressure of a fall or bouncing down steps with out a tail bone to take the hit, I fear what affect it could have on the spine. Hope this helps some of you. RJ
bruised my tail bone 2 weeks ago.still in so much pain hurts to sit,lay on my back,or stand from a sitting position.just want the pain to go away.this is the second time in 10 years i have done this and i dont know whats worse the pain or the embarresing donut pillow
I would like to know from each of you what is going on in your life? Is there anything out of your control that you can't adjust to??Yes, I am taking a survey....you don't have to give me your name or anything personal in writing.  I have had a broken tailbone and I am very sympathetic.  The only thing that helped was going to a chiropractor after the pain started to subside.
Thank You!!!
I broke my tailbone in August of 2007, I love chiropractors, but they only provided temporary relief  (i went to 3 different ones over the course of a year... after some healing had begun, their treatments did nelp).  This injury caused painful sciatica, shingles 3 times, lower back pain, and neuropathy in my toes.  For 2 months I didn't sleep.  Then I found the Shiatzu Massage cushion.  The best advise that I can give is to get a Shiatzu Massage cushion from Wal~Mart or CVS... it the one with the rollers.  Everyday I use mine and the pain justs melts away and I have relief.  After 14 months, I still have some neuropathy in my toes - and a littel lower back pain,  but I am fully fuctional.
I broke my tailbone over 5 years ago and I still have quite a bit pain after I've been sitting for long periods of time.  Usually, I'm pretty sore at the end of the day (I sit in front of a computer all day).  Airplane rides are the worst.  The pain is nothing compared to what it felt like at first (couldn't sit for over a week!), but it has never fully healed.  Otherwise, it doesn't really interfere with my life (I exercise regularly, including running).  Has anyone else had pain that lasted this long?
I broke my tail about 12 years ago I still have  alot of lower back pain till this day.  I just had to learn to deal with it and move on because nothing i did work to help relive any of the pain.
To Everyone,

Hi, I fell down 13 stairs on my coccyx in October 08. I have been doing therapy since November. My capacity to sit and stand has diminished dramatically (i.e. I cannot sit at all even with a doughnut shaped pillow and i have tried all the types I can.Nor can I stand for more than 10 minutes without irritating the pain.
The doctors say I did not break my tailbone, nor did I herniate a disc. My physical strength and range of movement has improved but again the capacity to sit or stand continues to diminish.
Does anyone have any recommendations to help treat this?

I am now able to at least float in a pool and gently swim with my arms (cannot kick yet).

Any info or help will be appreciated. You can email me at ***@****
I fell really hard on my butt and knocked myself out, i was taken to hospital but they said it was  broken but  the I had a letter to say it was bruised- - then they said the report of bruising was written by a young doctor who was training to be a psychiactrist-so ignore what he said- the girl showed me the xray and the bent coccyx bone and said it was broken- now I have a report from the radiologist who says nothing is broken, I am still in agony after 4 months -so ehat do i do now?
     Since 7-8 weeks I am having pain in my wrist, I dint had a fall but I guess something might have had happen at work, cause I do kind of labour work.  The wrist doesnt look swollen, but when I move the wrist I hear bones grinding and when i try holding or lifting something I feel severe pain in it.  What should I do I dont have insurance? Now sometimes i get pain in my elbow also. Thankyou for any help.
Ask your Dr. about a product called "DexPak". It's Dexamethasone tablets that you take over a 13 day period. I have taken this and it helped after only 3 days, after I had been through almost of month of pain from a bruised tailbone. You should not drink alcohol on this product or take any form of NSAID's. This product is most effectively described as a steroidal anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressant, costs $58 at Walgreens and is 30 times stronger than Cortisone. It is a tapered  steroid system, meaning you take 6 pills the first day, second day and slowly taper down to 1 pill by the end of 13 days. It is important to complete the entire DexPak or symptoms could return. (don't think anabolic - this is not like weightlifter kind of steroid)

Hope this helps.
I broke my tailbone my freshman year of highschool by falling during cheerleading. I actually dislocated the last two bones in my tailbone. It took about two years for the pain to completely go away. One year until it didn't hurt to sit for long periods of time. I was told by my sports doctor that he could manually pull the tailbone back into position, but that I would not be knocked out, and that it would be one of the most painful experiences I would ever have. Obviously I opted out of this option. He said during childbirth the tailbone would likely be pushed back into position. However, this past week ( 6 years later) I fell during rollerblading and again hurt my tailbone. This time I fractured the 3rd bone which was now exposed due to the lower two being bent under. Basically they put me on pain medicine and told me to lay on my stomach as much as possible. It's miserable and I'm almost at the end of my rope with dealing with this injury. I have heard about removal of the tailbone. Has anyone ever had this done, and was it successful? Any other tips towards what I should consider getting done?

Accidentwaitingtohappen
ive bruised my coxix, well thats whats the Dr said. But in the actual crack (of my bum) i have a really painful lump, its red n bloomin sore, is this all linked or is it just a boil not my coxix? help me please
I broke my Coccyx bone this morning.  I fell down a few wooden stairs.  I went to the doctors, got prescriptions and she told me to get a doughnut.  Turns out that doughnuts don't really work for broken Coccyx.  Wedges are much more helpful and are used to help with a broken Coccyx.  A bag of frozen peas works wonderful as well.

Melissa
I broke my coccyx 11months ago falling down the stairs. The pain was extraordinarily bad for at least the first 6 months. it felt like there was a lump there. I would even wake at night everytime i turned.   Now, it aches tremendously and feels kind of burning if i have been sitting too long, walking too far or stepping awkardly and sometimes for just no apparent reason. I found that spending time in a warm water pool helps greatly. The bath was no help, as sitting in the bath caused such pain. i now am able to swim laps and i find that helps with the aching. i used a donut pillow for about 7 months. i found out that using it too long can affect your pelvic floor muscles. I have found that it has started to become easier to do things now. It still rules my life and i am looking forward to forgetting about it for weeks at a time. I try to avoid painkillers and use a heat pad regularly with good effect.
i hope this helps
I just broke my tailbone from falling on a rock five  days ago. It hurts to sit, lay, get up from a sitting position, and even walk. Basically anything I do is affected by this. The doctor told me a week and I'll start feeling better. I'm afraid she's wrong because this pain hasn't subsided even a little bit and it's been five days. Does anyone know what the typical recovery time is for a broken tailbone? I am so miserable!!!!
I broke my tail bone 26 years ago in a motorcycle accident.  I can still remember the horrible pain.  My pain never went completly away.  I have developed arthritis in my tailbone and lower spine.  I was given Naproxen for pain but that eventually lead to stomach pains.  Now I just bear the pain.  I just sorry to see there hasn't been any new treatments for this injury.

I'm 29 and I injured my tailbone 5 days ago in a very odd way that would take to long to explain. But I'm sure it's just bruised and not broken since the majority of the pain has left. And luckily I seem to only have broken half my butt.

When it first happened, the pain was almost enough to make me vomit. I used extra strength Tylenol for the first few days with no effect. I found hot showers are the best and physical activity doesn't seem to slow down my recovery (I'm in landscape construction). My only problem is sleeping and that's a bit of a drag.

I stay on my feet as much as possible, go to sleep on my side, keep it on one cheek while driving and take a long hot shower after work. I also stay occupied and don't think about the pain. Hope this helps someone.
P.S. That phone book trick works very well.

I was sledding and i went off of a jump and flew close to ten feet in the air! i layed on the ground for awhile in pain then stood up and really felt how horible it was.  Then just today i went sledding again even though i shouldnt have i went down and landed on a piece of ice again but exactly where i hit it last time.  I can feel a ridge or a crack on the bottom of my tailbone and i think it is broken or cracked.  What is the best thing for me to do?
hi i slip this morning and hit my lower spine i when to the doctors and they just sed i had broken it and the best relief is to take pain relief is tablet and cold compresses
Hi All

I broke my tail bone a few years ago and recovered by staying off it (a lot of lying on stomach), not taking any pain medication and having regular hot rubs around the area. It healed in around 2 months total. 2 weeks ago I fell and bruised my tail bone ( I think as haven't gone to the doctor, there's no point as they can't really do anything) and it's still very sore. Pain medication doesn't really do anything so I think you just have to ride it out..hoping this will subside before I go snowboarding in 2 weeks!
Fell down some stairs and like everyone else on this site, I'm sure I fractured my tailbone - or as some might say, bruised the tissue.  What ever I did, I can't sit.  My back doesn't seem to be in pain, just the tailbone.  For those who run: I am a runner also and laid off running for about 4 days and then thought I'd attempt it as I am training for a relay.  I was fine.  In fact I never felt any pain while running.  Nor after.  If I'm up and walking I seem to be fine.  It is just when I sit.  I fractured my tailbone while delivering my last child and it was two years before I could sit through long driving trips without feeling the pain.  So it does take a long time for it to completely heal.  The donut doesn't work for me but I can sit on an exercise ball so if one doesn't work, try the other.  Ibuprofen works great but I only take it when I go to bed so I can get some sleep.  And then I don't use it every night.  Just when needed.  Believe me, I wish there was some miracle cure but alas it is the worst thing to hurt because it takes so long to heal.  I would love to understand why...
I fell ice skating on Saturday, and I have to fly to Germany (14 hour plane ride) in 2 weeks. I'm terrified I won't be able to handle sitting as long as I need to, but this trip is for work! I guess I should just drug myself and try to sleep the whole flight. :)
i didnt realise i had this problem as i think i had hemarroids at the time this must have occurred, chalked it up to pain from that. several months later i realised something wasnt right and googled.

so i find this site, and self diagnosed with a bruised tailbone.
to all those who said "havent bothered seeing the doc because..." if i were you i really really would. never assume they cant do anything for you, if you decide to get it sorted they can atleast refer you. all you need to do is find the right doc. im making an appointment with my gp about this next week.

i've never really thought about the pain that much, i suppose its either not that bad for me or i'm just used to it now.
either way, i have a tip for dealing with it - you can take alot of the pressure off just with a normal cushion, or even adjusting your chair.

try taking a cushion or pillow, and placing it under your thighs when you sit. this puts the weight of your legs on the cushion, and helps me a lot when i'm coding for 8 hours a day.
also, you can try tilting the bottom section of your chair back by a few degrees if your chair can do that. this has a similar effect but not as good as a pillow.

I'm not certain if my pain is getting any better or worse, or how long i've had this injury - i dont remember a single event that could have caused it, but i have been doing alot of sitting over the last 2 years or so. i find that a bit of excercise also helps me, a good 1-2 mile walk feels alot better, hard chairs hurt more.

hope this is of some help,
ill try and post again if i ever fully recover :D
I went to the doctor, who proceeded to push on the tailbone, and when I winced, all he said was "yep, it's probably fractured. Here's a scrip for Vicodin (120 pills. Word.)." A two-minute doctor visit, and that was the diagnosis.

Well, it's been 2 weeks now, and although 60% of the pain is gone, sitting is a major pain in the butt. Ha. When I sit on the sofa, it's even worse, because the tailbone can bend a little wonky, and next thing you know, I'm writhing around in pain. Quite awful/ humorous to witness, I'm sure.

So I leave Saturday for Germany. I sure hope they let me take my pillow on the flight. Wish me luck, there and back!

-Ang
HI folks have just found your site and it great to know I am not the only person suffering in this way.I fell about three month ago and landed on the base of my back.  Managed to make it back home but was in really bad pain. Dr diagnosed soft tissue injury and recommended rest ice etc. Pain continued, x ray showed no fracture, later MRI showed some disc problem and deep bruising . Physio seems to have helped with the disc but the pain is still there and I am on so many painkillers I am unable to work or function normally. It is really getting me down  I can't see a time without this pain. Sitting, standing for too long, all seem to make it worse. Any thoughts or advise. How long will it last?
32 weeks pregnant was in a car accident on the 7th in which I bruised possibly broke my tailbone.  Not a whole lot of options available because of the pregnancy.  any advice?
i fell down my stairs 2day  12 of them slid all the way down on my rear and getting married in 5days! any advice 2 ease the pain so i can dress at my wedding?
I'm a dog trainer, and one of my students dogs that I was holding lunged towards the owner, and I landed smack on my tailbone !  That was on Monday - 4 days ago.  I am still having a really hard time going up stairs and even walking slowly.  I have a 19 hour drive to Florida in 2 weeks and I dread it !  Should I still be icing it ?  What OTC's are recommended and how often.  I need to be able to RUN a dog agility trial when I get to Florida !  I'm in a lot of pain though, but only when I'm walking.
thanks for any advice.
I am 30 years old now and broke my tailbone when I was 11 years old. I was told at the hospital there is nothing that can be done for it. I was out of school for about a month and went back. I have never fully recovered and still have daily pain because of the broken bone. I am not sure if it will ever be the same again.
I fractured my tail bone about 4 years ago (thought it was just a bruise) and back then i asked the doctor what was wrong, x-rays showed that it was "only fractured" and should heal in roughly 2 years time. Unfortunately it still hurts when i sit long period of times and in a slightly slouching position (however does not hurt when i stand) so i guess it is not as bad as some others however, as much as i hope it isn't true, the pain will probably not go away for a LONG time.
The worst part of my situation is that my injury was due to the fact that i tried to prevent myself from falling on the ground and tried to use my heel to cushion the fall, turns out my heel bone gave my tailbone a serious cracking :(...........
I went hiking with my grandson and we climbed a rather large rock...it was pretty cool up on top for a minute but then you always have to come back down =) and on the way down I sqwatted and slid on my bum, when my grandson and I heard a terrible pop sound....my tailbone!! well the xrays are negative and show no break...but the pain is extrodinary! I work 12 hour shifts, drive an hour to work and I have had to take myself off work for this week. I am hoping to get back to work next week but the pain is still unchanged. is there any hope? I am using ice, vicodins, and aleve....and thank goodness it was not a break!! I can't even imagine...the drive to the doctor's office was blinding pain...literally ...hurt so bad...any additional advice and is monday realistic in returning to work with lifting and all? thanks so much!!
i fell downstairs about 5 moths ago my tailbone was very sore the area was bruised, 5 months later it's no better still hurts to touch and sitting hurts and the worst pain comes from standing up after sitting for an extended period of time i'm going to doctor as i can't go on with this pain  
I broke my tailbone over 20 years ago, one thing no one has mentioned, is that a broken tailbone never heals! I work at a hospital, and see the pain clinic doctors here.  He is an anesthiologist.. I use lidocaine patches and Neurotin (which is a nerve block), I also see a chiropractor too.  All we can really do is try to manage the pain and until someone comes up with a mattress and chairs specifically geared toward us who suffer, this is the best advice I can give.  Go to your local pain clinic. Narcotics are not the way to go, and you need to get the pressure from the tailbone decreased. Donuts do not provide the necessary "lift", the pillows with the notch cut out works well, I have used a pillow on my computer chair so that my tailbone can float.. works pretty well.  Good luck to you all !
wen i was at camp somone pushed me into the side of a firepit made of jagged stones...iwas hit right above and partially on my left butt cheek and it hurts like crazy!...i cant sleep on my back and i play volleyball and all the jumping makes it hurt worse..the swelling has also gotten worse and it hurts horribly wen i ice it...wat should i do??
                          thanks,
                     madi
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.  I injured my tailbone during a hard commercial airplane landing about 5 months ago but didn't issolate that as cause until last month.  I've just started taking anti-inflamatories occasionally which take the edge off the pain.  Hot pads, hot baths, and self massage (with a panasonic shiatsu accutap) are helping.  I'm also taking multi mineral supplements which have helped with past broken bones.  Will try the half donut someone here suggested.
i have brpken my tail bone 2 days before, can i  ride my bike now
I broke my coocyx last year. Well I didn't this idiotic girl did. We werein France. It was a few months before my first year of high school. It is now the next year and I have been told it will heal in 5 years. Everything has been tried to cure it for me but I cannot use many medicines as I have a heart disease. She has already ruined the first part of my life. I missed more than half of school last year and still only do half days. Unlike many teenagers, I enjoy school. She sent me a sorry letter a day before school started because she didn't want me to tell everyone so she could be bullied. A few days ago we had a fight in my classroom with the whole year watching. Now everyone hates her. I don't car, she deserved it. She said she would change last year and she still hasn't. I can't carry my own bag, do physical ed,  walk up hill, ride a bike, skateboard, play football, go go-karting, go out with friends. I have to carry a coccyx wedge around with me everywhere I go. And guess what she was doing whilst I was in hospital in a foreign country for 9 hours on my own at the age of 12? SHE WAS MAKING OUT WITH THE ONE BOY I FANCIED. Now her mum has married my best friends uncle so they're one big happy family.

Anyway, sorry I bored you, you could try using a coccyx wedge, which is basically a coushon with a little open space at the back so you are sitting but your coccyx is kinda in mid-air. I have one and it helps more than the dohnut which breaks easiliy.

The one thing I have gained from breaking my coccyx is that I now know who my friends are.
I went to chiroparctor.  Chiropractor did xrays qnd found it was bent from sitting too long in one position. Road trips and web surfing for me). He massaged it back into place over several visits. If you have the time, try massaging the side that is being compressed or have someone else do it.  A little ice rubbed on the area helps too, but don't leave it on skin, keep the ice cube moving around for about 30 seconds.
I fell at work on Nov.11 2010. I went to an urgent care center 2 times,all they done was write me scripts for anti inflammatory.I ended up having to go to my family doctor,they done xray the same day and said I had broke a place out of my tailbone.I had an MRI done DEC.8,2010,waiting for the results.The pain is still at the point that I cannot hardly stand it.I have been off work for almost 1 month.Does anyone know if the MRI will show if there are any nerve damage.The reason I am wanting to know if it will show nerve damage is that my left leg goes numb sometimes.any help is appreciated.Thanks
Hi everyone,

We have had terrible snow here in Scotland lately, which in some places has turned too ice...which I fell victim too...literally. I was coming out of the shopping centre, slipped backwards and BANG!...Not the first time ive hurt my tail bone but it sure made me cry lol and I'm 21 years old! I don't know whether it was the shock or what.....anyway, that was nearly a week ago and I've been in agony since :(....so much so its interfering with my sleep, sitting down and day to day tasks, even going up stairs and putting my shoes on ...I have even found myself moving slightly and near enough screaming out with pain ....Because I work Monday-Saturday 6-6 usually, I haven't found time too go to my doctors about it and I can't afford anymore time off work (due too previous days off because of snow). But yesterday I came home earlier from work because of the snow..but unfortunately not in time too get an appointment...so I spoke to my doctor over the phone, she just advised me too take co-dydramol, but these don't seem too be working at all (I have also tried, before hand, ibruprofen and deep heat rub, also had no effect). She also said that with this type of injury the pain could last for weeks....I REALLY want the pain too go :(...any help? please!
I, too, fell victim to a fall on 12-25-2010,lol,Christmas Night. The perfect fall(like the perfect storm). I slipped on ice and landed Perfectly on my tailbone,(Coxis bone). The doctor has me taking pain meds. Oxycodone-(3qid)3 time a day and today-12-29-2010 had an epidural nerve block.
You should treat your lower back/tailbone area with a cold compress-Ice pack for at least 20 minutes at a time; this along with you laying in your stomach. Krisp, try putting a pillow under your stomach and this will help to aileviate some of your pian associated with the coxal area.
     Prayer never hurt anyone. This WILL NOT go away anytime soon. Sorry. You will have to take it easier and the donut will help. It allows a "no pressure" atmosphere for your coxis bone.
I read all of these posts and no one pointed out how sneezing hurts sooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!! I fell on my butt a month ago and now the pain I am in (on the tailbone) really changes everything I do. I have all the same issues and pain as that the rest of these posts are talking about, plus agonizing pain in the butt when I sneeze!!!
This last summer i was vacationing in Europe and fell down hard while rollerblading... i had a little pain but at that point i didn't know i bruised my tailbone, so the next day when i went swimming, the pain hit me so bad.. for 2 days straight, it hurt so bad that i went to the emergency room over there, but they couldn't look at it because it wasn't caused by an accident. i put ice on it, and a lot of pain reliever creams until it hurt when i would only sit and get up afterwords... getting up nearly killed me every time! and what you said about how just sneezing hurts is so true!! i had to take a 12- hour car ride to France 2 weeks after, and every bump we went over would hurt as well. I also had to ride back to the U.S. in a 14 hour plane ride.. imagine that...it sucked!! i couldn't sleep for one... i had a window seat, so i kept wanting to get up and stay on my feet for as long as i could. it was truly the worst vacation ever. And now 7 months have passed, the doctors say nothing but time can heal it, and not even all of it can be healed.. i still have pain, only after i sit for more than an hour, the donut pillow really helps sometimes. The best advice that i could offer is just as what everyone else is saying: sleep on your side, get a donut pillow, stand as much as you can, and just wait it out.
i fell in 1992 broke my tail and dislocated  it .it has healed but now i have a herniated disc ..could that fall from around 6 feet caused my back to become weaker and then devolped this herniated disc from it and if so is there any medical documentation for this thanks TODD
HAS ANYONE EVER HAD A CAUDAL STEROID INJECTION THAT LEFT THERE TAILBONE SWOLLEN AND BRUISED AND IT DID NOT GO AWAY?  I HAD ONE CAUDAL EPIDURAL SHOT FOR BLADDER PAIN IN 2008 AND IT HAS LEFT MY SACRUM VERY SWOLLEN AND VERY PAINFUL. I CAN NOT DRIVE, I HAVE TO LAY DOWN BECAUSE SITTING IS PAINFUL..  I WAS A RUNNER FOR TWENTY YEARS AND NOW I HAVE TO USE A WHEELCHAIR TO GO TO THE DOCTOR.  HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM?
In august of 2010 I smashed my tailbone skateboarding off a quarter pipe needless to say I've been in constant pain I've woken up in the middle of the night not being able to even sleep let alone relax it is by far the worst injury I've ever had I've been taking a lot of ibprofin / excedrin / generic aspirin during the time span it seems like the pain has just gotten worse I'm trying to stop taking blood thinners due to the fact its not healthy for you  , I also want to state that some of the nights I wake up from pain I've had horrific nightmares and have recently been waking up in a state of delusion its been hard to deal with if any one has any suggestions please let me know what worked best for you  at my email  ***@****
GREAT NEWS FOR BROKEN TAILBONE.  PLEASE SEE DR PATRICK FOYE IN THE UMDNJ NEW JERSEY. HE HAS BEEN MY GOD SEND RELIEVED ALL OF THE EXCRUCITATING PAIN FROM MY BROKEN TAILBONE.  HE IS THE MOST POPULAR TAILBONE DOCTOR AND HE TAKES THIS TYPE OF INJURY VERY SERIOUSLY UNLIKE OTHER ORTHOPEDIC AND REGULAR DOCTORS.
I fell down a flight of stairs at a friends house coming down from the upstairs bedroom...i didnt really feel much when it happened but later that night i could hardly move while i slept...i got exrayed just bruised really bad...still hurtsvon occasion. I have an inflatable donut that helps a bit...just waiting it out...hope it heals quickly!!!
I fell down stairs 3 times within two weeks due to bad carpet, each time hurting my tailbone, first time was worst, this was a year and a half ago and I still Cant sit, I have to lay on my side on sofa and even sitting in bath hurts and if I lean back when sitting the pain shoots through me, if I sit on computer chair for ten minutes it hurts so much to stand up and all I have been given is pain killers that dont help
Somebody mentioned the donut pillow earlier, I have heard of this as well.
Not sure if anyone had looked into this - but I was a figure skater for a number of years and repeatedly fell and bruised my tailbone for the better part of a decade.  I had zrays done numerous times - never found anything - but i always had pain sitting in movie theaters, airplanes, car rides etc. When i graduated college and got a desk job I was sitting ALL day and the pain was worsening over several months until finally it became unbearable. I couldnt sleep, sit, stand, nothing.  Touching it made me cry.  I went to my GP and she immediately sent me to a surgeon for having a pilonidal cyst, something i had never come across or even heard mentioned to me by other doctors.  I had it lanced that day and while it was the most painful thing imaginable it helped immediately.  I had surgery for it 6 weeks later. For those of you who arent getting answers or help from your doctors, this could be something for you to look into.
I had my tailbone surgically removed in 8th grade after having living with a  severely broken tailbone for a year and a half. The pain just got to be so unbearable and continous (I was taking 8 ibuprofen a day- and still in a good amount of pain). The surgery was really painful- and it really is a last resort. But I am so so glad I did it. It took me about two weeks to recover from the surgery and while I have some pain here and there- its so less frequent and less intense than it ever has been. I was surprised to find that after a year of being almost completely pain free I started experiencing soreness again. I went to the Dr. and he told me that some of the bone had grown back- which is really rare and not supposed to happen. I was really bummed that the surgery wasn't 100 percent successful but still so HAPPY that I don't have tailbone pain like I did before. But truly, do physical therapy, and see if time will make a difference before jumping straight into surgery. Also, someone mentioned that they didn't want to get it removed because they thought it would leave the spine exposed. This has not been the case for me at all. My bone was broken so that any time I bumped it, it ricocheted movement in the entire area and I'd be in severe pain- now that doesn't happen. The tailbone serves no purpose. I have been impacted in no negative way by having it removed.
Or You Could Exercise Or Even Go Get A Heating Pad From A Store Near By.
I fell down no fault of mine,I slipped on something at a school in Fort Bend ISD in Missouri city from the 2nd down ,to this day I am still suffering this happenend in April of 2008 broken tail bone,knee surgery,lumbar spine disc bulging,lumbar dics herniation and more the insurance company say its all degeneration.Texas is the worst state in the nation to get good help .The management firm is so bad and will not help.Lost in a maze.
i bruised my tail bone while working out @ gym ...
i was doing dumbbell press n while getting up i bruised my tail bone @ the end of the bench as it got all the pressure of the dumbbells(30 kgs) n my upper body ( the bench was not proper n i blame it for my injury)..

it was 3-4 months ago ...
the pain has subsided quite a bit but it still hurts while sitting for a longer period or riding bikes

m 24 yrs old n by reading all of those comments n experiences i have a feeling that i got to live with this pain for the rest of my life... :(

thanks for sharing ur pain
this made me not to feel alone ...
over a year ago I woke up one morning and could hardly get out of bed. After many dr visits and exrays  mri`s etc I found out my tail bone is broken at a 90  degree angel can not hardly do anything even though I am on pain meds . Can you tell me what your Dr did to help you . My orthapedic said he could remove the two bones at the end but it is not an easy operation because of the area and could have problem with infection . Would be grateful to hear back from you .
Thank you missinpain
my daughter had the surgery TWICE - removing one section each time. Its been two years since tyhe surgery-her tailbone STILL hurts her. I don't frquent this site. I was actually looking for another form of relief for her because nothing is working
Wow, there are a LOT of people with injured tailbones!! Like everyone else, I broke mine in early 80's. Couldn't sit or do much of anything for about three yrs. Finally went to great back program at Good Samaritian Hosp. in Phx., Az. Underwent physical therapy(made me worse) occupational therapy, and psychotherapy. Dr. realized that nothing was helping; had a growth off of my broken coccyx that was pressing on my sciatic nerve in my left leg,causing even more pain and loss of mobility. Surgery was the last option but thank heavens I had it. After a few days was almost as good as new! Now that I'm much older(had surgery in '85) it does bother me but not nearly like it did, have had epidurals but never helped. I would recommend finding a good ortho and going from there. Time sometimes will heal but not always as in my case. I unfortunately have to disagree with DC and ice. I was told by more than one reputable (sp) orthopedic surgeon that having my back popped by a chiropracter could cause damage to my spinal cord. I am NOT saying not to entertain going to a chiropracter, I'm just stating what I was told. Good luck, Tired55
I also broke my tailbone about 4 years ago and am still in pain when I sit for a long period of time or lay the wrong way in bed. It also sometimes bothers me when running up and down stairs. I have just learned to deal with it as you have too. Thanks for sharing a similar story!
ya i too have a similar problem since i have a dislocated tailbone the doctor suggest that before we get up from the bed turn sideways and then try to get up no kind of direct pressure on the bone should be there. U even mentioned that U have a prob whilst sleeping try putting a small pillow under ur back near the hollow it will relive ur pain please ensure to be comfortable
I have heard they never heal. I have not been able to sit comfortable in a car seat for years.
The tailbone can not be set is a cast.
i fell ice skating when i was 16yrs old after xrays it showed i had fractured the tailbone and dislodged 2 above..after manipulation, acupuncture, steriod based pain killing injections for a few yrs it was agreed that an op to remove the coxis would improve the pain but not guarentee pain free..i am now 42 yrs old and still in pain. any long distance traveling is like sitting on a knife and things like riding a bike, certain exercise machines are out..I have been told there is no cure..
I would give anything to be able to sit pain free and try anything but hey you never know, if they can send a man to the moon maybe they can fix my bum!!!!!
i hurt my tailbone during a soccer game i landed on it and i keeped playing on it the pain got wort and i had to come off the field i when back in the las 5 minutes to see how it felt it still hurt. That day the pain got worst and i got a massage on it to see if it helped and it hurt really bad, its been 3 days not and im still inpain not as bad but it hurts when i do fast movements when i cough and when i try getting up.should i see a DR.? i have state this weekend and i wanna play would this make it worst?
I cracked my tailbone in 2 places from walking and missing a step down on a marble floor.  That was 9 years ago, and still deal with the pain daily if I sit to long.  Sometimes it just hurts for no reason.  No cure that I know of. I feel for everyone that has this issue, and pray for healing for us all!
I have had pain for over 20 years I am finally seeing a doctor about it next week in North Carolina specializing in spine and tailbone injuries and yes I tried the cortisone shot and it was only temporary. I am tired of the pain in cars, airplanes, sitting, etc.
Last year I broke my tale bone and bent it,  today i think i broke it again.  Tomorrow I have a track mean and will be in the car for eight hours should i run with it and go or wait this one out. The pain is excruciating.  
I recently hurt my tailbone because a girl elbowed it during a soccer game. I got it xrayed and then went to the orthopedic to see what was up. Turns out its fractured, but luckily it is in a good spot to heal. I was prescribed some aleve pain killers that help so much with the pain. I also sit on a neck pillow (like the ones you use while traveling) to sit on, and that really helps. The orthopedic also said to let the water beat down on it gently in the shower with hot water and to deep message the area to help the blood circulate (he said it promotes healing). I also really like to buy heat pads from cvs and use them on that area. If you don't know if your tailbone is just bruised or if its broken or fractured, you should go to the doctor or get it xrayed just to be safe. I hope I helped and I hope all your tailbones feel better soon!
actualy squats and lunges are part of the physical threapy after pain starts subsiding
Seattlepain.... That is .So true, I had a sideways crash on an ice patch whilst snowboarding, it's been one week now and it still hurts , especially when I sneeze! A couple of days ago it started to itch - which I took as a good thing as that's what happens during healing right?
Positive thinking: I recon I will be mended next week.... Or the following week...ditto ditto, good luck all
i was riding my horse the other day and he decided to buck through an electric fence and get his legs caught he then bucked all the way down the track until we got to the yard which is concrete but covered in grass, i lost my balance and after another few bucks i came off but ending up going up and coming down backwards in a v shape so it was my tail bone that copped it first, my first thought was that i had broken my back couldn't move, i stayed there for about 10 minutes then got helped up and sat for a while, the bottom of my back is very swollen and bruised i cant get comfy at any time, i am also having headaches everyday mostly if i move and it hurts my back pain shoots from my head,, im stuck whether to go for x rays or just wait it out, as i want to be able to get back riding asap, the accident happened 3 days ago and is getting worse
thanks
I have been in constant pain with my coccyx since September 2010. I can't sit comfortably on anything - none of the coccyx cushions have helped me.
I can manage the pain by NEVER sitting down - unless it is absolutely essential - like sitting in a car - then I sit on an inflated swim-tyre. (I have tried lots of different sizes - and only certain ones help (24'')).  I generally fidget and keep trying to adjust my weight to stop the discomfort!! (I weigh 9 stone).
At home I stand, walk, lay down, crouch down or kneel. It makes life very difficult - and I don't like going out, or visiting people as I find my inability to sit on a seat makes me feel very self-conscious!
I was referred to physiotherapy originally - but they said it was notoriously difficult to treat - to try and bear the pain and hope it reduces - as the coccyx removal operation is really a last resort - and only has 50-50 success rate (and many are even worse afterwards!!)
Today I am on painkillers, lying on my front to type - wishing the pain would just go away so I could be 'normal' again.
It is good to read of others who understand - though I wish we could all be cured from this horrible pain.
Has you tailbone heal completely now. I hit mine 6 months ago and it still aches after sitting. This can last for hours.
I Had a bad fall off a horse, landing flat on my back..... I have a bruised or slightly fractured coccyx ... Thē thing I do is sit on the sofa with a hot water bottle and keep it ther ! My coccyx feels numb when in bed but when I get up its throbbing pain
I was at ER last night they xrayed and mine is only cracked not broken but they gave me 2 shots for pain I was in such bad pain it gave me a terrible headache and ran my blood pressure way up and its always perfect. they told me to rotate heat and ice unless I found that 1 helped more but to leave it on 15-20 minutes take a break and reapply after about 30 minutes they said to try and sleep on my side and I have never been able to sleep any way other than on my stomach even during pregnancy so he said to set in my recliner with a pillow or other cushion under my hips recline and put a pillow under my knees and its the most comfortable position I have found but I do have pain meds and believe anyone going through this pain needs them unless they are just totally against or for religion or other reasons. You can truly say this is a pain in the Butt..They told me 2 weeks I should have improvement to get back to doing some things but they did also say the pain could last for years or even for the rest of my life..Hope everyone feels better soon
Hi All...I don't know if this will be helpful to anyone.  I broke my tailbone when I was 9 years old  (during gym).  At the time,  my parents were told there wasn't much that could be done but it was very painful and especially, hard at night, when I was trying to sleep and so I would sleep on a book.  I would put it right under the bone and it would seem to alleviate the pain.  Eventually, it healed and over the years ( I'm now 47 yrs old),  I would have one of my siblings step on my back till it would crack (that particular area).  I have some pain from time to time...very mild though,  and will take tylenol to help me when the weather is bad but it's very manageable.  Best of luck to everyone.  
hello

my my most sound funny here. I had a scooter accident hit n run this idiot was probably pissed(drunk) lol and bashed me off the road but i fell on my arse on the tarmac ach jee that hurts. I landed hard on my coccyx and was lucky it didnt break i dont suggest anyone to have surgery there as your spine needs that part which is at the end and beginning of you anus. so healing will take umpteen years dont become a dr¨g addict as thats another issue with substance addiction. Oh lord. so please fill a warm or lekker(dutch for nice) hot bath use bath salts ylang ylang preferbly im serious its healing even for foot baths. however you have to have a bath and ly in it everyday. yep ja ja everyday. start your day with a salt bath and  end meaning going into dreamland with one. Guaranteed lekker no pain for a while.
Also the dougnut cushion or coccyx wedge should help. otherwise u are gonna be in pain always theres no cure once your spine cord is damaged for eg there so low it isnt like a herniated disc where your vertebraes disc be it cervical, lumbal or thoracal protudes onto the nerves causing pain your vertebrae can be fused or operated to relieve pain with titanium screws and plates. So no one mentioned pain when pooping if that and sneezing hurts then you have the worst case. Chiropractors and pysiotherapists are nutcases wanting to eat your dukus. just be careful they make it worse. do you have nerve or deep lying pain do not go near them. How on earth can the cure your spinal cord injury? rub rub ahaaha no they will hurt you more though it will seem its better at first as they usecreams that numb your muscles and skin. so go take a lekker lng hot salt bath theres no cure forget it and dont get hooked on drugs please. AND STP WINING GET OVER IT MOVE ON. DONT SIT THERE AND DO NOTHING AND SAY OUCH OUCH YOU WILL BECOME THE COUCH. I EVEN HAVE SEX WITH THIS INJURY SO CMON YOU CAN TOO. bye hugs xx MIA
I was walking out of the back dock, pulling a cart into a hallway when I tripped onto a straddle stacker. I fell and broke my tailbone.it hurts everyday. If  I take my napraxon it feels better. But when it wears off it hurts so bad I want to cry.
I broke my tailbone in 2 places... suffered for a few years never knew what was going on. I tried everything. I finally was referred to a pain management. I am getting epidural injections in my tailbone. what a big reiief, it's awesome I am getting them about every 6 months... that's how long they last me.. everybody is different. but I can move sit anything and not be in pain. I have had them now over a year.. It's much better than takin pain meds.   I hope this helps... give it a shot.. no pun intended... take care and good luck.
I am 5 months in, and am still in pretty sever pain. Going to see my dr again tomorrow because I feel like the pain has gotten worse in the last month.
I fell on my back 4 yrs ago and had bruised my tailbone, and the pain lasted for about 6 weeks. i was on pain killers then and after few months i had no pain at all. I joined work, 7 months later, after my child birth and now the pain seems to have returned. I am unable to sit for long time and it increase when i have stand from my sitting position. I have to sit now with one leg folder so that it relives the pain for a while and i can continue with my work.
I was racing a car on my rollerblades that was going about 20 mph and I  knew I was about to wipe out so I just landed by sitting down on the pavement Instead of landing on my face! ummm ok so as I slide very hard on the ground for roughly 30 ft. my cheeks well the skin was gone almost through the second layer, instantly it was so swollen bad. two days later where the ball use to be was a black circle where my tailbone was although it still kills and its been like 2 weeks I am experiencing other issues like sore skin and extreme hot flashes that in the moment I feel I could literally pass out! any suggestions for the all over the body pain/sensitivity I dnt have a rash or anything. my mom said something about my sciatica nerve or something idk..... any new fresh thoughts and ideas are welcome..... thank u so much

-