Back & Neck Community
Trouble getting a proper diagnosis and most test show little

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I have pain constantly and I rarely leave the house.  Yet I often looked at as a suspiscious patient trying to rip off the system.  I haven't talked to the doctor about my MRI.  I have a retrolisthesis at C4-C5 with miled canal narrowing and a broadbased disk bulge and dorsal ligamentous thicking.  I have uncinate hypertrophy and facet arthropathy in moderate stenosis at C5-C6.  I had surgery on C5-C6, C6-C7 three times.   Does this finding cause pain, especially shoulder pain.  I need something that the doctors will conclude I am not a nug.  I hurt when I do repetitive motion.  My EMG turns out normal.  How can this be? Help
Tags: troubled
How in the world can your Doctors think you're a nut when you've had surgery on your neck 3 times? Any of those things on your MRI could be causing your pain. C4-5 is generally shoulder pain, I have to have another fusion done at that level myself sometime this year.

What type of surgery did you have at C5-6 and 6-7? Three times, are you serious? The Doctors there must be worst than the ones we have here, and that's hard to believe. And by the way a normal EMG does not rule out nerve root compression, and besides  there could be many other things causing your pain besides that. Don't let those Doctors make you feel like there's nothing wrong when you know there is.

Take Care

Thanks so much for that.  It will hopefully get me fighting instead thinking I'm crazy.
What happen with the fusions was the first one he did from the front and used a cadaver bone and the whole cage was in danger and so was the spinal cord.  Doc did another surgery from the front, this time using my real bone from the neck area.  This was just a repeat of the first one.  The last fusions were going through my back with my hip bone,he said  it was though I had just walked into his office because he just now saw the problem for my pain.  But I'm still stuck with the pain.  My pain doctor wants to send me back to work.  I would go if I could, but I won't last a week, so what's the point.  I am waiting for the new Doc to put all the tests together into something he can fix.  Now they are thinking its my shoulder so far. The last surgery on the shoulder was 12/08.  I don't even know how to feel about it.  I'm numb.  Hope your surgery goes better.  Are you going to be cut open or do those instant spine things?
I hope your situation gets better, I understand about the pain. It just wears a person down and makes life such a struggle, you'd think these Doctors would understand a little more but, they just don't seem to get it.

I've never had one of those micro-surgeries, this one will probably be through the front just like the last one I had.

Take Care