Back & Neck Community
Under Treated Left Shoulder/Neck/back Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Hello all. Why are good doctors hard to find!!!

I have been SUFFERING with pain in my Neck/Shoulder/upper left back pain. It has been going on for more than 4 years. I have seen dozens of doctors and spent thousands (with insurance) and surprise I still don't have real diagnosis! Here are a list of symptoms, related or not?
1. Chronic severe pain (left side) between my shoulder blade and spine. The only way I can describe it is like being stabbed with a hot knife. Burning, constant. No movements or position changes helps. It hurts 24/7. It doesn't matter if I have been active or resting.
2. Dull but painful ache down my left arm all the way to my wrist.
3. Sharp stabbing pain in one exact spot on the my left collar bone.
4. Major night sweats, EVERY night.
5. My left shoulder is always tense and nothing relaxes it.
6. Severe depression and anxiety. I get irriatated daily. My chest feels heavy and hurts. I literally hold my chest because of the pain.

My current meds: Pristiq for depression, Tramadol 150 mg a day, vicodin 5 mg (yes one 5mg pill) a day.
My past treatments include (not limited to because I can't remember them all.
Cymbalta, Lyrica, Neurontin, Predisone, many different anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxers, Lidacaine (sp) patches, I started with Physical Therapy and the meds. I have a tens unit and message chair along with heating pads and ice packs. None of them help. Well the ice packs help after I am numb but the pain comes back within minutes of removing them. I have had 9 trigger point injections, 2 cervical epidural injections. I was suppose to have a series of three but I have a reaction to steriods it seems. EVERY time I had a injection or taken oral steriods I am plagued for 3-4 days of SEVERE, can't get off the couch cry all day pain in my lower back. Ladies does back labor ring a bell. That is what I compare the feeling to.  I have had 2 EMG's, 3 MRI's and almost a dozen X-rays. Each Doc has told me it was something different. DDD, artritis, bulging/herniated disc, pinched nerve and the latest a bone spur. Even after all the different diagnosis I am told the same thing. Nothing is severe enough for any kind of surgery. I went into one doc and began crying because he was blowing me off. He said all I wanted was surgery and that I was depressed and told me to leave!!!! Of course I am upset. I am a single mom of 3 who just wants to be normal. My depression has gotten worse. I would not be here if it were not for my kids. I don't know how long I will be able to keep even that up. Two months ago I was laid off and left without health insurance. Luckily my kids qualify for gov help. My child support and unemployment disqualify me for medicaid!! Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Know any good doctors in the columbus ohio area!???? Not that I can afford to see one now! Wow it feels slightly better just to get it all out!
Thank you for listening to my blabber,
Amanda