Back & Neck Community
Untreated whiplash caused chronic neck pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I'm a 16 year old female.

I have had three prior whiplash injuries. Once was in the summer of ’06 and I was later rear-ended in winter ’06. Both were painful but relatively mild cases. About 8 months ago, I had my worst whiplash injury. I was playing a game at a church function in which I was attached to a bungee cord on an inflatable and I had to run as far as I could. Although I was instructed by the operators to tuck in my chin and put my arms behind my head to prevent whiplash and I had often played this before without injury, on my last run I didn’t do it right. My neck jerked really hard as I was yanked back and I hit the back wall between my neck and right shoulder. The following three days, I could hardly move my neck or right arm. I felt severe pain for about a week.

I never saw a doctor on any of those occasions.

Ever since then, my chronic back pain has gotten worse and I find I usually have neck pain. I couldn’t crack my neck before, but now it comes easily, and whenever I turn my head now I can hear and feel the bones in my neck rubbing against each other. It's pretty uncomfortable most of the time, but it's gone untreated for so long I'm not sure what I should do. So, what should I do?
-7 Comments Post a Comment
Does your family have health insurance?  It is time for you to see a doctor and get a prescrition for physcial therapy.  You have an instability in your spine that leaves you vulnerable to further injury.  This will only get worse if left untreated.
I read that most often whiplash leads to pain in the arm or the back, so that does make sense.For example, weakness in the neck causes your lower back muscles to react and try to make up for it, and it causes pain. I'm not sure when you should go for therapy, but, surgery is also an option, it's not totally uncommon for getting surgery for whiplash, but of course, check with a doc first, they will know the best thing to do.
read this article to get a good idea of your situation!

http://www.eorthopod.com/content/whiplash

but overall, definitely visit a doc, let them know about the history and everything.