Upper back/Neck pain, swelling, headaches.
I'll try to be as thorough as possible.

For the last 2-3 months I've been having back problems. I haven't been in any accidents or anything, but I do weigh much more than I should (losing though -20lbs thus far) and I'm 36 years old.

I recently had an MRI because the pain my lower back became unbearable and it turns out that I have 2 herniated discs, but apparently they're mild and there is no protrusion.

Now, before I had the MRI, I came in to work (I have a computer desk job) and when I sat down I felt a horrible, sharp pain on the left side of my upper back that still aches/burns from time to time. Thinking that I'm not mobile enough and should do more stretching during work, I started doing just that.

I began doing neck/shoulder stretches, and 2 days later I had a stiff neck. Soon after, there was swelling and the swelling became so bad that the left side of my upper body is visibly swollen from waist to head/face. I've been to the doctor several times, and she said that I had "knots" all around my shoulders/back (this is true -lots of tension at work) and that I definitely pulled a muscle.

I've been taking physical therapy for a couple of weeks and trying to stretch, but my upper back still hurts; my left shoulder is visibly higher than my right; I'm getting headaches, sometimes my ear and eye bothers me, and now the headaches (which were on the left and they are mild) have moved to the right.

I can literally feel a knot right below my neck and when I slide my fingers upward, I can feel the tension going past my neck and too my head. Also, over the past couple of days I've had some chest pain. But, that could be due to the fact that I have acid refux and I get chest pains instead of heartburn and have been off prilosec for a while (but I started taking them again today).

My question is, does this sound like severe muscle pulls and horrible posture (admittedly, I don't have good posture, especially at work) or something more serious? My MRI (I found out with the results) was only done on my lower back because the x-ray showed an issue there. So my doctor hasn't looked at my upper back closely.

I'm getting worried with the way the swelling and pain is starting to spread, and to be  honest, I don't think I'm being taken seriously because of all the pain complaints (you know the "it's all in your mind" look).

I'm on muscle relaxers and motrin 800, and it helps to a degree, but I really want an answer so I can find a solution. As it stands, my neck and most of what's under it is killing me...
Sheesh. I posted this in the wrong place. Please ignore. :)

this sounds exactly like a posture problem.

upper and lower crossed syndromes

forward head rounded back, forward tilted pelvis weak core.....