Upper back and chest pain, spasms
I have been having pain in my chest an upper back that is one of the worst pain I have ever had every single night.  Before I go to bed I feel ok, then about 4 hours into my sleep I have constant spasms in my upper back chest to the point where it is hard to breathe.  The only relief I get is to get out of bed and stand up.  I usually take a hot shower to help with the spasms.  The pain will subside so long as I remain standing for at least an hour.  It is hard to move an impossible for me to put my chin down.  Activity makes me feel better during the day but could be making it worse at night.  I don't know what to do, I am losing sleep every night as this has been going on for about 5-6 weeks.
Go See A Dr.!!  How old are you? Are you male or female?  Are you sure it is muscle spasms?  Does this pain radiate anywhere?  Get this checked out.
I am 32 woman.  I think it is muscle problems however it is in my spine also.  I am going to schedule an MRI this week after I go to the doc again.
see an RMT, possibly physio for pain, trust me it helps, but get an EKG done, it could be costocondritis(chest) caused from back spasms, but not sure with the symptoms you describe. hope the MRI helps
Go back in the forum and you will find a post that so many responses to the same problem you have, There are so many people who complian about the same thing. I am one of them also. I have the same thing that hapeens to me. I do have bulging and herniated discs in a few spots. My low back and neck. Maybe the other post will help you. You might have to go back a few or more pages. There are alot of us with the same problem. Believe me you are not alone in this area.
Chadry