Back & Neck Community
Vertebra shows up in lower back

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Vertebra shows up in lower back

Hello, in my lower back, slightly above waistline, I can see one of my vertebrae bulging out a little bit. When I flex my back, it pretty much disappears behind the spine muscle. It is also a little bit to the left from the "ridge". When I touch it, it feels like the back part of the vertebra; it is definitely a bone. When I flex my back, I can still feel slight bulge though it is not very visible. It also doesn't hurt at all, nor do I have any other back problem or pain. I'm in my early 20s.

Could I have a displaced vertebra? Or what else could it be? And what could I expect? Can it get worse?
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment on the situation though this is likely to be a normal spine. You may consider getting this examined by a primary care physician for an accurate diagnosis.
Hope this helps.

Take care!