Back & Neck Community
What causes pain in lower back on the right side above hip?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Hi.  I am 32 years old.  For the past 3 weeks or so I have been having pain in my lower back on the right side, just above my hip.  I have not had any recent injuries, but I have been in numerous car accidents that were all over 12 years ago.  Since those car accidents, I have had back pain here and there for about 1-3 days at a time, but this is different than that type of pain.  It is not a constant pain, mainly it hurts if I cough or sneeze, turn or bend and when I get out of bed or out of a chair.  I sometimes also have pain when walking, but only when stepping on my right foot.  It is not a muscle sore, tension type of pain and I do not feel that it is kidney related because it is down lower and I have not had any bladder issues.  Heat and ice packs only help a little bit and anti-inflammatory medicine does not seem to be doing anything.  Please help.  Thank you!