Back & Neck Community
What does it all mean -

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

What does it all mean -

I have degenerative disc changes with reduction in disc signal and disc height at L5/S1

There is Type 1 Modic endplate changes and a generalised annular disc bulge

There is an incidental Tarlov Cyst in the Sacral Canal

OA changes ae seen in the facet joints at L4/5 AND L5/S1

There is a small superficial synovial cyst related to the left facet joint at L4/5

I will be getting an Epidural for the pain - but are these all interconnected.
The degenerative changes noted on your post  indicate that there is evidence of intervertebral disc dessication (desiccation) (drying) that has resulted in a loss of height between the
L5-S1 vertebrae.  The annular disc bulge is contributing to probable irritation and compression of the corresponding nerve root.
The presence of the Tavlov and synovial cysts are probably not the major source of your symptoms and are as noted "incidental" findings.  They generally would not require any specific treatment.
The epidural injection should hopefully provide some relief of your symptoms, but keep in mind total pain relief may not be achieved after the initial injection.  It may take a series of three injections to achieve optimal results.
The facet joints are the "hinges" between the vertebrae and may require more specific treatment to the facet joints (another type of injection)
When is your epidural scheduled?  
Are you having any other treatment such as physical therapy, meds?
Keep us informed of your status and we will assist you through this process as much as possible.
Best wishes ----
epidural booked for 22 july - as i am off on hols thurs until 19th.  Am taking naprosyn 500mg 2 x day last couple of days.  used to take diclofenaco 50mg but doc changed them.
cheers and thanks

Tavlov and synovial cysts are serious yet benign growths that can cause severe pain and sciatic problems if they are impinging on a nerve, I would suggest you get that steroid shot if you are experiencing any pain or sciatic nerve symptoms before permanent nerve damage occurs. If the epidural doesn't help your symptoms you will need surgery to remove them.

I've researched synovial cysts because I have one too and it's totally ruined my life, causing excruciating back pain, numbness, tingling sciatic leg and foot pain. Hopefully my epidural will ease my pain too.

READ THIS ARTICLE...
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/500163_3

All the best & keep us updated on how your doing now.