Back & Neck Community
What is the success rate for lumbar decompression & instrumented fu...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

What is the success rate for lumbar decompression & instrumented fusion?

After several years of back pain, I got an Xray and MRI on my back. Two different ortho doctors have recommended lumbar decompression & instrumented fusion. I am always in pain to some degree. Sometimes laid up and can't move for days. They have persuaded me to go ahead with the surgery. It is scheduled for next week 7/8/09. I am wondering what the success rate is for this type of surgery? How long in the hospital and how long to recuperate and be back at work?

This discussion is related to VERTIGO????.
Based on the length of your back pain and the results of your x-ray and MRI, surgery would seem to be your best treatment option,
Length of hospitalization and recovery time is primarily dependent on the extent of the surgery performed and whether any other medical problems might delay healing
(ie diabetes).
How many levels of your lumbar spine are affected?  If the surgery is being done from a posterior approach (PLIF - posterior lumbar interbody fusion), the successful relief of symptoms has been noted for many individuals.
If you would like to learn more about this surgical procedure and any additional information regarding lumbar fusion, I would recommend that you check this website:
www.spine-health.com and search for articles and videos regarding lumbar fusion.
It will provide valuable information that may contribute to a successful outcome.
Best wishes on your surgery and keep us posted on your progress ----
I had L4 and L5 decompression and fusion on Sept. 14, 2009.   The surgery went well and I was home in 3 days.  After a few weeks my legs really hurt, especially at night.  I  had a Doppler test to rule out blood clots.   The doctor put me on Nurontin which helped the pain.  Then my legs and feet were numb and after walking a short distance I was in pain in my feet, especially my heel.  He put me on Nurontin again for 30 days and it didn't help.  I saw the doctor again yesterday (Jan. 21, 2010) and now I have started taking Tegretol  today.   I don't like the possible side effects but have to trust the doctor.  I hope you didn't go through this.....