Back & Neck Community
What kind of doctor should I see?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

What kind of doctor should I see?

I started a few months ago having difficulty standing up - a "shooting pain" until I angled around to find the right way to stand.  It was not like something "snapped into place" -- more like I found the spot that didn't hurt.  After a couple of weeks I had constant pain in my buttock.  3 months later, sitting in a car hurts both hip and buttock, and it’s very hard trying to get out of a car a little less difficult for a chair.   I can get standing easily, but it is taking about a minute to find a position not too painful to walk.  When I begin walking - it doesn't hurt too much. I started early on sitting on pillows, sleeping on a heating pad, and taking lots of oral OTC pain treatments.

Thinking it was sciatica I finally went to a "back institute".  The D.O. I saw there said that he needs to see why my lower spine x-ray looks “strange”.  When he said what is on the x-ray may *not* be what's causing my hip pain, I called my Insurance company's nurse-line.  I told the nurse how sure I was it was a nerve and asked shouldn't I see a neurologist.   She said see a neurosurgeon (since I was so sure it was a nerve) or else an orthopedic surgeon -- I do have arthritis too.   But how would arthritis suddenly feel better when I find the right spot after standing, and why would my buttock hurt so much from arthritis?

So now I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon.  But looking at his website I see he's all about brain and spine.  I'm worried that an ortho will want to do a hip replacement and a spinal doctor will want to do spine surgery, and I may sometime later still find that my hip hurts - because although there are things wrong in the spine and things wrong in the hip joint, it was the sciatic nerve after all.
Who is it best to see first?  The D.O. ordered an MRI and a full bone scan, but I'm stalling on going through with it since I really wanted to hear that they thought they *could* find out why my hip hurts from that, and that's not what the D.O. said.
this may be something as simple as bad posture, weakened back muscles, weak core....are you overweight?? do you exercise?? how is your posture??
I think you made the right choice to see the neurosurgeon. If the pain is coming from one area, it could cause pain all over like that. The neurosurgeon is very specialized and can determine a lot from the MRI. I find it difficult to believe that he or she will just operate for fun, they will give you options... and you get to weight them.
I am overweight, but less than previously.  I do exercise - currently I swim 30 minutes each day. It takes a lap or so to get past the pain, then I'm mostly Ok for the rest.  I had been doing eliptical trainer and treadmill (30 mins total) before the swimming.  When this started I was doing eliptical and treadmill and bike - but then I gave up on the stationary bike because it was so painful to get on it.  I don't know about my posture.  When it first started I tried a variety of changes in my desk chair and computer setup trying to alleviate pressure.
Thanks!
most back pain is NOT from the spine or discs or really anything that may be "found" on An MRI. MOST bak pain is muscular/postural in nature.
A related discussion, back & neck pain was started.