Back & Neck Community
What should I do about my back pain?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

What should I do about my back pain?

Over the last two days the lower right part of my back has started to hurt, the pain gets worse with movement. I have no fever, no problems urinating, and no injury or trauma to speak of.....I can't pinpoint the pain with touch, it's a deep pain, that becomes a sharp pain with even the slightest movement. It has gotten to the point where I have trouble sitting down comfortably. I have no insurance and am afraid to go to the emergency room if it's unnecessary....does anyone have a clue?
That's how my lower back problems started.  My right hip hurt, a deep pain,  ortho doc ordered hip MRI, everything was OK.  Tried PT but that made pain worse especially when I had to go to work.  I work in surgery dept. cleaning OR's and setting them up for the next surgery so it's heavy duty work.  I had a lot of our doc's ask why I limped so bad and all I could say was my back hurt.  Ortho ordered MRI of lumbar and lo and behold I have 2 herniated disks and 3 hemaniomas in the vertebral bodies of 3 other levels.  Bulges are on the left so my ortho sent me to my spine surgeon and I had a nuclear med bone scan (showed osteoarthritis all over body) and an upper ultrasound to rule out kidneys and such...all OK.  Now I have to have a discogram and they hurt.  The pain is so intense in the flank and down into groin and then down right leg to foot with pain in knee.  Sitting comfortably is impossible, driving my 6-speed Miata is painful, riding my horse is not a happy event and any kind of moving around just *****. You don't have the tests available, what about public health?  They won't dig into the problem but might give you some strengthening excersises or something.  Try ice and heat, NSAIDS like Aleve etc.  I hope you can find help if it doesn't ease up.  Good luck and baby your back for awhile to see if it helps.  BTW, I was sent to spine doc because bulges are on left but all pain is on right so ortho couldn't figure it out.  There can be many reasons for that kind of pain so don't just assume it's your back, I hope you can find someway to get some answers.