Back & Neck Community
What's causing lower backache?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

What's causing lower backache?

When I was 13, 32 now! I fell on my tailbone from doing cartwheels all the time. It never occurred that something must have happened fro landing on it many years ago until my 4th pregnancy 5 years ago when I started having lower back pain through tailbone and down my legs to knees...terrible pain worsened when taking steps on right foot. It then went away after a couple excruciating days....came back again with 5th pregnancy 2 years later like before it went away until giving birth the anastesiologist was giving me a spinal tap and my leg begin to jerk which I knew they had hit the nerve 3 times in a row, which left a painful jolt and uncomfortable feeling up my spine and down my right leg at the same time...didn't seem right to me...but anyways didn't think nothing else of it until the baby was a half a year OK and the pain came back at the tailbone hard to walk and experienced again like in the delivery room the shooting dull pain up the spine...it was scary which I've never had it checked at all except mentioning it to my OB/GYN...who said it may be a crack in my tailbone..please give me info on what anyone might think this problem is..plz and thank u!!!
Sarah. it is difficult to offer an opinion. You've got a lot of stuff going on, past and present. Without witnessing your epidural block, it is impossible to say if the anesthesiologist struck an important nerve.

Instead, I'd look more closely at the potential spine damage you suffered years ago. A lumbar MRI might offer clues to any existing disc disease that may have originated from the trauma you experienced as a youngster.

Also, realize that four pregnancies take a toll on the pelvis. Hormonal changes lduring pregnancy loosen the joints and ligaments that hold the pelvis together, and can cause pain due to this looseness. Sometimes osteoarthritis develops.

So, go get a proper workup, a diagnosis, and then look for appropriate treatment.

Best wishes.