Back & Neck Community
X-Ray Results Fine,But Still Hurting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

X-Ray Results Fine,But Still Hurting

Do you know why my X-Ray Results are fine but Im still suffering?

Ive been suffering from Neck & Back problems for a while now so I  finallly went to the Doctors to get it sorted after just trying to put up with it.

My problem with my Neck is that it can cease up on me.I will get this Stinging/Burning feeling & when I go to move it,it feels like its ripping.It can cease up on me when I go out into the cold,doing the washing up or just by carrying very little shopping.

Ive had trouble in the past with my Neck where Ive strained it quite a few times & been put in a collar,tablets etc or have just let it heal itself.

With my Back I also get this Stinging/Burning feeling and it can really badly ache.It feels as though my Back needs clicking into place each time when it gives way on me.When I experience this I cant carry on with what Im doing,I would have to go a sit down but in an awkward position as it will also hurt when I sit.It also hurts when walking or standing.If I find it to awkward to sit down,I will have to go and lay down.

I also get bad Headaches which put me to bed,Dizzy Spells where it feels as though Im going to fall on the floor but I dont.I quickly have to grab hold of something to steady myself & I can feel very stiff in the mornings which will take me about 5-10 mins to loosen up.

Im trying to get back into work but I need to know whats going on with my Neck & Back before I choose a Job to do as I dont want to do more damage.

I also suffer from IBS & in the past Ive had Gilberts Syndrome (Liver).

Are there any other tests that can be carried out to see if theres something wrong with my Neck & Back as the X-Ray results have come back ok?

Any Answers/Advice would be much appreciated.

x-rays do not show everything. you need a more extensive test....such as an MRI. demand it if necessary!
Thank you for getting back to me.

Do you know what it might be?

Do you know what a MRI Scan would show that an X-Ray dont?

Look forward to hearing from you or anybody who knows.
an MRI shows if there is nerve or disk damage. I had one in December and unfortunately it was both.
Thank you Papoosemom

1.So what does an X Ray show? Just Spine bone damage?

2.Did you have the same symptoms as me?

3.If so,Did you have treatment for this & did it help?

4.Do you know why it is that the doctors always do an X-Ray first?

Look Foward To Hearing From You.
yes an x-ray just shows the bones...not the nerves. it doesnt give a clear pic of whats going on. an MRI will show alot more and give the dr a better pic of what is going on.  x-rays are cheaper...so thats why they do those first.

I have ruptured disc in my back....I have burning, numbness, aching, pain in back/legs.

was this a work-related injury?? before going back to work anywhere....you need to know whats going on....and what your limitations/restrictions will be so that you dont cause further damage.
When I had problems with my knee, my doctor sent me for x-rays first as well.  One reason is also that insurance companies will often require this before they'll agree to pay for a more extensive test, like an MRI.  X-rays are cheaper, and often times if there is a prominent problem with bones or alignment, x-rays will catch that and further testing may be avoided.  

If this is a work related injury, your human resources administrator, or whoever does worker's compensation, should be notified and a claim should be filed.  Even if it's not work related, you really should know your restrictions and have a physician write them out for you, so that you can present them to your employer upon returning to work.  

Good luck!!!

Julie
Thank you Jay W & Fairlady 77

No it was not work related.

Im off to the Doctors on Monday to ask for an MRI Scan.

Ive got a feeling its actually something to do with my Rib behind my right Shoulder Blade.

I can be just doing the washing up & It will go into a really bad ache & when I go to walk it will hurt aswell.I got my partner to feel my back so I could pin point to him where I am hurting & it was by my right shoulder blade.He had massaged this a little & it felt really tender in this place.

Another thing is,is that my Sternum hurts when I go to it down or turn.Its feels as though it needs to click passed itself.

Any Ideas?

Would an X-Ray of my Neck & Back have showed my Ribs/Shoulder Blade?

If not,would an MRI Scan?

Thank you.

Fairlady77,Papoosemom & JayW.

Went to the Doctors to ask for another test to be done (MRI) as my X-rays came back ok or so I was told by the receptionist only to find out from my Doctor today that my Spine X-Ray is ok but my Neck X-Ray which says Ive got Mild Arthritis In The Neck.

Why did the receptionist tell me that everything was ok & why wasnt I called back last week when the results came back last Monday which was when I phoned for the results?

Does anyone know if its because its only MILD Arthrititis that they didnt bother? Do they only call you back if they see something badly wrong?

What do you think?

Be good to hear from you.

my guess is that its because its mild....but i agree...they should have told you...i dont know why they dont tell us exactly what is found...no matter how mild it is!!!  i would still insist on getting an MRI done...sounds like something more is going on than just arthritis....in my opinion.
Thank you Fairlady

Im going to give the Diclofenac tablets & Parcetomol a go & look into getting registered with another Doctor as I find the one I go to at the moment  dosent seem to be really interested.

I did ask him to get another test done but he said there are no other tests,its Arthritis In The Neck.He said they put all the symptoms together & come up with this.

Ive looked up Arthritis In The Neck & the symptoms not mentioned in my posts do match up Eg: I read that you can get weakness in the arms,electric shock feelings into the hand which is exactly what Ive had aswell.I remember ages ago I went to pick something up in a shop & this electric shock feeling went through my right hand & I get the weak feeeling aswell,I go all floppy.These symptoms I didnt know were associated with Arthritis In The Neck until I read about it.

I dont see how Im gonna be able to find work at the mo as it can really hurt & its every day now.It can hurt when I walk & getting sharp feelings.

Anyway,will let you know how I get on & Good Luck In All You Do.

Thank you.