Back & Neck Community
after spinal fusion how long does pain last

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Hi all
thanx for any and all responses you may send me. in febuary i had spinal surgery done on my c5 c6 c7 discs. i had been in pain, excruciating pain actually worse than when i passed a 6cm kidney stone. i had the pain for about 8 months. why so long? i am one of the working americans with no health insurance. so i had to wait around 8 months to build up my cash for the 4000 dollar down payment for surgery. ok well here i am 3 months post surgery and i have run into the biggest mess ever. last year this month i signed a pain mgmt contract with my fam doc, mainly b/c i can afford 60 month visits as opposed to the neurosurgeon which charges me 400 dollars just to walk in. anyway to try and hurry here i will not go into details just read my profile and there you will see the tough spot i am in. i am in no way a drug seeker. anyway read my profile my biggest question here is 3 months post op i am still in pain , no feeling in my left hand, strength has come back but the headaches and the "feeling of my neck needing to be popped constantly" seems the neuro accidentally forgot to tell me that b/c of the length of time of nerve impingement that i may be fully recovered, which then brings me to the problem of pain management and not being made to feel like a street corner heroin addict. IS THIS TRUE COULD I BE FULLY RECOVERED?
Hi,  I'm sorry to hear about your... situation.  I know what being tight on money and in pain can be like.  Keep in mind that your surgery was major surgery not elective and will take time to recover.

I wish I could tell you the magic date your pain will stop.  I'm only 2 weeks post surgery and the only thing that helped my pain was different medication.  I even had to fight with the hospital to stop them from injecting me with narcotics instead of giving me my Dr prescribed pain meds (non narcotic) which had priven for the month prior to control the pain better than anything else.  I take Ralivia and tramicet together both are tramadol but not evenyone can take it.  I can suggest talking to your Dr about trying something different for pain and in the states there are severs pharmicutical companies that will help with covering your costs.  My first month of Ralivia was covered by Ralivia.  I still have the sharp sudden pains and pain with activity but it is controlable.  I would say PL 3 to5 daily with the PL 9 sharp pains with activity.

The no feeling in your hand is something that only your surgen can tell you about.  I was told that the numbness and weekness in my arm could take over a year to return to normal if it ever did.  I was given a 75 to 90% back to normal recovery post surgery.  From what I have heard some people are so close to 100% you could not tell there was any issue and some people never recover.  Positive thinking, as hard as it is when the pain is crippling, is the best.  When something doesn't work after about 3 to 5 days I call up and say I tried it lets move on.  with no insurance you don't have that option but it sounds like you have a pain management specialist who can make adjustment to what your trying.

Does a tens maching work?  On the pain.  doesn't do much for the headaches but can help reduce pain. I'll assume your follow up tests showed no issues so your only dealing with post surgery pain.  It could be several more months before you get major relief.  Try to limit your activity, don't lift if possible and talk to your pain panagement specialist about options.  Ask your pharmacist if they know about any prescription help for people without coverage for your medication.

Good luck and sorry I didn't have any specific solutions or dates for releif.  Hang in there.
Lisa