Back & Neck Community
anterolisthesis of C4

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

anterolisthesis of C4

.I have knee problems and at times my knee goes out on me. This happened twice 4/5 weeks ago causing me to fall down the stairs since then I have had a pain in my upper back, that makes it extremely painful to turn my neck and back. I had x-rays done but I don't have a follow for three weeks. My x-rays state that I have slight anterolisthesis of C4 and that the vertebral body heights and disk spaces are preserved. I tried to research this on the internet but can only find info that pertains to the lumbar spine. My question is does this injury sound like one that will heal on it's own, and generally how long does that take I'm in a lot of pain and just want relief.
Hi there!

Anterolisthesis refers to forward protrusion of a vertebra with respect to the adjoining vertebra. The pathology is the same in the cervical spine as in the lumbar spine. It can be congenital or can be causes by severe trauma. This is unlikely to heal on its own and management would depend on the severity/ grade of the condition and the associated symptoms. With your current symptoms one cannot be sure if these are caused by the anterolisthesis alone. I would suggest getting this evaluated in detail by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!