Back & Neck Community
back and neck pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

back and neck pain

I had a MRI recently, after years of pain in the neck, back, arms, and, lately, some tingling and pain in my hands; three doctors, a neurosurgeon included, said that I must have surgery for decompression of the spinal cord, and replacement of  vertebrae six and seven; that, without surgery the pain will not go away and I might eventually get worst, even tetraplegic after a fall, for instance.  But I notice that there are no promises of real cure, and that there is a lot of possible severe complications anyway.
So, ,as I  read other people's histories and  I see that even my brother, who is a doctor, has the same condition and never had himself operated, I wonder if it is worth the risk, because I have been living with my pains until now,  but  I could not face life if the worst happens (paralysis from the neck down)  or if I get any worse than I already am.
What are the odds, statistically of that kind of bad results?      What about that laser surgery (Bonati Institute, Florida)  How do I check on my doctor's records  of success and faillure?            /
your in a similiar but not too similiar predicament as i am. in addition to my neck discs deterioriating, i have a spinal syrinx in c5-6. its over half covered and unoperable. so i was told eventually i will be paralyzed. im beginning to get tingly in hands feet and under chronic pain meds.  its scary, but agian, each day our lives are at risk. each day cannot be taken for granted. we may die at any time, we are not guaranteed another hour. so i accept my predicament and meanwhile am preparing my family history for my family. im writng a short novel full of hope strength under various life crisis's. type in spinal injuries online. it will bring you so much info. blessings.