Back & Neck Community
back surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

back surgery

I am a 52 year old female.. In May i had spinal surgery... They had to remove bone from both hips to repair the spine I then got 2 replacement disc with 2 metal rods 5 screws and several spacers... I am in Physical Therapy at this time.. I am able to walk to stand straight and move about... I know that this will take time... although my right foot is numb and the back part of that leg... my big toe will literally freeze.. my left thigh is numb and tingly and it is on fire most of the time.. I am also expieriencing stabbing stinging pains in both legs and feet.. I can't seem to do much of anything for any length of time...ie standing, sitting, laying, driving... Any input will be greatly appreciated.. please and thank you Debbie
I also want to add that this was my 3rd surgery.. the first 2 were lumbarectomies...
3 months ago I had spine surgery,  a disk and my nerve was crushing my spine, like you my right foot was numb allover, my right leg in general was almost use less, well since the surgery jUNE 7, 2011 I still have a touch of numbness, still walk a lil slow, but everyday it gets better, my doc. said I will continue healing up to a year...I am back to work, but my legs are not use to all the standing and walking, so do as much exercise as your doc allows...
I am 40 years old
What kind of spinal surgery did you have? to be back at work already?  I mean i can walk and bend and stand but not for very long.... I feel heavy in my back...
well I was hoping for a lil more feedback on the longterm effects of the numbness and tingling in my leg and feet. Please and Thank you :(
I had a spinal fusion 2 years ago and my foot numbness and tingling is almost all gone. I know some of it is permadent and some is from a new recent injury.
Is any of these symptoms you are having new? If any are that would be something to contact your doc about.
Everyone is different on their recovery times and level of activity after. I was up and back to work in 2 months as a massage therapist,but like I said everyone is different.
no these are not new complaints been having them since surgery in May... it is so strange that my toe on the right is frozen and my thigh on the left is hot.. and it feels like bee stings all the time... doc said nerves are the last thing to  heal...

Hi...I did not respond to this thread initially bcuz it was regarding a type of surgery I had not had...however, ur complaint is very similar to those I do answer on a daily basis and felt u may benefit from what I have learned along the way.

U had surgery that basically was on ur spine, ur nerves...well I did as well more so my brain, but the cervical spine and from experience and seeing what others have gone thru, it can take up to 2 yrs for the nerves to heal.

Also, it is possible to have symptoms reoccur as ur nerves r healing...they do odd things, they over fire & mis-fire signals of pain during the healing process.

I pray that is all that is going on with u, and that u will eventually feel better.

"selma"