Back & Neck Community
balance and neck problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

balance and neck problems

does any one know if nerve compression in you neck can mess with you balance???????????????????? thanks in advance!!! leslie
I would also love to hear some answers on that one. I asked a doctor about it once but he told no it was not coming from my neck. I am very interested in this post.
cervical spondylosis can cause balance problems. if you have a pinched nerve it can affect areas of your hips, legs and walking ability. The nerves travel so this can cause balance problems, and a sensation of falling down. I am not sure why your doc told you this could be the case, as it is very common for some one who sufferes from nerve compression. I also learnt that these neck nerves can cause weakness in bladder and bowel also. I thougth this only occured with lumber spine problems, but as the spine begins from the neck, I can now understand the connections. I would suggest to get a second opinion or ask for MRI!!

Good luck.
I have just noticed the posters have posted a while ago!!!
I'm currently interested in this. Following a chiropractic adjustment on 4/27/10, I have been having balance issues, eye pressure, blurry/lagging vision. I feel like I'm on a boat when I move or walk, like something is off about my walk, even though I know I'm walking straight. Do you think this could happen from tense or pulled neck muscles?

Have you ever experienced anything like this?
Hi...the reaction to the manipulation of the neck could be a sign something else is going on...did ur Chiro get xrays or MRI's of ur cervical spine?...did u report this reaction to the dr?

U deff want to let the dr know so he/she can check to see what is going on.....

Y r u going to the chiro...were u involved in a MVA or a fall?

"selma"
Listen to Selma, call your chiro, something's not right.
I have been to many doctors since the incident. I didn't want or need my neck manipulated, the chiro just sort of did it without warning. I was going because she wants me to come for "routine maintenance of my spine" every time I'm in the area. I went to her about a year ago for completely unrelated issues that have since resolved. I've been to neurologists (2), a neurosurgeon, the ER twice, a physio doctor at a spine clinic, and my primary physician.

I've had an MR angiogram of my neck and head done, and there was a very small 2mm aneurysm behind my eye in my brain, but no doctor seems to think it's causing my symptoms of eye pressure, visual glitches, blurry vision, dizziness, imbalance. They said otherwise everything looks normal. I don't have any other arteries that are compromised, stretched, or torn. I haven't had a stroke.

So I'm just wondering, could it be related to soft tissue damage in the neck. And if so, how does that affect balance?

Thanks for the concern, Selma. I look forward to your response.
What u have to know is ur central nervous system is there...ur brain stem if affected will affect ur balance...if this damaged tissue develops scar  tissue it could put pressure on the brain stem.
Was the injury to the tissue the issue u saw the chiro for a yr ago?And may I ask how u got the damage in the first place?

"selma"
Last couple of weeks, I went to my doc. I had increase pain in my neck area, and an increase in muscle spasms travelling down my shoulders, left arm, and muscle weakness in my wrist and fingers. I also noticed mild numbness to the left side of my face and a droopy right eye which felt heavy. I went to have an eye test at the opticians who sent me to moorfields specialist hopspital as I had increasing floaters!!.  

When asked what I had done of late, I said, I was using a TENS, machine recommended by my specialist at another hopsital. For two months I used this but began to notice, left arm paralysis, and increased pain from my neck, headaches etc..

I was sent off for an xray, learnt that I have a neck defect from birth, something called transverse , not sure what that means, but that was not the cause of my symptons, so the doc told me.  I am no having every blood test under the sun.

I can tell you, that any manipulation to the neck or exercise can bring on some neck symptoms, ALSO, anxiety, which I suffer from, can bring on, blurred vision, floaters, aches and pains, muscle weakness, back pain and a host of other anxiety related symptons!! So I put it down to this. My eyes were tested for other eye conditons, and was told floaters were common, and the nerve to the back of my retina is fine, no damage there.

So I also do not have cervical spondylosis which is what the doc thought, due the symptoms and am awaiting results for blood tests. Many illnesses can cause many similair symptoms so it would be interesting to find out the results.

I can not believe that most of my symptons are purely anxiety due to the face numbness and joint pain, and droopy eyelids. I was told to stop using the TENS, as it was not helping me but making my symptons worse. Apparently the symptons I have experienced can not be brought on by the TENS,  machine, so there must be in my opinion something else going on!!

I would be very careful having anykind of manipulation on your neck for a while, as I do remember reading somewhere, that added pressure can make or aggravate exsisting symptoms.