Back & Neck Community
bone graft behind hip????????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

bone graft behind hip????????

Could anyone tell me ? Is having bone graft taken from behind the hip,as painful as it was in front of hip??? Please share,how long,best ideas etc... Thanks  surgery is next wednesday! Cervical spondylosis/pseudoarthrosis..fusion c5-c6 with stimulator,hard collar/ may or not with halo.This will be second cervical fusion,last one 4 years ago acf- this one pcf. ....Im new to this,so im not sure of short term words -lol bare with me.
-2 Comments Post a Comment
Why is your dr. taken a bone graft from you,? my nero said they only do that in rare casses now, because taken the graft from you is more painful from the graft spot than the cerivical surguery itself. i recieved mine from a "donor" . this is just my dr. yours may have his reasons.. thought i would share the info... diane
My last cervical fusion didnt fuse,so i have to have everything done again.Im worse this time with more pain,shoulders burn so bad,i cant hold my head up or upper neck,my lower back will only hold me up for about 20minutes at a time,so times i can walk okay,but other times in the day i have hold on to the counters.Im amess lol .I smoked last time,doctors never said anything about stopping,I just learned this time.My new doctor said,that is why he thinks fusion didnt take. I have new symptoms this time
(cervical spondylosis/pseudoarthrosis. I remember how much the last bone graft hurt,and for so long...not  looking forwards to that again.   ~Thank you for responding,my first new friend.  Tell me about you?
im sorry this is your 2nd one!! iam a smoker too, and asked before my serguery cause i read that it really affects the recovery. Has your dr talked to you about a donor? and since i am a smoker first he said try to cut back as much as possiable before the surgery. (i didnt, not a good time with the pain i was in) but he knows i smoke, for some reason i smoked more after the surgery, someone told me it was the pain killers that made me smoke more after. im not sure. but he ordered a bone growth stimitler, it helps fusion heal. it sends electric shocks to the cerivcal area. i cant feel it at the time but i do about a hour later,, ouch.. the burning between the shoulder blades.. i feel your pain..
i had alot of numbness down my right arm, which went away the minute i woke up. that was a relief.. aahhh..
im almost 2 months post op, and feel pretty good, but i have been yelled at by friends/family becuase i havent rested enough. and depending on my activies of the day the pain returns in evening/night...
i have read that when the dr's take the graft from you that pain in worse than the surgery.
what are your new symptoms?? sounds like you quit smoking.. if so,... wow.. thats wonderfull...i went yesterday for a check up, saw my xray, to me it looks like a door hinge. lol.. so do you have a DATE yet??? i curious you said 4 years, did this just return lately, how did you feel post op from the first one??
I just had spinal fusion. they did not use bone from my hip. they used cadaver bone. I heard that the taking of bone is the worse part of surgery, try other things, this will make recovery harder and longer.
My doctor told me that taking bone from my hip would hurt worse than the back surgery - he was wrong!! Doctors haven't had these surgeries themselves, and hear back from their patients I think.

For me, it wasn't a painful problem considering all the other pain I was in, and now I have so many wonderful scars all over my bod . . . .

just kidding, though I actually do have lots of scars. Back -  neck to waist, hip, collapsed lung - now THAT was a killer pain!, and then scars all over my face. (car accident)

Was thinking about tattooing all my scars. I did have a tattoo done to camouflage a huge scar on my stomach so I'm eye-catching in my bikini.:-)  have I just gotten off-topic?
i had a fution of my ankle in may08 it didnt take so i have just had it done again this time they took bone from my hip this was very painfull my doc just said it would be sore well i would like him to try it hopping on one foot  with a very painfull hip isnt funny and when you are 70 yrs old i just hope it is going to be worth it this time
I have had 2 fusions in the same location within 1 year of eachother. (1st Jan. 07  2nd Mar. 08) The first one was with cadaver bone which my body rejected. I am a smoker as well, my doctor never asked if I smoke or if anyone in the house smoked (my husband does as well). The second fusion he had no choice but to take bone from my hip. My hip took a very long time to heal. In fact, I had numbness on the top part of my leg for several months (has come back now). However, I did cut back smoker and my husband wasn't allowed to smoke in the same room as myself. Although, I had a CT scan in Aug. 08 and have a small fusion at c5-c6 but no fusion at c3-c4. The plate is pushing on the vertbrea at c3 and have new bone spurs at c1-c2. Also I have had 3 injections in my neck which made everything worse. I currently take Norco 2x a day Percocet for my BAD headaches and Flexeril to help relax the muscles in my neck. I can't say any of the meds are working because I still have pain and numbness in my shoulders, arms, and hands daily. I have never hear of a stimulator and or the use of a halo. I which my doctor would have tried all options on this last surgery because now I have no insurance and don't expect to get better!  Good luck I hope everything works out well for your :)