Back & Neck Community
bone spurs and dislocated disc

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

bone spurs and dislocated disc

My xrays revealed a bone spur and dislocation of disc, tomorrow (01/19/08) I am having an MRI. I am in alot of pain mostly from the bone spur affecting the nerves in my neck. I have lost most of the mobility in my left arm and the muscle spasms are getting worse. Is there alternative tratments other than surgery for this condition. My docter is already suggesting surgery for the bone spur. I am really scared. I have always been very healthy and never suffered from anything this serious or painful.

Tammie in North Carolina
hi, just came over your post, i just had surgery last tues.15, i had 2 fusions and they "cleaned " out the bone spurs, omg i felt relief after i came out of surgery, no more shotting pains , feeling like my arm was asleep and lots of pain in my neck and shoulders. i know what your feeling, the bone spurs are pushing against your spine and sending pain singals to your brain. i lived with it for about a year, i tried p/t, and a few other things but found no relief.. today im sore from the surgery and taking meds for the pain, and im keeping my fingers crossed that the meds arent covering up more pain. but i dont think so, i still felt the pain in my arms even before the surgery when i took the pain killers.. i dont think much of anything will give you relief other than surgery, they have to stop the bones from pushing agaist your spine.. are you seeing your gp, or a nerosurgen? i feel your pain, let me know if you have any questions. Diane
Hey Tammie,  
I think I know how you feel.  I had herniations at c5/6 & c6/7 along with bone spurs pressing on the nerve.  It was no fun.  Walked around in pain for a year before I finally succumbed to the surgery.  Had a spinal fusion done at both levels.  I was in quite a bit of pain after the surgery but after 3 months was able to begin driving again and go back to work. .  
Like you, I was very scared and had never had anything that serious or painful but the surgery was definitely the solution for my problem.  I had been doing great until the last week.  I joined a gym after New Years to get in shape and I am scared to death that I have now ruptured another disc in my neck.  Have been in agony since Tuesday with neck, shoulder & arm pain.  Haven't gone back to doctor yet but if not better next week I know it will be on the agenda.  
Like Diane, I don't think much will give you the relief other than surgery.  I did the epideral, physical theapy and drugs for a year before my surgery but they only masked the pain- nothing was fixed.  Good luck to you and let me know how you are.
Anniepoo - Your neighbor in Virginia
Just wondering what some of your symptoms were with the bone spurs. I too have them in my neck and had a MRI. The doc's suggestion MILD MILD MS. I have had back pain all my life due to scoliosis, I and the doc are both convinced that further testing needs to be done.
bear111
I too have bone spurs on my neck that are pushing into my spine. Talk about pain, nothing helps, I have been put on two differnt kinds of muscle relaxants, Naproxin, ect . None of it helps at all. Hoping my Dr. will hurry with setting me up in the pain clinic, but what do they do there do you know? This has been going on for two years now for me. And if you had surgery how long does it take to recover from that? I would just like to go ahead with that because I am tired of suffering. Thanks for any information, it will be greatly appreciated.
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A BONE SPUR IN THE SPINE. ITS A COMMON MISTAKE YOU CANT GET A SPUR ON YOU VERTEBRAE. WHAT THEY ARE ACTUALLY CALLED ARE SMORRAL NODES.