burning nerves
I had back surgery in august.  i still cannot walk.  i have had therapy, spinal blocks, meds. and now my dr. wants to burn the nerves in my back.  what are the pros and cons of this and is the pain bad after this procedure?  i am 70 years old and live alone in a two story house.
Hi there!

Well, the pros of nerve destruction are that it might be able to get rid of the discomfort/ pain, the cons include that it might be associated with sensory or motor loss as well. I would suggest discussing the situation, the precise procedure and the pros/ cons in detail with your treating doctor.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Hello I am so sorry to hear of your pain.  I don't know about burning the nerves however I do know of a lidocain patch called Lidoderm which numbs the nerves.  It was created for people with shingles, it is a numbing agent and does not give any side effects.  You could try that while you decide what to do.
Unfortunately some times when we have surgery, the surgery may work but then we end up with new pains.
Good luck
Hi I see where a doctor has answered your question, perhaps you should do what the doc says.
Good luck to you
Dee
hi sassyrabbit454; My wife's dr also wants to burn nerves in my wife's lower back.I am skeptical of this procedure.I would think your body has a MEMORY AND WOULD TRY TO REPLACE THE BURNED NERVES.Oops,had the caps lock on.I just got rid of my hep c virus and now my wife has had pain in her lower back.We have done everything to alleviate the pain.I have the same problem and after 6 weeks at a pain hospital,I learned how to treat pain.But my wife has about 3 conditions giving her the problem.Her dr suggested burning the nerves.After 2 treatments of shots(I think novacain shots) this will pinpoint the area for burning.It sound good bit it raises a red flag.My pain when I get it warns me that I am over doing something.I use pain as an alarm.If the nerves are burned,how is your body going to warn you or a problem of hurting yourself worse.I have a lot of questions for her dr.I am going to research this like I did with my hep.Also Hi DEE.How are things with you?