Back & Neck Community
c1 c2 fusion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

c1 c2 fusion

I had a c1 c2 fusion done 6 weeks ago and just started to get out of the hard collar at home.  They did a bone graft from my hip and when I turn my neck it makes a grinding noise.  I had a xray at 4 weeks and it showed the fusion was taking place but now I am nervous that I have screwed it up somehow by turning my neck to soon.  Is it possible to get a non union once the fusion has started?  
I don't have any knowledge to give u but it sounds scary. I wish u the best, plz keep us updated on how ur doing!!!! *hugs* I am 7 weeks post op frok an open back fusion surgery with instrumentation at l5/s1 and worry about failed back syndrome or broken hardware. I have my 7 week post op appt tomorrow and will see how things are going. I hear and feel popping sounds at my fusion site accompanied with sharp, shooting, piercing pain when I move. I will keep u in my thoughts!!!
Hey,

About a year ago, I was in a MVA in which I had broken my neck. Like you, they had to fuse my C1 and C2. The only thing attaching my head to my neck it a metal plate and about 6 screws. I was on the aspen collar for about 2 months and when I was told to wean off it, I was extremely scared! It took a while for me to get used to not wearing the collar and understanding that I am NOT going to screw up my neck. It's funny that you mention the grinding noise...I too, till this day...feel/hear the grinding noise when I turn my head.My neck also cracks alot? Do you get that? It's good to hear that it's just not me. I had asked my doctor about this and he pretty much said it's normal after all the "fixtures" they've done...oh well...ce'st la vie...Hope this helps!
HI
i had the same noise  for about 10 years now u get use to it and the pain so stop worrieding it will be alright
I am about to have this same surgery on the 16th.  What kind of collar is this that I'm going to be living in?  What should I expect from surgery to 6 weeks out?  be honest, please, I want the good, the bad, & the ugly...I don't like surprises.
thanks for your help