c1 c2 fusion
I had a c1 c2 fusion done 6 weeks ago and just started to get out of the hard collar at home.  They did a bone graft from my hip and when I turn my neck it makes a grinding noise.  I had a xray at 4 weeks and it showed the fusion was taking place but now I am nervous that I have screwed it up somehow by turning my neck to soon.  Is it possible to get a non union once the fusion has started?  
I don't have any knowledge to give u but it sounds scary. I wish u the best, plz keep us updated on how ur doing!!!! *hugs* I am 7 weeks post op frok an open back fusion surgery with instrumentation at l5/s1 and worry about failed back syndrome or broken hardware. I have my 7 week post op appt tomorrow and will see how things are going. I hear and feel popping sounds at my fusion site accompanied with sharp, shooting, piercing pain when I move. I will keep u in my thoughts!!!
Hey,

About a year ago, I was in a MVA in which I had broken my neck. Like you, they had to fuse my C1 and C2. The only thing attaching my head to my neck it a metal plate and about 6 screws. I was on the aspen collar for about 2 months and when I was told to wean off it, I was extremely scared! It took a while for me to get used to not wearing the collar and understanding that I am NOT going to screw up my neck. It's funny that you mention the grinding noise...I too, till this day...feel/hear the grinding noise when I turn my head.My neck also cracks alot? Do you get that? It's good to hear that it's just not me. I had asked my doctor about this and he pretty much said it's normal after all the "fixtures" they've done...oh well...ce'st la vie...Hope this helps!
HI
i had the same noise  for about 10 years now u get use to it and the pain so stop worrieding it will be alright
I am about to have this same surgery on the 16th.  What kind of collar is this that I'm going to be living in?  What should I expect from surgery to 6 weeks out?  be honest, please, I want the good, the bad, & the ugly...I don't like surprises.
thanks for your help
reply to neck fusion non fusion,yes it is possible ,I had to have 2 surgerys to get the fusion to bond. I am c1seperation from c2 survivor, accident happened10-3-1987 in USMC,spent 9 mos. in halo traction,1 year in hosp.If you would like to talk call my cell phone. Is there anybody else w/ C1 separation from C2, head separated from spine and have to have your head wired and bone fused back on. Please call cell phone if you want to talk, it has been 28 years since accident and surgeries,lots of experience with after effects.239-872-8314 Gregg