Back & Neck Community
calf and hamstring muscle pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

calf and hamstring muscle pain

Has anyone had trouble determining where their leg pain is coming from and as a result how to treat it?  I have had chronic bi-lateral calf and hamstring tightness for over 6 months with occassional pain the buttocks, no back pain.  Lumbar MRI shows small disc bulge on l4-l5 and l5-s1 without any nerve compression.  I have had a brain MRI and cervical spine MRI to rule out MS.  Have had normal electrolyte panel and negative EMG on both legs.  Did 6 weeks of PT, stretching, modalities.  The pain makes it hard to stand for more than a few minutes in one place at a time (i.e. talking to a neighbor in the yard).  It is not painful during sleep but in the morning when I place my feet on the floor out of bed the tightness returns immediately.  Is there any chance I may have an annular tear in a disc that can't be seen on an MRI and causing the pain?  I can't think of too many other conditions where pain is in the back of the legs like this except for lumbar discs.  Any advice is appreciated.  thanks in advance.

Bilateral tightness if it has a chord like "twang" in the tendons (usually lower limb) maybe an early sign of hepatitis, I've seen this on a few occasions albeit rare.  Get a thorough blood work done and keep up with your stretches.

Best Regards