Back & Neck Community
can sleeping on your neck cause dizziness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

can sleeping on your neck badly...cause slight dizziness when you get up in the morning?? worried please someone help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am not sure what you mean by sleeping on your neck "badly".  Is your neck bent at an awkward angle? Does the dizziness happen on initially standing up?  Does it ease in intensity within a short period or do you continue to have dizzy symptoms intermittently throughout the day?
I don't find a direct connection between your sleeping position and dizziness.  If you have additional information regarding your symptoms, it would help if you post an update,
Depending on your age and any other existing medical conditions, dizziness can be due to many different things.  More detailed explanation regarding your situation may help me assist you further.
In answer to your question about dizziness and your sleeping position is a resounding YES! This happened to me almost 20 years ago. I used to sleep in my stomach and twist my neck to either side. I woke up one morning wildly dizzy (couldn't stand up, nausea, etc.) and it finally settled down. Apparently, when turning your neck to a sharp degree you can kink the vertebral arteries and this can cause dizziness/vertigo (room spinning or you spinning). This is one expanation but I am sure there are others. Not to worry you,  but make sure you do NOT sleep on your stomach or twist your neck anymore or you may cause a permament problem. Mine has not gone away since that day in 1987.  Sleep on your back or side.  This is just a comment from someone who has experienced these symptoms!
yes i slept on my stomach and once and then i think when it was really cold i was sleeping on my side and bent my neck towards my stomach alomst and i think thats what caused it. i woke up and it was spining for a few seconds...freaked me out a lot...and then the rest of the day when i would bend my neck over...it would start to spin...but then went away the next day...im still worried its something else?? it couldnt be bppv could it??? soo worried.
As noted by carrollce, compression of any blood flow to the brain (as in her post) can result in sensation of dizziness due to lack of oxygen to the brain,  This should decrease as soon as you relieve the pressure and allow blood flow to resume.
You are sleeping in a position that contributes to this interruption in blood flow.
The possibility of benign paroxymal positional vertigo (BPPV) exists and is usually brought about by changes in position of the head.  If it occurs on a frequent basis, it might be related to inner ear dysfunction.  The inner ear is very sensitive to changes in movement.
There are no serious complications associated with BPPV, but a definitive diagnosis can only be made with medical evaluation.
If the dizziness persists and seems to be related to position changes of your head and neck, it would be beneficial to make an appt with your primary care physician for evaluation and appropriate testing.
Dizziness unrelated to position changes of your head can be caused by many different conditions including side effect of medication,  If any abnormal symptom occurs frequently or persists intermittently for over 2 weeks, it should be assessed by a physician.
Best wishes ----
the dizziness only happens sometimes...and it does seem to be when my neck it out of wacka  little but im still sooo nervous it is bppv....which i do not want. it doesnt happen very frequently which makes me think its not bppv...but im still soo worried???
If you are worried, as suggested by kittyluv1, you should to to your doctor right away. BPPV is easily treated - if you want to see what the treatment entails, just Google BPPV and you will see all sorts of information. Or go to www.vestibular.org and you will find everything relating to balance problems. As for me, I have a problem with my vertebra in the upper neck and so my problems continue without resolution. But I am still searching - I know there is an answer out there.  Don't just accept it - the sooner you find out what it is the sooner you can get it fixed. Good luck!