Back & Neck Community
can you have an MRI after a cervical fushion with hardware?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I had a fusion with hardware in me and my husband claims I can never get another MRI.  Is this true?
I thought the same thing, but called my surgeon and was told it was ok and that the  hardware will cause a little interference.Call your dr and ask.
Yes you can have a MRI after fusion with hardware.  I have already had one done and it was no problem.  I had three levels fused with a titanium plate and everything went well with the scan.
Avatar n tn
May I ask what Cervical Fushion with Hardware is please?

Thank you.
it is the titanium plate and screws that hold the fused discs together while your graft material grows
I had a fusion and hardwire and have been told you are not supposed to have a MRI done but my doctor said it would be ok so I went for it and now wish I had not because I could feel it being "pulled" during the procedure and all my symptoms have worsened since.  So seriously concider if it is neccessary.  It may be neccessary and unavoidable but if you begin to feel it being "pulled" ask them to stop the procedure and definately do not do a Myelo CT Scan if you can avoid it, especially if you have low spinal fluid like I do because after having that done I often feel like my legs cannot hold me up and I nearly collapse.  Maybe it depends on the type of hardwire material.  The one I have is no longer used.  
thank you all for answering!  Wow that last one sounds bad, has anyone else ever had that experience?  I hope you are feeling better now Melissa1619.  I feel like after the cervical fusion now my back problems are standing out and I don't know why its SO HARD to get a doctor to help.  anyways, thanks again.
Avatar n tn
The hardware is normally made from either stainless steel or more likely titanium. Nither is a "ferrious" metal. Only Ferrious metal reacts to magnetic fields. No way an MRI Pulls on hardware that is used in your body. If it did, it would rust!!!!....LOL. It's amazing what our head will do to us when we are in that tube.....................
I have a titantium plate from a C5/6 fusion and recently had and MRI.  MY NS said it had artifacts in the way and he couldn't get a clear reading of the MRI.  I wouldn't waste your time on the MRI because once you have hardware there isn't always a clear view of your spine.  I ended up with a CT myelogram instead.