Back & Neck Community
cervical disc into spinal cord

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

cervical disc into spinal cord

Hi My husbad has been diagnosed with a cervical disc which has protrudid into his spine...he has been on pain killers from sept..now I guess its surgery...has anyone ever done this , any advise will help.

thanks

Miri
Pretty much most of us here in this forum with cervical disc herniations have had them protrude into the spinal cord, myself included.  Seems to be that when the disc herniates that much, it's not going to go back into place.  I have found that the earlier they are caught, the better the chances are of getting the disc into proper place.  Usually at this point, pieces keep breaking off., they will either press on the nerve or into the spinal cord.  Early on, there is all kinds of PT that help, such as ultra sound and traction.  Your husband should continue with what ever therapy he is doing, but if it gets to the point that the pain is excruciating, then there is damage being done.  Then go for the surgery before permanent damage occurs.  I waited too long, not that I wanted to, I felt like I was dying.  But my medical care was slow due to workman's comp.  Everything needed a second opinion, and it took 2 months to get an appointment with a second neurologist before the surgery was approved.  I should have just gone to the ER as an emergency and it would have had to have been done.  But I didn't know any better then.  When I had the surgery, 2 more pieces had broken off, they were pressing on the nerve and spinal cord in 3 places.  Just don't let it get that far.  He will know when he's had enough.
  Good Luck
  dgri
Yes and the hardest thing about it is getting up after laying down,I had to roll off the couch on to the floor on to my knees than use stand and couch to push self up.He'll more than likely have bone spurs that the surgeon have to shave off.I've been dealingwith the cervical surgury and now lumbar herianated disc at the s1 level L3,L4and L5.they put the bridge in made out of titanium,sometimes they'll just use part of hip to but most of time now they go with the bridge.He'll be sore for a while and still have pain in the neck,I do and mines been done back in august 30.but i also am single dad of 2 boys so i couldn't get the rest that i needed to heal.