Back & Neck Community
cervical foraminiotmy surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

cervical foraminiotmy surgery

Has anyone had a foraminotomy surgery for the neck? If so did you get results and was your an anterior or posterior approach. The reason I ask is, I may need this at some point and want to talk to people who have had this. I also need to know how long they were in pain, meaning how long the nerve was irritated before there doctor decided it was time to do the surgery?
Greetings,

Welcome to our Back and Neck Forum. I am glad you found us and took the time to post. I'm sorry to hear about your cervical pain. I suffer from it also.

For our members and readers that may not know: "Foraminotomy is a surgical procedure for widening the area where the spinal nerve roots exit the spinal column. A foramen is the opening around the nerve root, and otomy refers to the medical procedure for enlarging the opening. In this procedure, surgeons widen the passageway to relieve pressure where the spinal nerve is being squeezed in the foramen."

I have not had this surgery but like you it's looming in my future. All depends on how long I can handle the discomfort. I suspect the same is true for you.

My Uncle had this surgery in 2010 by a surgeon considered to be the best in his area in TX. His pain was manageable, in fact he claimed the cervical pain was 90% decreased immediately post-op. His surgeon chose to do an anterior  approach - again for our readers that means from the front rather than the back of the neck. Unfortunately the surgeon clipped one of the nerves of my Uncle's throat. He was unable to swallow - even his own saliva for approximately months. I flew down 3rd day post-op due to this complication.

My Uncle required several months of PT (Physical Therapy) before his swallowing function returned - and a few more months before it healed completely. It was frightening but luckily it resolved. Five years later my Uncle remain (cervical) pain free.

The cervical spine has tiny structures and surgery is very delicate. Surgery on this area requires a very skilled surgeon with a lot of experience. I will choose wisely when my surgery can no longer be postponed.

I wish you the best. If you have additional questions please feel free to ask. I'm sure there are members that have had the actual surgery. I hope they will see your post and respond.

Take Care,
~Tuck