Back & Neck Community
chronic back pain for a long time

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

chronic back pain for a long time

I was injured  at work pulling a patient up in bed. My disc l5si ruptured. Since it was workers comp I had to wait 1 and a half years to get my first surgery a discectomy in 03. I had some relief for about 3 months. I had epidural shots before this and it was agonizing and made me vomit alot! I had to get shots to stop. In 05 I had a spinal fusion. For the last six months my pain has been getting worse. My left leg gives out sometimes and I fall. Have had 3 falls in 2 months. The last fall was 7/22/12 and has increased my pain! My lower back L side worse, leg, hip and groin. I was sent to pain management and my left foot is numb. He prescribed meds which are helping and says i have an impingement. I just had mris with and without contrast friday. He said possible surgery but he wants to do the epidural shots. He says it has changed since 02 but I dont want to be anymore miserable than I already am. I cant work,drive, bend lift more than 3 pds and the list goes on. I just want to know if anyone has had good or bad results with the epidural shots. If I have to have another surgery why do it? Sorry this post is so long but Its my first one. Thank you for listening and I would appreciate any advice you can give me. God bless all of you going through chronic pain, you are in my prayers!
I have back, neck legs , shouler, knee pain and swelling for 6 years now. I have been told to have some surgeries but they say only 29% chance it MIGHT help so I didn't do it.  I have 24/7 pain and lie in bed --lost my whole life really.  I can't twist or bend or even sit long.  I had epidurals, don't do much and wear off after 3 months anyway.  I am allergic and can't take pain pills so I suffer constantly.

I can relate...I have many other health issues too--mostly heart related and the inactivity doesn't help.  

I am always alone--hubby is busy, son moved.  I'm depressed and lonely.  I would love to talk.
I am praying for you! My husband works alot because of my lost income and my 3 sons are grown and moved away. I totally understand your loneliness and would love to talk with you! I am looking into SI joint disorders because many times back pain is misdiagnosed. I saw my pain management dr yesterday but he does not listen to me. Its his way or the highway. I am scheduled to have the first shot on friday but I had horrible reactions in 02 so I am frightened. He also wants to put electrodes surgically in my back and I said no. He is very rude and pushy. I am going to see my pcp to let her know what is going on and to see if she will refer me elsewhere. I really dont like or trust the pain management dr. I hope she will listen to me. I am really sorry about your pain! I know how depressed you can get and how hopeless you feel sometimes. Chronic pain takes a toll on your mind, body and spirit but don't give up as they are making strides in medicine all the time. There is always hope! I pray for your comfort and peace and that Jesus will hold you in His arms and you will feel better! With love musicgirlaz