colonoscopy and severe back pain afterwards
hi .im new here so apoligies if this is in the wrong area. last monday i had a colonoscopy due to ongoing pains ive had since an operation on my stomach for a perforated ulcer, it left me pretty bruised on me knee and hip , i went straight home to bed after and stayed there as i was in pain and slightly groggy from being knocked out. the next day i was very sore and crampy internally but externally i had a sore hip and lower back . about half way through the day while sitting up in bed my back suddenly gave intense pain , i was not moving at the time . with help i managed to lie down and took painkillers (tramadol) but it was still very painfull.
my local gp called the next day and examined me and she thinks its trapped ciatic nerve .she prescribed diazipan with the tramadol . i am still fairly immobile and need help just to get out of bed , it has improved slightly over the few days but any kind of movement is painfull . the pain is mainly in the lower right of my back near the spine .
is this typical? and is there a typical timeframe for recovery ?
thanks
Hi, you should have no pain after a colonscopy. You may get bad gas that feels like a stabbing pain for a couple of hours after you eat but otherwise it goes away. I ate a granola bar that they me right after the procedure so I got the gas. But my husband didn't eat anything and had soft foods after and no pain. Generally if there was a problem it wouldn't be back pain it would be in the intestinal area. We also had very little groggyness after the colonscopy. I wouldn't drive home but maybe a hour after I was totally clear.It sounds like it is more related to the other problems you are having. You could report it to the doctor that did the colonscopy just in case. But our experience is no pain except gas.
Sorry you are going through this.
mkh9
It does sound like positioning for the procedure aggravated your sciatic nerve.  Most back pain goes away on its own within 6 weeks.  Pain relievers like Advil may help a bit.

It would be worse if you had a lot of cramping and abdominal discomfort and blood in your stool since rarely the colon can be perforated with this procedure.  
Same here! I just had a colonoscopy yesterday. Doctor told me to go on a high fiber diet & I also have acid reflux problems. So went home ate a cobb salade with Garzanbo beans & almond milk to go with it. Afterwords I kept running to the bathroom feeling like I have to go bad. Aferall that rush & running just a bunch of gas was like that through out the night & I ate some ginger snaps cause I googled Ginger helps relieve gas. Then the next morning went to work and had a really painful cramps maybe lower stomach abdominal area. I still ran to the bathroom just gas, so thinking a huge gassy problem. Still continued severe painful cramps. So I did lapse around work, got myself to walk a lot. Kept a gingerale with me through out the day. The cramps did go away. Towards the end of the day I then was having severe pain in my lower back in hips. I googled that, saw sites that say usually 50, 60s year old woman get that, & I'm only 28. Then you said your have back hip pains. I had me hunched over it hurt a lot. Soon after I went home from work & just rested fort the rest of the day. Still really gassy when I go to the bathroom. Currently little cramps & little Back hip pain im not moving around as much today also took 2 ibprofens to ease the pain. I just called the Doctor Office but just so happen to be on there lunch hour. So waiting til around 1 to call them again & see what they have to say.  
Yep just called the doctor office. Said they did some biopsies from the colonoscopy. Also said that its common to have the symptoms afterwords. so Feeeeew
Well, maybe I was lucky. I did have some gas pains for about an hour but that was it. I think some air or gas can get trapped and then it gets passed eventually. Did they tell you do to do anything to make it go away or just time makes it go away? It is time for me to get another one this year.
mkh9
i had a colonostophy and they removed a pholop now im getting pains about where my kidney is but a little higher it only hurts when im sitting up i can still feel it when im laying on my side or standing but not nearly as bad im worried the last time i felt pain like this was before i had my appendix removed they went in did an emergency surgery and removed an absest the size of a large grapefruit it turns out my appendix had been leaking for some time and created the abbsest which was what was causing my pain altogether the pain is similar to what i have now but then it only hurt when i bent over this just hurts the most while sitting im thinking that something could be happening  that is similar but ive had 2 ct scans and an x-ray and nothing any ideas please   my name is jim  its been hurting for 5 days and im just starting to get diahrea
Jimhurtingbad, I had to repost your message because it had your phone number on it and you can't post that on here. You should see your doctor because you may have gotten an infection from the procedure if you are getting pain and diarrhea. So, best to get it checked out.
mkh9
p.s. They can do a stool culture and also if you have diarrhea like 8-10 times a day then you can also get checked for a bacteria called Clostridium difficile. It depends on how frequent the diarrhea is. But I would get it checked by a GI doctor.
mkh9