Back & Neck Community
crackling noise in my neck/head area

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

crackling noise in my neck/head area

Hello:  I am wondering if this is a very serious condition.  I have a rice crispy sound popping grinding like noise.  This is experienced when I turn my head from shoulder to shoulder or back and forth.  I get vertigo as well.  No headaches or pain, just a very weird sound coming from my neck or the back of my head.  Any clue?

Thank you,
Karen
Karen,

I have exactly the same thing.  My neck grinds and cracks with weird noises when I turn my head from side to side.  I did head MRI and it was normal.  My pcp doesn't know, but she suspect arithritis.  Maybe someone else have the same issues with some advise.  I am assuming some neck stretching and exercise might be beneficial.
I hear rice cripsy noise while turning my neck or head. My x-ray report is normal. Does any one knows its diagnosis and treatment. My name is Rajendra Singh and email: ***@****
This is most likely due to loss of disk between your vertibrae that could cause arthritis. I would find a chiropractor, get some x-rays done. Check the chiropractor's references thoroughly before hand. Your spine is not something to take lightly. Good luck and I'll be praying for you.
I have it too...nothing to worry about, just do some neck exercises, its help
Karen,
    I just asked an orthopedic surgeon about this and was told that it was degenerative, possibly arthritis, and that a lot of people have it. I have noticed it for the last couple months- it doesn't hurt, but the "crackling and crunching" IS a little unsettling. I would love to find out if neck exercises have any effect.
I GET THE NOISE WHEN I WALK AND CLIMB UP STAIRS, ALSO WHEN I GO TO BED IT'S ALWAYS THERE IT'S A PAIN DOES ANYONE GET MY SYMPTOMS AND ALSO DOES IT WAKE YOU AT NIGHT
AM 52 YEARS OLD i HAVE THE SAME THING i WOKE UP WITH A STIFF NECK THAT WOULD,NT GO AWAY FEELING  TIRED AND OFF BALANCE AND CRUNCHING NOISE WHEN i MOVE MY HEAD AROUND AFTER THE X RAYS ,MRIYHAVE 2 BONES OUT OF JOINT AND CHRONIC ARTHRITIS NOW i AM GOING TO  THERAPYBABS835
The audible sounds you're hearing are due to the process of joint degeneration within your cervical spine. It's a sign of weakening stability.

If you find a good Upper Cervical chiropractor (www.UpCspine.com) to stabilize the area, often times those noises will diminish, or go away altogether.
Yes its due to 3 things: 1) Sporting or wrestling somebody put you into a tight headlock for 15 -20 seconds. 2) Degenerative conditions of the Discs 3) When you reach age 41. All These Audible noises have no pain. Please see your Doctor as soon as possible and tell them the truth how it or could off happened. Put a Heat Pack on do some Physiopherapy, keep head straight when sleeping.
I have had the same problem. I had x-rays and an MRI. Started going to physical therapy and the therapist said it is muscle spasms. The results of the MRI were mild muscle spasms but otherwise negative same as my x-rays. I also have vertigo which is a bummer. The exercises help but my neck is in constant stiff mode...Not sure what else to do other than hope pt is the answer...
I have the cracking of the neck to and I know it is arthritis, I used to do the collanetics neck exersises, I guess it did work, if you have any additrional information about this please let me know.  

Also I wont get into details because it is a long story, but about 10 yrs ago 51 yrs old,I had a terrible ear infection and my neck cracking, they got me in Antibiotis and it did not help.  So by a circumstance that was a blessing I found out abuout "Angelica" (research it) well it cure my craking and Vertigo which was very severe.  Now 61 yrs old I had same problem and remembered the "Angelica" I am getting better, please check before using it. I has help me as a miracle and my Vertigo is almost Gone.
im 16 and ive been getting that noise in my neck sometimes, i think its something to do with fluid moving around your body, but its in the neck area so you can hear it, its nothing to worry about and theres nothing wrong with you. its normal
Going thru the same thing as far as the noise in the neck/head area. I just finished CT and MRI. I have a few issues as mentioned by others. I was told that as annoying as it is that if pain isn`t involved there`s nothing to worry about.
To all that has posted with a concern:

I say this to all and that is a major issue with that noise. I was experiencing that as well. what that is. It is a disk possibly more then one ruptured or bulging out. When the disk is pushed out or bulging causes dryness in the vertebrae, hence the crackling sound being made. These disks act as a bushing so to speak and without it, it is just bone moving.

Mine got worse on Dec 1st when a car slammed into my car causing the disks to now push along the spinal cord.  They want to do fusions on my C4-C5 and C6-C7. But I was told not to let them fuse anything because it will make it worse. I know about 125 people now suffering with more pain then the normal pain and headaches caused by bulging disks.

The only corrective surgery is a fusion, but that is not worth it. as long as your spinal cord is not pinched then you will be okay outside of pain and irritation and some noises.
I am experiencing the same thing and I am only in my teens.  It is a noise that only i can hear and it sounds like something is getting rubbed together between my skull and spinal cord; however, it is not a popping noise like a joint being popped.  It is a definite grinding/crunching/crackling sound/feeling.  I feel like i notice it more often when I am lacking sleep, but that might just be a coincidence.  I'm starting to become more concerned because it is starting to happen more often.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what it might be or what they that done when they had the same symptoms.
I have been having the same crackling noise for about 10 years and it's good to know that I am not alone. I would love to know what causes the irritating crackling noise. I always wondered if anyone else could hear it or if I was just nuts.
i have the same thing so i went to a chiropractor and he said that my spine looked perfect who else do i need to see to get the sound gone it feels like my neck is popping out of place ive been dealing with it for 6mths and it's getting worse
I too have noticed a crunchy, grinding sound when I turn my head from side to side.  The noise is like fingers on a chalk board to me.  Mine is at the top of my neck and right in the groove under the base of my skull.  I also have a heavy feeling in my head and dizziness.  Actually, I am having close to 10 dizzy spells a day. Hopefully, going to the doctor soon.  My insurance is pulling out of my state and dropping me, so I don't want to see one just yet.  I don't want a "preexsisting" condition not being covered. Glad to see some other people have this.
I have a stiff neck with a crunchy rice krispy sort of sound too. I get a lot of muscle tension, and sometimes pain in my back, had x rays done and they said that I have degeneration, not a very pleasant sensation. I went to a chiropractor who only made it worse!!!
My neck cracks, crackles, pops...you name it... everytime I move it!  It's only been a few months and the noise drives me crazy!  It's worse and louder in the evening but still constant.  Going to try PT in a few days hope it helps/  Can't imangine it being good for your neck, all the cracking..And besides not the best for your mental health!  Had an ex-ray and came back fine.
I have had this crackeling in my neck for years, now for the last 2-3 years I have suffered horrible headaches and heat in my head, and the crackeling has turned into the feeling of shards of glass breaking,  I now am also having pain in my ears.  the doc says my ears look fine. sometimes these head aches would last for weeks, nothing would get rid of them or ease them but 4 to 6  ibuprifone and 2 tylenol at the same time..  I have treated them that way for years as the doctors kept telling me nothing is wrong.  I now has stomache problems due to using these meds for too long.   Going to the chiropractor made the pain in my head and neck worse.  I have tried three different ones.
I moved to another city recently, the headaches were unbaerable by this time and lasting a month or so. when I turn my head and it shoots pain into my head and feels like presure in my ears.
   I went to a doctor here when  I started having pain in my arms so bad that I could not stand it.  she did ex-rays which she said did not show anything, but sent me to a spine doctor. they did an MRI and some blood test.  a year earlier I had a test  for RA but was negative, this time it is posative, this doctor states this is the stiff constant crackeling in my head and neck.  also  I have disc protrusions in the middle of my back that can also cause other problems through out the spine.
   They refered my to an RA doctor, here it takes 3 to 6 months to get into one. I now am waiting in missery,  and scared, because i am missing a lot of work due to the pain,  fmla time will run out before my RA appointment.  
*  Be Persistant with your doctors,     This is not normal.       Even if it is just irritating at this point, do something proactive to keep it from getting worse.
  Massage does help to keep blood flow and nutrients flowing through the area and helps it from becoming very stiff. it also helps with pain if you have it.  get a pillow that will support your neck while you sleep and is not to stiff.
ive had them ever since i can remember,no 1 understood me and it sounded like i was going mad im 35 and still get it.but its nice to hear that im not alone ive never been treated for it just lived with it all my life.
just had medal rods placed from c3 thru c7. feel a popping when neck moves, Is it the muscles snapping or something else....
I have had the "rice crispy" sound coming from my neck for years and years.  No one can hear it up but me yet it seems so loud.  I just wonder how much longer this grinding can continue before something just breaks.  Same thing with my jaw that pops constantly (at least it doesn't hurt).
I too have this awful noise in my neck and now a new area in my head like a crunching.....and im getting more and more headaches...im so glad that other people have the same condition, im going to the doctors next week i think ive had enough now....Oh i also have vertigo!!
I had this too.  Ive done chiro, yoga, medication, trigger point therapy, on and on and on.

It is a muscle in my neck -Trigger Point by Claire Davies help me to figure out exactly what is was.  It is a muscle called scalenes in the front of the neck. Muscles are not independent entities, if one is pulling or tight, it throws other muscles out - this is called referred pain.

It pulls on your inner ear - ear pain, vertigo, pressure.  It pulls on your eyes and causes pressure feelings behind your eyes, and blurry eyes, lights, flashes, etc...  It pulls on your nose and it completely shut off my left sinus and caused negative pressure/suction in my ear.  It has made me nauseous for months on end.  It causes heart palpitations when it gives you TOS.  If you dont fix it, or you go for surgery, something else will just get pulled out next - my sister went this route 10 years ago and so far she has had about 20 surgeries.  It moved from her neck to her back to her knees and now her feet. If you dont fix the root of the problem, it will move around.

Ive had it throw out my back, mess with my hips, legs, knees, make fingers go numb, and had it make my hamstrings feel like they were being stretched all the time.  Too many things to list really.  It can also pull your neck out of alignment and make you loop thoughts and feel like your'e crazy.

A chiro fixed me, cost a bundle and I had to go for 2 years.  Then he moved away.  It came back.  I am now doing light yoga (5 min a day) and neck & back exercises while I work - I do the "Mckenzie method".  

This is so easy to say, and so often overlooked.  When I started searching for answers, I totally ignored this one! This comes from sitting with your head protruded forward, and your shoulders either upwards or forwards or both, and your back flat instead of having a natural lordosis.

Go to youtube and look for "McKenzie Neck" & "Cervical Retraction" for how to.  The one exercise has you retract the neck and then turn your head to the "bad" side.  When I do that exercise the correct way, I hear no popping or cracking at all.  This pretty much tells me that my lousy posture screwed me up and is causing this cracking and popping noise.  This is a WARNING - having a noise or pain.  A warning to pay attention, not say "oh its old age", or "oh its normal" or "oh its arthritis".

Sitting at a desk typing on the computer is the worst.  Buy the book, its $10 and it does work if you do it. After you do the exercises for a month, you naturally sit better.  You dont have to remind yourself at all, it is natural to sit correctly, once the problem and pain is gone.

Good luck everyone!
The book is:  7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life: How to Rapidly Relieve Back and Neck Pain
Robin McKenzie, Craig Kubey

Upper back curved forward, lower back flat or no lordosis, shoulders up (high shoulder) or shoulders hunched over and pulled forward, are all causes, but the neck craned forward... is the root cause.  Short scalenes muscles cause the worst problems.

heey guys soo did any1 find out wt this condition is?kz i too seem to have it but cnt find any answers. havent gone to the docs yet kz am too scared as am 19 n am afraid of what thyll tell me!!my grinding/cracking noise is in my whole head and neck sometimes just a little sound can cause the noise. and i also get pins and needles on the right side of my head!!thoh my ears and nose tend to pop at times too and they feel blocked so am wondering if these r my sinuses!!plz help..thanx!!!!
it could be the bones grinding IDK im only 14...
but it could cause arthritus:'<
this is all how it started i bought some weed from this dude that i didnt really know about 4-3 months ago and ever since i would just smoke and every time i would smoke after i bought it from that dude i would her a snap in my head like little pop in the middle of my head  but i thought i was just high as **** untill july 4th i smoked so good mid grade and also was drinking 1 beer after the blunt was done i felt this weird ache in my left side of the brain and about 10 mins later my head and neck makes does pop snap crackle noise from the back of my head and neck are idk what to do i need help is there a cure for this plz also you can email me at ***@****. thank you !
I had a crackling neck and shoulder. Basically what I did was three days worth of mobility exercises (hours each day while I watched tv) plus relaxation techniques. I used lots of rotation of the shoulder and turning of the neck style exercises. I moved my arms and shoulders in circular movements and noticed where the mobility was impaired. I let my mind feel it was "okay" as I tested and then extended the mobility. I noticed and enjoyed the relaxation of muscles as it occurred in real-time as I exercised. Blood flow that had been cut-off or restricted came to the shoulder and it was very pleasurable as I brought it back to a normal balance and blood flow became unrestricted.

In my case, my shoulder muscles were way too tense, probably as a reaction to an injury I must have suffered years before.

The only thing that could tell the muscles to relax was my mind. As long as the muscles were in "protection" mode by bunching up, I was going to have a "crunchy shoulder." I had to combine mind and body to free the shoulder. As more and more of the shoulder freed, I felt more blood flow to the shoulder. I knew I was on the right track. One trick I picked up off the internet from a masseuse was to note a muscle as it relaxed, and say to myself, "I think it's relaxing now, I can feel it."

Now I have full mobility.

Now I have full mobility.

I'd suggest seeing a good physical therapist. I hope my personal story offers hope for others.
Thank you so much!  I have all the symptoms you mentioned including the crunching sound, vertigo, light flashes, and hip pain.  I've been to so many doctors and am discouraged that no one seems to know what's happening.  I'm going to YouTube and then to find the book.  I have great faith in the human body to heal itself.  Again, thank you a thousand times for sharing.
I came across this forum because I was feeling/hearing the creaking in my neck when I turned from shoulder to shoulder. I am tired and haven't really rested well the past few days and feel that maybe I am just under too much stress. I am going to take a tylenol and see if it helps it. Especially since several of the posting refer to arthritis as one of the possible causes. It should help with the inflammation. The real reason that it concerned me was because of the other thing I was feeling. When turning my head from side to side my left ear canal, down to right below the earlobe around the left base of my skull feels like it is being stretched and my ear canal feels as if it is being stretched. Has anyone else felt this kind of thing?
I am part of the neck popping/cracking club. It began about 9 months ago after a "crick" in my neck which hurt so bad it forced me to a chiropractor. The chiropractor helped the immediate symptoms. I talked with my internist and with a physical therapist friend of mine. It seems I have degenerative disk problems (I am close to 60). My PT friend recommended some McKenzie style exercises which eliminated all of the pain. However, the popping remains. Apparently it is the result of "cavitation" where fluids and gases exchange in the spinal area. I have found the following very helpful:

http://www.spinegroup.com/Advice/NkCrk.html

7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life: How to Rapidly Relieve Back and Neck Pain by Robin McKenzie
Thank you for letting me know its normal and others have this crackling noise--and thanks for letting me know I am not nuts and thinking I am the only one with this condition !!!
Dear all,
please reply my message, I am very worried and do not know what to do, and kink of panicking.
I am 30 and this is the first week I have experienced this creaking noise when I turn my head, especially to left. It is like a popping noise.
I have been going to the gym for the past 7 months, 3 times a week.
Never had problems like this before this week.
Recently I have started doing this "Russian twists" at the cable machine (here is a video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_voSaSicT8&feature=related
this exercises consists in getting the cable (weighed) with 2 arms, and pulling in a lateral way, keeping arms possibly straight.This "Russian twist" has been advised to me by the fitness advisor to reduce my hip measurement.
I probably performed the set of exercise too fast, whereas I should have processed slowly?
I think that my noise (no pain, maybe just a bit of stiffness) was caused by this Russian twist, I am sure because 2 days ago came back to the gym, did the same exercise, and the neck started creaking regularly.

Dear all, I am very scared because I have never had this noise, I have always had a regular sport life, and just appeared overnight (indeed I thought it was the sleep position) 4 days ago, and the noise is the same and does not shows signs of giving way.
It's saturday, here in the weekend I cannot find anyone to visit me, not even the gym club masseuse wants to see me.

I am completely ignorant in this. I would like to hear your opinion on this, because I feel very scared and would like to know if I have chances that this goes away or I have to run as quickly as possibly to a specialist.

From your experience, is it possible that this has been caused by a clumsy exercise in the gym? Do I have chances that I am over-worrying and that this goes away by itself  or should I worry? Or should I just accept it because I am an idiot and just ruined my neck for ever?

To all, thank you to everyone who replies me. Sorry not have been able to contribute to the threat but I really do not know anything about this and hope you all can get better in some way.

Kind regards,
im 23 years old in the past week ive had irregular heart beats pain up and down my spine, numbness in the left side of my body and i've lost conciousness 3 times...i went to the ER and an EKG read normal yet my heart was beating at 3 times the normal pace. they want to tell me it's just anxiety but ive had anxiety attacks before...this most certainly is NOT anxiety. what might be the problem
If you haven't noticed the symptoms prior to exercising and until you recently started this new exercise, I believe that this may be the root of your problem. The Russian Twist, like most exercises, if not done correctly puts additional strain on other body parts. It is possible that turning your body from side to side with or without additional weights, can put straine on your scalene muscles, causing tightness and small muscle tears that will eventually repair. This could be caused from working out new muscles with this workout you have never tried before, perhaps you didn't even notice you were working out these muscles, or even insufficient stretching afterwords. If you have no other symptoms and have not visited your doctor to further explore additional signs, then I would suggest hot/cold compress, slight stretching, and range of motion exercises. If the symptoms continue to presist I would recommend seeing a doctor to see if you have a muscle strain or slipped disk, although the pain would be more severe and could interfere with your activities of daily living.
          I also wanted to add that I am 23 years old, exercise regularily, and am a nursing student. I have had chronic tension headaches for the past few years with cracking in my neck with ROM exercises. I havn't gotten to the root of the problem yet, but have slimmed it down to posture, stress, looking down for to long at a book/computer/ect, muscle stiffness (especally in my scalene muscles radiating to the back of my neck) and sleeping positions. I have yet to receive an MRI, but am getting there as the aggrevating facotrs are outweighting the alleviating factors. I hope this helps!

-Natalie
I didn't have the crackling and grinding noise til after I had cervical spine surgery. I also have alot of tension and neck pain, with my head feeling like a ton of bricks followed by extreme tiredness. Before my surgery I had disc bulges and bone spurs and abnormal curve on the bottom 4 disc of my cervical spine. From what the Dr. told me he did was shave my bone spurs and replaced the 2 worst disc of my neck which were the 2 at the very bottom of neck, with bone graphs, plates and screws, which corrected my abnormal curve. I had it done in Nov.2010 and I'm still under the Dr.s care not released yet to go back to life before surgery. Well here it is almost a year and still have the pain and tension I had before surgery along with added grinding, crackling etc... But yet my Dr. tells me my surgery helped. been trying to get my disability. I have disc bulges in lower back from L-2 all the way to S-1, the L-5 & S-1 have tears which leak onto my sciatic nerve and makes it very painful, Sometimes I cry, & sometimes I wish someone would put me out of my misery, it's gotten to where I can barely walk alot of the time, it makes it hard to sleep. I've been very depressed, like noone understands me. It has effect my life and never get to enjoy it anymore. I have young grandkids and I can't even enjoy them because of the pain it's taken alot away. The Dr. wants me to have lower back surgery and I'm having a hard time deciding. For 1 I'm scared & 2 what IF it doesn't help, like it hasn't for my neck. I'm having to apeal my disability because I've benn denied twice already, so now I have a lawyer helping with my case. My Dr. is the type that thinks because he did surgery on me I'm able to do the work I use to do. Not including everything else I've been diagnosed with within the last 3 years. Neuropathy, fibromyalga (fibromyalgia), COPD, carpal tunnel( had surgery), osteopena, degenerative disc disease, mini stroke, arthosis on the spine etc.. I'm just tired of the pain it's cripling and don't know how much longer I can take it. Sorry if I bored anyone, but it seems noone understands me or listens to the way it makes me feel.
I get the same noises in my neck but only after a migraine?? Any ideas?!
I understand what you are saying, but the pain was so bad for me, I went ahead with fusion 4 through 6. It was the best thing I could have ever done. I was told that my cervical spine was in bad shape. I first started out with the Chiropractor who was very good, but my spine would not stay in place. They sent me to a pain specialist and that was a waste of my time and money. Finally the chiropractor said that I needed to see a neuro surgeon. This was 5 years ago. If you have a good surgeon (do research) and follow their directions, you will feel better. If all you have is stiffness and noise, stick with therapy. If you start feeling a lot of pain, find a good neuro surgeon. Good Luck!
I have experienced this and it is also associated with hunger..I'm just a nursing student,but my theory is that your body is lacking glucose. Glucose travels through the blood and your CSF. I'm guessing this is where your body is trying to maintain homeostasis or balance things out by distributing the glucose you do have to your brain to keep your body running.Like a car low on gas..the car runs,just not as efficiently. I believe if u monitor your diet and blood sugar,this problem will go away. Either way I would go see a doctor who can rule out any neurological issues u may be having/teach u how to control your blood sugar levels.Hope this helps guys!
With this theory,the crackling sound is not associated with movement. Hearing crackles with movement is a completely different situation.
Yes I have the same problem and my doctor is now investigating the possibility of arthritis in the neck.  Also when I walk I have a clicking noise in my ears which is very irritating.  I have fibromyalgia and narrowing of the lower spine.  I'm only 56 and feel like 90 some days.  Housework is becoming a challenge and have to sit down every ten minutes.  It's really becoming the pits.
some people laugh at the expense of other people's troubles, but if you truly and honestly had this condition, you would not be such an *** and help your fellow man.  Get off the weed and join the human race!

I got the same crackling after a visit to the chiropractor shook things up and made my muscles even tighter. I've been doing the McKenzie stretches and they seem to help but a fast (if impermanent) cure I recently discovered is to lie on your back across your bed and gently hang your head down over the side. After five minutes of letting gravity stretch everything out, carefully lift your head back up (maybe even use your hands to help out) and everything should have resettled and the crackling should be a ton better, at least for a few hours.
I had these EXACT same symptoms.  Finally had a western blot lyme test (do NOT rely on a screener--they are known to be very inaccurate, both negatively AND positively) and tested positive for several bacteria which would have come from a tick bite I had earlier.  ALL of my other tests were negative (I went to 5 doctors before the positive western blot lyme test).  Arthritis can be a side effect of lyme bacteria!  If you can't get the western blot test done, try taking supplements for lyme and see if your symptoms get better.  If you google search lyme supplements you will find several resources.  My best luck has come from the Buhner Protocol.  

Good luck!
Thanks!  You hit it right on the nail.  I am a healthy 45 yr old female with exact crackling sounds back of neck whenever I move head up/down and side/side.  I was diagnosed a couple of years ago as having degenerative disc disease.... all normal as we age.  Agree with you about the fusion.  I used to work as a neuro-nurse... any surgery should be performed as last resort.  Great comments to all!
You are 16
You shouldnt have these problems at 16 you should get to your doctor asap and ask about getting an MRI
Yes this is exactly what Im also experiencing!!    Im really worried as I dont know why it came on.... Im not in any pain but just really fed up with the crunching noise in my neck, top base of my skull too!!!
Im a mother of five children and im 35 years old and im stressed out by this.    Is there any cure and is there a medical name for this problem?
My 11 year olds neck pops when he turns his head...im scared
RA is not the only bad boy on the block, mine is Psoriatic Arthritis Ankylosing Spondylitis and I don't like it. but your describing it well.
I have the same symptoms in my neck.they started after a mild to moderate motorcycle accident.The crackle in neck,joint popping pain ect .currently going to see a back surgeon  not sure how serious it is.30 years old active person.My word of advice to all is be careful of what kind of treatment you are having done to your body.you just might end up worse.I would start with a orthopedic surgeon   back surgeon.I am a skeptic of chiropractic treatment  and chiropractors themselves .Do so at your own risk.Treatment options and recovery might be better from the orthopedic specialist.But some people may think otherwise just consider all things before you let people working on major parts of your body sometimes thing are not reversible and may regret it.Best of wishes to everyone and hope things to get better. Thank you all for your posting's really helpful and informative on everyone's  experiences with these symptoms.
Mine crackles, crunches and grinds immediately after a migraine as well, Ruth.  I know I'm replying to a three month old comment, but I wanted to add to Ruthyd's comment that it happens to me too.  I end up having so much neck pain when the migraine is beginning to go away (muscular as well) that when I am rubbing the back of my neck and turning my head side to side I hear this crunching and grinding in my spine at the base of my skull where my brain stem leads into it.  The day after a migraine, my neck is so sore and stiff it has a slightly numbing feel to it.  (Every time I mention my neck pain, I am specifically talking about the spine part of my neck at the base of my skull.)  The crunching sound is so loud inside my head I swear other people should be able to hear it, but they can't.  I have to do neck exercises with the migraine, my neck is so stiff I need to turn my head from side to side, back and forth, tilting it from left shoulder to right shoulder, rolling my head from my chest to shoulder to back to other shoulder and around and around.  It is so loud, the crunching.  

Does anyone else notice this "crunching" associated with migraines?  I mean, It's crunchy all day long, every day, but it's extra-crunchy during and after my migraines.
hi, I have the same thing. I have read that it may be related to lyme's disease or mold exposure. I appreciate the way you distinguish the sound from a popping sound.
I don't think most people are referring to the vertebrae in the neck itself, more the base of the skull where it meets the neck, sounds more 'cartilagey' to me as I have had it myself for a few years now with no pain whatsoever.
Think the two conditions are separate and unrelated.
i have exactlt the same thing. Don't worry I'm 42 now and I've had if for years and never had any pain from it. Really don't think it's more than perhaps bit of damaged cartilage perhaps.
Me too!!!!
Funnily enough, I think mine started from doing sit ups a certain way. I have done stomach exercises for years, but thinking back, I do believe I must have wrenched cartilage or sinew at base of skull where it joins the neck and have had the creaking crunch ever since... I have had it for years but no pain from it, I've just accepted it now really.
Dear shortstuff,

I can understand your frustration. I have a similar life. Has there been any updates?

Mrsbonfan
I have the neck grinding noise too....has anyone explored the Lyme disease angle?
this could be due to chronic deficiency of vitamin d causing osteomalacia....its pretty common in sedentary people who dont expose themselves to sunlight and vegetarian foods dont contain it and only some fishes contain it in enough quantities...so sunlight is the main source..so vegetarians r at risk..
symptoms include general fatigue,bony aches especially back pain..general malaise,depression,lack of motivation....sound on holding ur hands together and then suddenly extending or sound on turning ur head from side to side can be caused by this due to microstress fractures....so check ur total vitamin d levels or vitamin d3 levels and if low urgently show an orthopaedician or an endocrinologist for detailed assessment and treatment with vitamin d supplementation
What is Angelica?
hi just read your piece about Angelica, i have the same symptoms as you, do you take it orally or as cream, i carnt seem to find it on the interenet, only the stuff you use in cooking
Hi all, Thanks for all your posts -- I came upon the site in a desperate search to help me get better -- I have had vertigo for the past 6 weeks. I have been doing the vestibular exercises to help -- they involve moving my head up and down and then left and right -- I noticed a crack that I could also feel in my throat -- looked up and saw that others have similar symptoms.

I will try the McKenzie exercises and continue with the vestibular exercises that really do seem to be helping.  Some of you have been asking about angelica -- I have not tried but think it is a reference for an herb "Bai Shi" or Dahurican Angelica Root.  I will ask my acupuncturist about it.

It has been really interesting reading all your comments. I suffer from a lot if not all that has been discussed. It is consoling to feel I am not alone. I do have an underactive thyroid which appears to complicate things a bit.
I am back in the researching stage, so I am going to explore again some of the issues raised
A cycle of my condition which does bother me, and I wonder if anyone else suffers from this problem.
I often get a surge of energy release when i touch certain points in my body, often major trigger points: like between my thumb and finger or my big toe and many more points. It often feels like a minor seizure as I actually lose control of my limbs as if my body is adjusting itself., it was really scary but I actually like it now, as the point of pain diminishes.
But actually the symptoms do not go away, and it becomes obsessive.
But I am not sure what is happening!!!
Hello
I am also experiencing the neck pain on my left side for these past few years. I feel like that if my neck felt stiff, I would just tilt my head slowly and there comes the popping sound as if the binds on my neck were removed but throbbing pain ensues with a headache. Just last year I was also diagnosed with vertigo. I wonder if they are related...I just had a check up and the doctor is trying to rule out cases of spondylosis or scoliosis. Just haven't had an x-ray yet.
I have the problem. Unfortunately my doctor does everything over the phone  so i have no idea what it is
I actually thought i was alone! i felt ppl would think im weird if i asked about it, but its so irritating i had to try and look if i was alone. it actually scares me. at night wen i toss and turn every time i turn my head i hear that crunching and sometimes it makes my ears like pop, like air coming out. i haven't seen that symptom with anyone else. i get migraines i wasn't sure they were associated with this crunching. and during the day i get it too, drives me nuts cause i cant control it.. even if i slightly look down or up it happens. sometimes its worse than other times. i think i will try vit. D i saw someone recommended that on another post here. i take B so i will add D.  sooo glad im not alone, but i am worried. i have that same crunching in my knees but its not as scary because its not in my head and hearing it constantly!
I have 3 abnormalatys neck I have to go on for a magnefied MRI as  the first scan was of my hole neck. I get a clicking noise from 1 click to about 10 all at once  depends how I tilt my head I get it more at lower neck thn the top base of skull . But I have a lot of pain with mine the popping dnt hurt as far as I'm aware but I can feel it. I have full body pain but most days its just 1 side head to toe
I have 3 abnormalatys neck I have to go on for a magnefied MRI as  the first scan was of my hole neck. I get a clicking noise from 1 click to about 10 all at once  depends how I tilt my head I get it more at lower neck thn the top base of skull . But I have a lot of pain with mine the popping dnt hurt as far as I'm aware but I can feel it. I have full body pain but most days its just 1 side head to toe. I can help out to thy who suffer pain . Sorry dnt make scence I'm in pain as I write this need help I can help u cope and try few things for releaf. Best thing is ice not bag of peas or ice pack ice cubes in a bag . Ur ment to keep on for 15 mins every hour keep on till ice cubed turn to water as the cold water helps do this till Ur neck is numb."contact me ***@****
My neck is doing that too im affraid of what it is i thought that i might go to the hospital and get an xray, and my bum bone near my cocsys is in pain! wtf is it? do you know anything about this?
Spinal compression. I also have pain and numbness in the left part of my body. I also had palpitations, increased heart rate, chest pain and breathing difficulties and I know that this is NOT anxiety. Often when I crack my neck I feel immediately better for 10-20 minutes, then the symptoms slowly accumulate again.
In my case I get this mostly at night. It looks like all of my symptoms worsen dramatically after 2-3 hours being horizontal.
Also look into brachial plexus lesions and thoracic outlet syndrome.
Hope this can help.
One side head to toe? Which side?
I have the same fine cracking sound around my neck..but mostly the back part. these tiny cracking sounds are like small fibers that snaps , it sounds more like when you twist or bend a bundle of fine sticks as in a broom. Many says these are arteries or veins that have become stiff, definitely  these are too tiny to be bones sounds. I am convinced that this is some kind of degenerative disease that may become serious in the long run if not treated early. I am 37 and I think it started when I was  around 30years old. It started with a very few cracking sounds and getting more by the years.
Just very recently I have discovered a nutritional company specializing in degenerative diseases.and I tried some of their products and I have experienced some relief progress. I have used the product for about a month yet but I think about 50% of the sounds is reduced. I am hoping to eliminate all of these in a couple more months. The products reduced my blood pressure as well as revitalized my dry skin which looks to be very promising .
im 28 i was in an accident when i was active duty military i was 21 then i have buldging disc from c-2 through c-6 dizzy spells, bad headaches, half of my hand has starting to feel like its asleep all the time, and i have a syrnix at the t-2 level and a burnning feeling in the middle of my back, i had herniated disc at l-4 l-5 and l5 s-1 but i had the lower back fixed my point is it doesnt get better it gets worse after time
an x-ray shows nothing you need a mri
My neck pain started when I fell asleep with my head propped up at a severe angle while reading. I believe a lack of blood flow caused a condition called dystonia. I won't go into the details of dystonia, but if you do a search on it there is plenty of info. I will say one thing tho'. I've found some relief when the pain becomes frustrating by lightly touching my cheeks or under my chin. Weird, but it works.
check your vitamin D !!! lack in vitamin D cause neck stiffness!

and muscles and bones pains!!!

take some magnesium too to relax your muscles

I found this interesting article !

Thanks for writing!

The grinding noise comes because the bones in your neck have seperated one from the other and are not moving as a neck as they should. Each little bone is going its own way and is lost from the other bones.

The best was to fix it to to go to a good chiropractor and get them put back together. Go to www.sorsi.com, www.icak.com and www.soto-usa.com and look for a good chiropractor near you.

Here is an exercise you can do in the meantime.

The crunching in you neck is a sign that the bones are not fitting together as they should. The little piece of slick bone on one vertebrae (a neck bone) is not sitting down on the little slick piece of bone on the next vertebrae.

There is a home exercise you can do that will correct it. And it is this.

Standing or laying on your back, keep your face straight forward. Do not tilt the chin down or up. If you are lying on your back, move the face toward the ceiling is such a way that if it touched the ceiling, your face would be flat on the ceiling. If you are standing, move it straight forward in such a way that your forehead and chin would touch the wall in front of you at the same time. It has to go straight forward.

Holding that position, move your chin in a figure eight pattern. Imagine the wall is a piece of paper. You have a pencil sticking straight out from your chin. Use the tip of the pencil to write a "8" laying on its side. {}-{}. That is the closest I can get to showing the motion on this computer!

When done correctly, the neck will then make a crunching noise at the base of the skull. This is good. It will help your neck. It might not take the crunching sound out right away, but it will ensure that no damage is done and in fact will correct the problem if one persists in using it.

Does this answer you question?

If not, go to www.sorsi.com, www.icak.com and www.soto-usa.com and look for a good chiropractor near you. They cn go over the exercise with you. It if from Dr. DeJarnette's writing.

Dr. Rozeboom

Thanks for the help

I saw your post and noticed it was a few years back.  I don't know if you are still on this site.  I just wanted to ask if you used a topical rub with angelica or did you take it internally.  I don't know much about this herb or if you can even take it internally.  If you can let me know what you did to get relief I would love to know.
I know these posts are old but I just thought to look this up.  I too get the noise when I move my head.   My neck never really feels like it's in a comfortable position and I always seem to be aware of it but I wouldn't say there's any pain there.  I also get lots of headaches and have wondered if that is part of it.  I don't ever recall having a spinal injury or any other kind of back pain, so am not sure what would cause disc displacement or herniation.  I did go to a chiropractor but he did nothing to help.  I am just wondering if anyone has heard anything since the original post. I should say that I did ask my GP and he said everyone hears that but I think he was blowing me off on that as I was there for Labrynthitis.  Any new news?
The neck crackling sound is most likely because we spend WAY TOO MUCH TIME at the computer without moving our heads.  We bend it down or back, but mostly it's stiff.  Improve your posture, look up some techniques.  Posture will improve all of your bones and muscles. Try to always be aware of it.  ALWAYS.   I've noticed a huge difference. Thanks.
thank you !! I have low vitamin and B12 !!! Would never have thought this !
I cant read all the posts and not sure if anyone mentioned this because a lot of the posts i have read sound just like a condition i have been dealing with since I was 19.  It is one of the most undiscovered degenerate arthritis call ANKYLOSING SPONDILITUS .. Not sure on spelling..just read about it and ask doctor..its a simple blood test..hope it helps
I have been getting the crackling noise in my neck just at the base of my skull, I have been off work for an upper back injury so Ive been more inactive than usual as my job involves a lot of driving, maybe it is not enough movement...Im going to ask my doc and then I'll post what he says, glad I'm not alone on this though, kinda helps knowing others get the same thing...
Dear Community,

I am 13 years old and live in New York. I went to my doctor and he ordered and xray and MRI. Both were fine and it turns out the noise is caused by stress that builds up and causes muscle stiffness and tension. I hope this helps you all.

Sincerely,
    Ronald

i like rice cripes and i have this 2 and im only 13 help!!!!!
Yes i too have the same problem. Nothing is serious,  just you need to do is some regular basis exercise.
No man I do not think this is some serious issue, If you are not having any pain then it is fine. This is normal in everyone. If you are feeling relaxed then it is not a sign for health problem. When we work hard and then move our body then it may occur.
Is there a possibility that you have been bitten by a tick at any time prior to the onset of the crackling?  This crackling is also a little known symptom that occurs with Lyme disease which you get from an infected tick.
I have DDD Degenerate Disk Decease.  The crinding is worse after I sleep 5 to 6 hours.  Most nights I get up between 2 and 3 am and drink coffee sitting in the recliner.  About 30 to 60 minutes later the pain goes away.  I also have ringing in the ears.  I started Lipo Flavanoid on Feb 2 1013.  I suffer with chronic tension headaches since 2001.  I hate waking up in the middle of the night with the head pain and have to get out of bed.  The longer I stay, the worse the pain gets.  I am used to it now.  One thing, I don't want to die too old since I have to live with this pain until I die.  The only way to get rid of it is death.  It's not that I would hurt myself, I just would not make a good old woman being  bedridden.
I am so sorry that so many young people suffer with it.  Only people with the same pain know what we are going through.  I pray for all of you to find some kind of relief.
Lis
where do you find this herb? I am suffering from these crakling noises and muscles spasm in my head and would like to try it..
thanks
nena
I know this is years later hope someone reads it. I am 29 and the last year have had pain, stiffness, and grinding odd cracking noises in ny neck. Also major headaches in the back of my head that get severe....xray came back normal except my neck is abnormally straight i was told due to muscle spasms. I recently did a no contrast MRI and have scheduled a EMG. What if the dr finds nothing on my MRI? I know there's something wrong....I just need to find out what it is, after my xray the dr thought I was embellishing I think, when in fact I was downplaying some of my symptoms. I did tell him that ny fingers go numb a lot. I think I am to old for srthritis or ddd right? And wouldnt that have shown on my xrays??? Someobne please email me your opinion. ***@****
The McKenzie Neck is the best advice I've heard. I sit at a desk all day and tend to lean forward with one shoulder inching up toward my ear. I am constantly trying to keep good posture. Besides working on my core muscles I will also check out this out. Thank you
I've scanned most all of the comments here and only one person came close to what I believe is the answer. Trigger Point therapy/ Massage Therapy.
Most everyone has had an MRI or X-Ray and several doctors telling them nothing is wrong. I don't believe it is your bones or degeneration, I believe it is your muscles and something called Fascia or connective tissue. Please Google Image this. We had so much of it superficial and deep in our neck.  This connective tissue is designed to help our muscles slide easily over each other and to help hold other soft tissues together. When this becomes tight it causes issues in surrounding muscles. MASSAGE will greatly help release the fascia and the muscles in the surrounding neck and shoulders. Regularly treatments will most certainly help get rid of the krispy crunchy sound and will also alleviate  headache and the other issues posted by all here. Before you spend tons of money on doctors and pricey test go get your neck worked on my by a licensed massage/bodywork. Done! I've been  a bodyworker for 12 years, if you don't feel better after your first session I'll eat my hat!
I have the fusion. C4-C7. It has been a major blessing, I had it done 4 yrs ago in  July.
So pleased to find this topic exists as I have just noticed this crackling/crunching at the base of my skull tonight on turning my neck from side to side. I am just getting over the worst of a cold and have had blocked ears for most of the day today. Not sure whether the noise is part of the congestion or anything more concerning. Comments welcome.
wht the heck is up dizzy head aches migraines a poping sound a stiff neck can some tell me wht the heck iam 37 and it is so bad I cant work and I hv a a lot of back pain knw I stopped smoking in febuary and my cat scan was normal iam going threw a ths test for thyroid and I keep getting told it is aneixty no it is not I knw my body help plz ism misabrle
I have the same problem I noticed first in my knees.  I hear the crackling and crunching only when I straighten out my knee all the way.  I started doing this a lot to show people then after a few weeks my knees were really sore and felt hot to the touch.  This made me realize that I was making my knee worse.  I think it probably is the cartilage or connective tissue that has broken down over the years.  I did a lot of weight lifing and espescially leg extensions in my younger years.  So my advice is to minimize the stretching or twisting, or at least go much more carefully.
Try following "The Alexander Technique", plus, drink adequate water or fluids. Alcohol consumption needs to be balanced with water intake.
How are you feeling now after two years? The reason why I'm asking is that I have the same symptoms. Can you email me with an update please?
Thanks,
Thanks,
Neck bones, knee joints, crackle noises could be helped by Hyaluronic acid supplements.. Its provides / builds synovial fluid which is normally in the body as cushion in between the bones, cervical disks (neck) also skin  (wrinles) - but decreases as we age, like everything else. It was featured on NBC news by Diane Sawyer, these people in an area of Japan were in their late 80's to 100's and they were still functioning like 50 year olds or so.. Its the secret of their youth, but it comes from their food .. What's in their food is Hyaluronic acid. It comes as pill supplements available at most Vitamin stores and on line.
I am having the same problem to ...i think mine is happening from too much stretching in yoga...it has been two weeks from now and it doesn't go away. It becomes annoying...I am thinking of go and see a doctor now :(
This may be caused by sleeping without a pillow or on a deformed mattress for some time. Also after increased use of my laptop or book in bad posture.You can get some relief from slowly stretching and  rotating  neck and shoulders in one direction and then another and prayer.

Inspired1.
At least this is was my experience.  However If the nerves are affected in this area and you feel pain rather than discomfort (Concept from Biology and first aid) I would recommend you see a professional as rotation then could cause problems. otherwise mild rotation an stretching should help and a good pillows and posture especially if you are tall (concept from "Moments" and tension in Physics).
Do not go to a chiropractor unless you have multiple and specific, positive references.  My cracking noises began after I went to a chiropractor and he yanked my head, without warning.  I went with a leg issue and came out with lower skull pain, stiff neck and back AND a upper thoracic vertebra out of position!
I have crispy sounds in the back of the head when I move my head sometimes, it actually help me because my sight vision is sometimes blurry, I suspect it's because of short-sightnedess. I'm 28, and I'm short sighted, I have dioptre -10 on the left eye, (-2.25 on the right) and I believe that's the main reason of these symphtoms. Are the majority of you who experience these sympthoms actually very shortsighted? If you are and have possible solution, please, answer me on my e-mail, it's ***@**** THANK YOU!
I have crispy sounds in the back of the head when I move my head sometimes, it actually help me because my sight vision is sometimes blurry, I suspect it's because of short-sightnedess. I'm 28, and I'm short sighted, I have dioptre -10 on the left eye, (-2.25 on the right) and I believe that's the main reason of these symphtoms. Are the majority of you who experience these sympthoms actually very shortsighted? If you are and have possible solution, please, answer me on my e-mail, (please just join the letters) the mail is: v l a d a 2 3 3 @ h o t m a i l  . c o m
I have crispy sounds in the back of the head when I move my head sometimes, it actually help me because my sight vision is sometimes blurry, I suspect it's because of short-sightnedess. I'm 28, and I'm short sighted, I have dioptre -10 on the left eye, (-2.25 on the right) and I believe that's the main reason of these symphtoms. Are the majority of you who experience these sympthoms actually very shortsighted? If you are and have possible solution, please, answer me on my e-mail, (please just join the letters) the mail is: v l a d a 2 2 3 @ h o t m a i l  . c o m
I am 43 years old now and when I was 21 years old I was in a very bad car accident and had a broken neck. I broke cervical 4 5 & 6 and ever since I have heard the same crackling, grinding, crunching pooping sounds and it terrifies me.  I always think my neck is going to break again.  I was walking with a broken neck for at least 5 days and I was unaware of it. I was so scared I did not even want to google the question as to whether or not this happens to other people but now that I have I'm a little more at ease feeling as if this is something a lot of people have I have gone to the chiropractor I have gotten xrays and they sayid my neck is normal. I hope this is true, I get very scared whenever I hear the noise I don't even want to move my neck back and forth sometimes.
Ive been getting it more often.i have early degenerative arthritis in my cervical spine but never heard a crackling. I noticed its from not sleeping on a proper pillow, try one that form fits around your head. I noticed when I used it the crackling stopped.
I have had the crackling in and off for years. I have had a lot of neck trauma in my life which I'm sure is a big contributor. I also get a lot of pain and stiffness in my neck, but found a good chiropractor that has helped. Had a c-spine MRI a few months back and early signs of osteoarthritis were found (no surprise to this former football player) My neck problems are annoying, but not a sign of anything serious. Lots of heat packs, analgesic gel, massage, chiropractor, and a good quality pillow.
A lot of it has to do with your posture. Leaning too forward when using the computer or tablet causes your spine to bend and discs become uneven in thickness -- thinner on the front end and bulgy thick on the back end where it can press on your spinal cord. This causes pain and a muscular system that goes haywire (spasm), and muscle guarding to protect the cord (stiffneck) -The formula for degenerative disease.

Moving and turning that bent spine on uneven discs with unequally toned muscles will be pretty rough on the edges. Ahh, that cracking and grinding sound that feels good for a moment as the buldge momentarily unpinch the nerve, and then back again.

Watch your posture. Get your spine straight and those discs leveled. Stretch and exercise to build a balanced muscle strength that will hold that spine straight. Get a Chiro to mobilize and decompress that spine and do the recommended exercises for the muscles to relearn the renewed range of motion. Otherwise, they will revert back to the position where they have built their strength -- that forward bent posture even without the LED screen.
"THIS WILL HELP YOU"!!  My neck was popping all the time. The rice crispy sound everyone is talking about.  It was getting worse.  I really thought I would have to go to the doctor or a chiropractor.  I realized that I was looking down at my laptop computer a lot more than usual.  Plus, I texted on my phone while looking down.  I thought maybe looking down all the time was contributing to the popping of my neck.  I decided to set my laptop at an angle when working on it where I would not be looking down.  Also, when texting I raised my phone so that I wouldn't be looking down.  I know you might think this is crazy....but slowly but steadily my neck popped less and less.  Now, my neck NEVER pops.  It has been about 2 months since I remember it popping at all.  It might take a little bit of time, but keep at it.  Try not to look down but keep your head level when looking at your computer or phone.  Hope this helps!

In addition to the post of sunee of apr 29th 2013, I think she is right. I have been diagnosed with a worn out disc too and my symptoms have progressed since then. After a chiropractical correction i only had pain when retracting my head. Then came arm pain then tingling sensations. Chiro said it is probably an osteophyte, but I have never believed that.

In many cases it is a sign of cartilage degeneration called crepetus. In it itself it is annoying sound but not dangerous.

I have been a stomach sleeper from young age and have had forward head posture for years, which has straightened my cervical spine. It wore out my discs, and that causes your muscles to tighten to give support to the neck structure. That can lead to reffered pain, In my case a nerve that is being severely compressed. Sadly many people with degenerated discs go for surgery bbut in many cases it does not diminish the pain symptoms since the discs didn't cause the pain. Surgery often only works with spinal and nerve compression due to a herniated disc.

I visited a triggerpoint therapist and as I expected i have some big triggerpoints in my pectoral muscle, my serratus, my infraspinatus and trapezius. I am massaging them now and the pain is centering more in my arm, I just need to find the triggerpoint that causes that pain. My pain in the neck is now gone.

Lastly, when you get degenerated disc disease (it is not a disease though, stop what causes is and the degeneration diminishes), the cause is often forward head posture. In that case you can bet that your deep cervical flexors have become to weak and your neck extensors have become too tight. You have to strenghten them, that often helps relieving pain and.

They also say that degenerated cartilage can not be rebuild. I dont believe that, but you need to create the perfect conditions  for the body to have a fighting chance to start repairs. This means perfectly lenghtened muscles, perfect diet (high fat low carb, moderate protein, no processed foods etc), no triggerpoints, necessary supplements, lots of pure filtered water and the right training regimen and stretching.

Very difficult, but i am going to see if i can get there.

Everyone good luck with this annoying symptom
Yes, me too and sometimes I have to poop along with it.  Triangle poops.