Back & Neck Community
craniocervical instability

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

craniocervical instability

Does anyone have a neck instability called a craniocervical instability?  I am in severe chronic pain with this, and cannot get any help from the medical system.  I am wondering what kinds of things have helped with the pain, or what avenues you have pursued to address it.  Thanks.
if you can't get any help from the medical system,which means it's  serious. unfortuately,alternative med may be just little help.so ,I would strongly recommend that you see a local neurosurgeon quickly for a second opinion. Good luck!
I suffered a backwards fall way back in 2002 and suffered a progressive condition following this, there were many many symptoms including various pains (some excrutiating!).  I endured this state day in day out for at least 5 years before finding a relief, this came in the form of a Philadelphia Collar and Body Brace, fitted by the Spinal Injuries Unit in 2007 - WOW what a difference this made!!!!  It resolved much of the pain issues with immediate effect and over time diminished many of the symptoms to a tolerable level. I wore this 24/7 for 3 years (it was classed as the conservative method of treatment), I now just wear the collar part 24/7.

By 2008 I had taken myself across the Atlantic from the UK to the TCI in New York, where I underwent an Invasive Cervical Traction procedure which highlighted the fact that I had suffered a subtle ligamentous injury which had left me with Craniocervical Instability and that was causing many of my problems.  They immediately recommended 'Fixation Surgery' but I'm having a great deal of trouble getting anyone to actually carry out this procedure here in the UK.
Barbara