Back & Neck Community
degenerative disc disease

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

degenerative disc disease

I just recently had an MRI showing a mild degenerative disc disease at L3-4; degenerative disc disease with mild bulging and a shallow central disc protrusion slightly indenting the thecal sac without spinal stenosis or foraminal narrowing at L4-L5 level; and degenerative disc disease and mild bulging with endplate degenerative change, small central disc protrusion is seen without significant indentation on the thecal sac or disc, the disc protrusion is in contact with right S1 nerve root without displacement of the nerve root at L5-S1 level.  This is causing pain in my lower back and throughout my right leg. Is there anything I can do or take to make the condition better, and eventually have it go away or do I have to have surgery to fix it?
I suffer from degenerative disc disease as well in my L4 and L5.  One of the bulging discs was pinching my sciatic nerve, causing pain down my left leg.  I had three sets of cortisone injections directly in the disc, and have been pain free for two years.  It took 6 months to kick in, but it significantly reduced the pain and is a less invasive option than surgery.  Most orthopedic surgeons recommend this option.