Back & Neck Community
discectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

discectomy

I am 29 yrs old diagnosed with L5 S1 herniated disk with anular tear. Suffering from sciatica for about 10 month now. Tried all conventional therapies which didn't work. Scheduled for microdiscectomy on 9 th of June. I have a physically intensive job which I do love. I am required to be able to lift or move 50-100 pounds at times. Usually others help. My quesion do I need to consider changing my job since I was told that I am at risk for reherniation.  Basically I want to know how careful do I have to be after this procedure???
From all that I have read, it takes a long time, up to a year sometimes, to recover full strength from this type operation. And yes, the do recommend a change in jobs if possible. Is this a work-related injury? If so, you would probably qualify for re-training, if your doctor says you can't return to same job. Good luck on your surgery.
hi Natalia7
i have had a discectomy l5-s1 and was experiencing but pain the same day
it has been at least 8 weeks and i am worse off than i was before surgery, so i do not label it a success. my advice to you would be to find another job where you don't lift, it is bound to happen again with the slightest effort, and your dr should inform you about that , good luck

It takes up to a better part of a year for nerve pain to heal. If you have any type of nerve entrapment, you may not get immediate results. I had a L5-S1 fusion with a L4 and L5 laminectomy a much more invasive type of procedure.  It took me about 18 months to feel back normal again.  So there is still hope even for Stillinpain.

Natalia7 you are still young and most likely very physically fit based upon the description of your job.  Chances are that you will fly through the discectomy and be returned to light duty in a matter of a month or two.  But please keep in mind, it takes time to heal.  Follow your surgeons guidelines and don't over do it.  Probably in 4-6 months you will be back on top of your world.  

Best wishes, and sending all of you healing thoughts and prayers.

RandyD  Ventura, CA