Back & Neck Community
elderly woman xray shows T11T12 wedging??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Hi everyone my mother is 80 and has been in terrible pain for over 2 weeks since she fell. The dr sent her for xrays and next week she has a bone scan with dye to look closer. At the dr he told us she had an old compression fracture in T10 and L1 then said theres a new one in T11 and T12. I am reading the xray and it nowhere says its fractured. It says:
There is anterior wedging of T11 and T12 .Or does that actually mean fractured?
In the comment section where they summarise it has:
There is osteoporosis of the skeletal parts & old compression fractures of T10 and L1 present.
Also and what I think is the major pain she has it lists that theres curve from muscle in spasm.

Ok so if theres a new fracture why is it not in the comment sumary or any recomendation for further investigation?I am thinking the dr has seen something when he looked at the xray himself and wants more tests I asked her dr if there is a fracture on the dye scan can they actually do anything anyway? no was the answer,she lives alone can still shower dress herself and cook. I just feel all this further trauma with more tests is so pointless. They ran 100s of heart tests 2 yrs ago to end up saying shes to high risk to do anything anyway, which they knew before the testing, same with her foot,they cannot fix it so why run painful expensive tests?
Anyway having a bit of a vent on here I apologise its frustrating dealing with an elderly disabled mother.
Oh and shes on panadol osteo,endone and some patch he gave last night so shes bombed but says pain is still 9 out of 10, the dr did say if she cant handle pain he cannot give her anymore stronger meds and should be in hospital where shes monitored, she has a multitude of heart blood and health problems.anyway comments much appreciated
Hi!
Anterior wedging simply means a compression fracture at the anterior part of the vertebra. The compression fractures occur due to osteoporosis which your mother has. This is treated conservatively usually as there is usually no spinal cord involvement. This is treated with rest, pain medication, physiotherapy, calcium supplements and calcitonin. Braces are often not advised as they further weaken an osteoporotic spine. Surgery is rarely indicated in en elderly woman of 80 years. Please however, consult your mother’s doctor regarding this. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.