Back & Neck Community
explanation of mri of neck and back

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

explanation of mri of neck and back

I was injured while working in a grocery store in 2010. x rays and mri were taken.  I have questions as to what the mri means as I have been sent from one doctor to another and get different diagnosis of my injury.  Xrays said bulging disc in neck, t-6 compression fracture that they said was old and some arthritis.  Diagnosis for xrays:  myofacial syndrome.  Three months later an MRI was taken.
MRI Cervical Spine.  Findings:  Subcholdral marrow signal changes are noted on both sides of the C5-6 disc space which have a degenerative pattern.  In addition there is a 8 x 5 mm cystic area on the posterior right upper aspect of C6.  Marrow signal elsewhere is normal.  There is no Chiari malformation.  The cervical cord is normal in course and contour.  The signal in the cord is normal throughout its observed course.  Alignment is anatomic.  There is no perivertebral abnormality.  Visualized soft tissues appear normal.  
C1-2: no specific abnormality
C2-3 and C3-4:  no specific abnormality
C4-5:  There is small anterior spur.  There is left facet hypertrophy with spur posteriorly.  there appears to be mild left foraminal narrowing.
C5-6:  Prominent anterior spur formation noted with end-plate changes and modic signal changes.  Posterior spondylitic ridging is noted with associated bulging of the disc and uncevertebral spurs.  The subchondral cyst is noted in the right aspect of C6.  AP diameter of the central canal is 8 mm in the mid sgittal plane.  Posteriorly there is facet hypertrophy and spur formation left is greater than right.  Overall there appears to be mild central canal narrowing as well as moderate left foraminal narrowing.
C6-7:  Ther is posterior ridging with central to right lateral slight protrusion of the disc posteriorly there is facet and ligamenta flava hypertrophy, however, the central canal and foramina do appear maintained at this level.
C7-T1-2:  THere is no specific abnormality is apparent.  Vascular flow voids apear maintained.
IMPRESSION:
1.  At C4-5 there is mild left foraminal narrowing
2.  At C5-6 there is mild central canal narrowing and moderate left forminal narrowing.
3.  Prominent spurring is noted at this level with a cystic change in the C-6Vertebral body.
4.  Other degenerative changes at other levels, no stenosis at other levels.
MRI Thoracic spine.  Findings:  There is a hemangioma from a non expansile to T12.  There are a few levels of fairly end plate modic changes associalted with anterior spurring.  These include T6-7 and T7-8, T10-11 and L1-2.  Marrow signal is otherwise within normal limits. Cord is normal in contour and signal throughout its course.  There is no evidence for central stenosis of foraminal stenosis at any level in the thoraic spine.  Visualized portions of the thoracec aorta have normal diameter.  No obvious paravertebral abnormalities apparent.  The posterior ligamenta structures are intact.

T6-7:  THere is slight posterior spurring with associated small protrusions and no stenosis.  There appeared to be slight wedging of the T9 which appears old.
IMPRESSION:
1.  No focal abnormalities evident in the thoracic spine.
2.  Scattered degenerative changes as listed above.

Can too much bending, heavy lifting and twisting at work make the dics bulge in the neck as well as cause the fractures that were noted.  I have never in my life had this kind of pain that will not go away.  I would like to know what all of this means, as I have been diagnosed with DDD cervical spine,  cervical spinal stenosis, fybromyalgy, a broken back, etc.  I have been to PT now for four months, and my PT says that the pain is from the neck and that the pain is my body going into protective mode.  I have been able to begin walking on treadmill for ten minutes and it goes well, but when I walk outdoors my arms will go heavy and pain will run down from the top of my neck, down the middle to middle right of my back and my lower back.  For hours after I will get what I call zingers in my head and pain in my mid back that sometimes wraps around my right rib cage.  The best way that I can relieve the pain is to lay flat on the floor or go to bed and sleep as it drains all energy.  If I do not keep the injury constantly on my brain all I have to do is step wrong, or turn my head wrong, or just lift a coffee cup and I get pain sometimes to where it about drops me to the ground.  What do I need to do to make this pain STOP!  
Hi there!

The MRI describes multiple degenerative changes at C4/C5, C5/C6, C6/C7 and multiple thoracic levels of the spine with narrowing of the spinal canal and the spaces that carry the spinal nerves at C4/C5 and C5/C6. Also seen is a cyst at C6 and a haemangioma at T12. These could be responsible for your symptoms while associated issues may need to be considered as well. It would be best to discuss the report and the possible mode of management that would suit the best at this stage in detail with your treating orthopedician/ neurologist.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!