Back & Neck Community
fusion c5-c6 loose screws

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

fusion c5-c6 loose screws

I had surgery on May 2, 2012.  surgeon put in plate and four screws.I have been having pain again now for about a month or little more.  They did another CT scan on August 20th.  I saw the Dr on Friday August 25th. He said in all the surgeries he has ever done that he has not seen this before.  He says I have two loose screws.  He has put me back in my Aspen neck brace.  He says eight weeks.  in may I had a disc rupture they did surgery.  when I woke up from surgery my pain was gone.  he also told me that I had two discs above this that are buldged.  And above that there is degenerative disc disease.   Was the doctor wrong.  Are my screw loose because degenerative problem and the bones wont hold?  I heard him tell his PA that he might have to go back in.  has anyone else had this?  Is it common or is this something my doctor messed up?
I also had a c5-c6 fusion using hip bone and 2 plates and 4 screws. Within 6 weeks one of my screws had started backing out, so I had surgery again! They put in some "surgical wire" (to me it looks like fishing line), but did nothing about the screw. I am still in severe pain 10 years later and was told that I had DDD, but if it was before or after. Now I cannot find a doctor to fix it. They all say that its "fine" ! Trying to explain the pain and loss of ROM is something noone understands unless they have been there. I still have very little strength in my Righ arm. I just wish someone would be willing to fix the problem so that I could live pain free, or at least have less pain. Good luck to you, I hope you end up better than me!
I don't know where you are from, but I had very bad neck pain for years the pain would go up my left side of my neck to the front of my eye and kept me in bed every time it acted up, which was 1 or 2 times week bad. I had epidurals, trigger shots acupuncture and Chiropractor noting helped me.. I went for many MRIS I had a 2 pinched nerves my doctor told me he wouldn't usually operate but the nerve conduction test showed that i was very sensitive in the C5 -C6. area. I told him I knew something was wrong it is impossible to be in the pain I am in and  not be serious enough to operate. So he did operate and remove the the disk and put in a spacer, plate and 4 screws. After The operation he told me that the disc was bulging into the nerve. My Point is you need to push if you are misrable and in pain. My doctor is Dr Mark Eskenazie in Delray, Forida. It has been 10 days and so far no problem. Thank God Liz.